Shell petrol stations suspend chip 'n' pin payments

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2006, 03:10 PM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shell petrol stations suspend chip 'n' pin payments

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4980190.stm

Doesnt say how the Scum got the pins but you might want to check your Bank Balances just in case

Nick

Shell said the suspension of chip and pin was a temporary measure
Petrol giant Shell has suspended chip-and-pin payments in 600 UK petrol stations after more than £1m was siphoned out of customers' accounts.
Eight people, including one from Guildford, Surrey, and another from Portsmouth, Hants, have been arrested in connection with the fraud inquiry.

The Association of Payment Clearing Services (Apacs) said the fraud related to just one petrol chain.

Shell said it hoped to reintroduce chip-and-pin as soon as possible.

Plastic crime

The fraud is being investigated by the Metropolitan Police cheque and plastic crime unit.

"These Pin pads are supposed to be tamper resistant, they are supposed to shut down, so that has obviously failed," said Apacs spokeswoman Sandra Quinn.

She said Apacs was confident the problem was specific to Shell and not a systemic issue.

A Shell spokeswoman said: "Shell's chip-and-pin solution is fully accredited and complies with all relevant industry standards.

Chip and pin cards are designed to prevent fraud

"We have temporarily suspended chip-and-pin availability in our UK company-owned service stations.

"This is a precautionary measure to protect the security of our customers' transactions.

"You can still pay for your fuel, goods or services with your card by swipe and signature.

"We will reintroduce chip-and-pin as soon as it is possible, following consultation with the terminal manufacturer, card companies and the relevant authorities."

Shell has nearly 1,000 outlets in the UK, 400 of which are run by franchisees who will continue to use chip-and-pin.

BP is also looking into card fraud at petrol stations in Worcestershire but it is not known if this is connected to chip-and-pin.
Old 07 May 2006, 03:37 PM
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

That explains why I had to sign for my Optimax this afternoon
Old 07 May 2006, 04:40 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I filled up at a Tesco's a few weeks back and all I needed to do was feed my card into the pump. No PIN, no signature, no minimum wage attendant who doesn't give a **** anyhow and is probably in on the scam. It was the same when I bought petrol in France recently too. Surely having no security whatsoever is asking for trouble
Old 07 May 2006, 04:43 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Buy the sounds of it they tampered with the card readers. Which ever way, chances are it was an inside job.

I will be asking support next time I'm on days. I know we could do it, but then thats hardly a suprise considering what the company does.
Old 07 May 2006, 04:53 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
Buy the sounds of it they tampered with the card readers. Which ever way, chances are it was an inside job.

I will be asking support next time I'm on days. I know we could do it, but then thats hardly a suprise considering what the company does.
If it's the same thing as I read weeks ago, then apparently a large percentage of the machines built for Shell allowed for a replacement chip to be inserted into the machines, to read and store card details, or something along those lines.

Customers I believe were then being charged twice.

Inside knowledge of the machines workings has to be favourite.
Old 07 May 2006, 05:23 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Dont effect me....... I used to use Optimax all the time - now use Tesco 99 Ron which is much better.........
Old 07 May 2006, 05:44 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Don't get too smug - there are only a few manufacturers of these machines around. It doesn't take a genius to work out of it can be done with one, it could well happen with another.
Old 07 May 2006, 06:04 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
Don't get too smug - there are only a few manufacturers of these machines around. It doesn't take a genius to work out of it can be done with one, it could well happen with another.
For those who keep saying why worry about ID cards if you've got nothing to hide, well here's another example of supposedly secure electronic transactions being circumvented by criminals.
Old 07 May 2006, 07:47 PM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

ive been charged twice, on two occasions now by shell, but both time they have refunded the amount the following day. So i always check my shell payments thoroughly, not happened since.

both a few months ago now, doubt its related in anyway but did only happen with my new chip and pin card never before.

Mark
Old 08 May 2006, 02:39 AM
andyr
Scooby Regular

I like the statement from Shell -
"Shell's chip-and-pin solution is fully accredited and complies with all relevant industry standards. "

That doesn't exactly give a high level of confidence in the high level of security incorporated in the "industry standard " does it if it is easily overcome by the cashiers ?
Seems to me to be a case of the new secure chip-and-pin is not secure and very soon there will be a big change to it - new cards and card readers required maybe !?
Old 08 May 2006, 08:23 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To my knowledge Chip and Pin has been functional in much of continental Europe for around a decade without mass fraud taking place.

Does this mean that British criminals are simply better than European ones or is it that the UK system is poorly designed and/or implemented?
Old 08 May 2006, 08:42 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
To my knowledge Chip and Pin has been functional in much of continental Europe for around a decade without mass fraud taking place.

Does this mean that British criminals are simply better than European ones or is it that the UK system is poorly designed and/or implemented?
Mostly the latter, which is in part, why I have so many concerns about an ID card / database.
Old 08 May 2006, 08:53 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OllyK
Mostly the latter, which is in part, why I have so many concerns about an ID card / database.
and you'd be right to be concerned.
C&P is not rocket science, so I am confused how can it go so wrong.
Old 08 May 2006, 08:55 AM
ChrisB

I have one of the Trintech terminals, which seem to be the most common in Shell Garages I've used, on my desk at the moment for eval purposes.

Waiting for me on e-mail this morning was a firmware upgrade for it...
Old 08 May 2006, 08:58 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I received an email at work from a colleague who this happened to.

The staff positioned the camera to see the keypad, they then would pretend to drop your card, swipe it into a reader, and use the cctv camera to get the PIN later.

Or at least this is what my work colleague was told by Surrey Police.

For the locals, the Shell petrol stations in Guildford and Woking were in question, although I don't think Burnt Common was. Best check those credit card statements when they come in.
Old 08 May 2006, 09:04 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

and you'd be right to be concerned.
C&P is not rocket science, so I am confused how can it go so wrong.
I heard on the radio this morning that they had managed to fit skimming devices to the C&P readers.

There are plenty of ways to get a PIN, the easiest being to just look over the person's shoulder. But you can use cameras etc etc, and I've even come across one old dear in the Co-op who when asked to enter her PIN speaks it out loud as she enters it
Old 08 May 2006, 09:05 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Had to sign for my petrol on saturday, now I know why
Old 08 May 2006, 09:19 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Does this mean that British criminals are simply better than European ones
Thought it was normally gangs of east europeans who do all the plastic frauds.

I pay cash.Don't trust anyone after having had a card cloned
Old 08 May 2006, 09:25 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

The staff positioned the camera to see the keypad, they then would pretend to drop your card, swipe it into a reader, and use the cctv camera to get the PIN later.

Or at least this is what my work colleague was told by Surrey Police.
Sounds all too likely -- why bother hacking and developing bits of code when you can do it simply .....
Old 08 May 2006, 10:34 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Thats not much good if it is all due to a second chip inside the reader hutton,

Just goes to show that any information which is converted digitally is unsafe somehow or other. What price the security of ID cards then?

Les
Old 08 May 2006, 11:12 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Sorry if I wasn't clear - but the tea leafs still need the PIN. The 'cover your hand when typing' prevents them from using the camera to do this. I realise they have still cloned the card. You can also try and ensure that you are the one that puts the card in the machine.
So many things are possible. There are so many different types of PIN / Card reader that people may not notice differences or something odd about one. If somebody at the shop in question plans to clone cards, it wouldn't be a massive issue to replace the card reader with a faked one that just records the buttons you press and clones the card details. I don't know if such things are about yet - but expect to start seeing them, especially the wireless style ones that get used in restaurants. Scum has your card details and PIN in one easy step!
Old 08 May 2006, 11:27 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Only safe Shell in Guildford was the one on Ladymead - all the others had been reported to be part of this scam............
Old 09 May 2006, 03:54 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks hutton.

Les