Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

HD question

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2006, 03:45 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HD question

OK, if you get Sky HD, you need a HD box, apparently because the signal is different, but possibly because Sky are theiving *******s.

Anyway, my question is, will you need another freeview receiver to receive the HD stuff when it comes?

I notice Panasoninc flogging a HD LCD TV with integrated freeview receiver, but they don't say whether it can recieve HD signal through this or not, but go on about it being future proof.

Anyone know?

Geezer
Old 05 May 2006, 03:51 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

My understanding (and I haven't dug in to it) is that HD TV is about providing a higher resolution, in otherwords more pixels in the same amount of space giving a more detailed picture.

To be able to view that, the most obvious requirement is for a screen that can support higher than the standard TV resolution (can't recall what that is, but your average PC monitor can do way better), you then need to have a Tuner that can accept the signals and output the higher resolution image. In SKYs case, that's a new box. I assume as the BBC are trialing HD, the standards and mechanisms for transmitting HD over digital terestrial have been devised and if you buy a compatible box or all in 1 TV , it should be fine.
Old 05 May 2006, 03:51 PM
Vonzack
Scooby Regular

Yes you will need another box. The current raft of sky and freeview box's use MPEG2 decoding for SD, HD uses MPEG4 decoding (because there is more detail in the signal it needs better compression ratios for transmission).

Last edited by Vonzack; 05 May 2006 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05 May 2006, 04:04 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Thing is HD isnt available on Freeview at the mo because there isnt enough bandwidth for everybody until terrestrial is turned off, so until then you need a digital signal using a set top box that will have all the relevant decoders and connectors (Skys cheap *** Thomson box ) Or you can look at Telewest IIRC, Im sure they have something released atm.