Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave review, United in Hardcore 8/4/06

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2006, 11:12 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rave review, United in Hardcore 8/4/06

Its been a while since I've been to a rave in Northampton. A good few years now that I think about it, which is a shame cos all the times I've set off on a rave mission and turned off at Junction 15 of the M1, I've had a good time.
It was also the first thing I noticed when the flyer for United in Hardcore came into my posession. My first thought was that I didn't know anywhere in Northampton with an all night licence, but then I noticed the 4am finish time, which opened up options further to say the least.
Especially so when the rave is going off in the Home town of the Essential Platinum crew. Promotion is one of the most difficult jobs you can pick in the Hardcore scene, not least due to the financial risks involved (if you can think of an easier way to rinse up to 30K in one night, let me know) but the best way to minimise the losses is to cover all the bases well in advance.
The promoters made sure the obvious ones were covered by filling the lineup with guaranteed crowdpullers all the way. From the top to the bottom it was only the niggest and the best, with regard to both DJ and MC lineup. This was the reason those who were there on the night had Hixxy, Styles, Sy, Storm and Whizzkid, as well as EP's very own Dougal, Gammer, and Smiley in the place. Not forgetting the obligatory nod to Bristol's finest with Compulsion and Delicious in the place.
The only unknown quantity was the venue. IIRC, The Rocket has not been used for Hardcore before, despite the dynamic name above the front door. That, as well as not having a clue where in Northampton the place actually was, didn't deter me from jumping in the motor and pointing it up the M1.
Directions to the place were Sketchy to say the least, with several route planners drawing a blank when I entered the postcode given on the flyer. So, Upon entering the town centre, I used the same tactics I use to find Illegal raves. Switch off the engine and listen for the bass.
Eventually I found where I was meant to be, with a medium sized venue and respectable sized queue presenting itself, as well as, in a flashback from previous weeks, some in queue entertainment in the form of a couple of dreaded up jugglers outside the front entrance. Nice to look at while you were waiting, but the rave was calling me and I knew it. After negotiating the entrance (search free as well), I was in.
It was nice inside. Really nice. I've gradually gotten used to the concept of raving in nice clubs as opposed to cowsheds or converted warehouses with bouncy floors, but this was still nice. Although a single room (albeit very large) the place had been nicely done up with the dancefloor taking centre stage, with the bar opposite, as well as the DJ stand right in the middle of the room, together with seperate areas left and right to get away from the music and have a chat.
As well as that, there was a mezzanine level which had a balcony surrounding the dancefloor, as well as a second bar, merchandise stands, and the seemingly compulsary N2O stand. This, as well as a nice branded decor (I was especially fond of the huge inflatable UH logo suspended from the ceiling) which seemed to be everywhere, I was surprised at how well I took to the place when I've usually prefered dark and dusty raves to clubs.
Still a venue is only as good as the ravers who inhabit it and in that respect it didn't go wanting at all. When I got there, Compulsion and Delicious were on the decks and and the ravers in front of them were getting the night started in no uncertain terms. This, as well as the sublime tune selection I've come to expect from the pair from Bristol meant that getting on it was just a trip to the bar away.
When i had some water with me, I quickly noticed the rapidly swelling number of ravers on the dancefloor, so I joined them. Accompanying them on the mic was the one and only MC Obie, who, together with Compy and Delicious were doing a professional job of getting the party going.
This was mostly due to the specific tunes that were getting dropped. I'm an unashamed fan of Compulsion when he gets on the decks, but with the added dimension of Delecious as well, it meant only one thing. Serious amounts of high energy Hardcore.
Sometimes it takes a while to get going at raves, but here I was well away in no time at all. The busying dancefloor, the tunes, the steadily increasing number of friends saying hello, it all added up to good times. Obie was in his element here, making full use of the crowd to bounce lyrics off such as "You better hold tight" Especially so when tunes like "Come with me", "Elysium", "Hold me tonight" and my personal favourite "The Call" got dropped.
Next up with the night well and truly underway, was the turn of the raverbaby crew to get the place going. With the Bristol massive vacating the decks and Hixxy and Storm taking their place, the packed out dancefloor was seriously up for it and the DJ and MC didn't dissapoint.
Concentrating on the party portion of his record bag, Hixxy and Storm went for it as a well oiled machine. Plenty of upfront Hardcore to get the crew stomping. I was amongst that number, with "Show you the way", "Pullover", a very interesting remix of "See you on the other side", "Come with me" and not forgetting a healthy dose of new material all getting showcased.
As well as that, Storm was also making the most of things. Generally, he is at his best towards the end of the night, but despite the early showing, he was on top form, pumping out only his finest lyrics such as "Come alive", "Dark like Vader" and "21st Century Rush", as well as the first class interaction with the crowd he is known and loved for.
For the midnight set, it was the the turn of one of the promoters of the night to take to the decks. With the ravers left well and truely in to the mood from the preceeding DJs it was up to Dougal and Whizzkid to take the rave to the next level.
As I have said on many previous occasions, I like the way Dougal puts his sets together. Some of my best memories of rocking it down in the Sanctuary are down to this guy and as he would be determined to give his all on his first night as promotor, I was expecting good things.
Doubly so with Whizzkid by his side from the word go, it was everything I expected and more. Lots of rushy, euphoric, vocal based tunes which got me moving , as well as the rest of the crowd. Concentrating on the stuff which, while not cutting edge, was instantly recognisable was the best way to go and being the cheesy ****er that I am, also nice to sing along to while I was going for it.
Whizzkid's first appearence of the night was of similar high quality as his counterpart's of the preceeding set. With heavy concentration on his most recognisable lyrics, as well as his effortless connection with the crowd, Whizzkid provided the seriously danceable accompanyment to "All the tears I've cried", "Tell me a story", "Through the darkness", "Still the one" and "Shining down on me" with "True release", "What I am" and "Dreaming of a better day to name but a few.
No messing about anymore, once Dougal had had enough, Styles was in there like a shot, taking the 1-2 set. The place was as full as it was going to get and that was as close to "Nicely full" as possible. You could have got more people in, but seeing as there was no-one but hardcore ravers in the place (and they were making a beeline for the packed dancefloor) then there was plenty in there as well as not being too busy.
Still, with loads of ravers in the place to entertain, Styles and Storm were more than happy to accomodate. But this time, it was the way they came up with the goods that made it really special, with the noticably slow and acid based start making for a bizarre 303 led intro, backed up by storm dropping "We dont care" that led to the guts of the set.
And what a set it was. Entertaining, Surprising and very infectious on the dancing front, I got into it as soon as the bpms went upward of 170 and I was loving every minute of it.
Best of all, one of the first tunes he dropped was my clear favourite of the moment. I am, of course, talking about "Angel", the remix to be precise, as well as other winners such as "Save me", "You are my fantasy" and "You're shining" while Storm was with him all the way with "Bass Fire" and "Just Accept it"
With the party alternating between RBC and EP, the next DJ continued in that vein, with muffin music's main man, DJ Gammer stepping up for the 2-3 set.Together with the return of MC Whizzkid to the mic, the pair of them got to work.
Another EP DJ I have a lot of time for, Gammer underlined his eclectic nature by playing the most varied set of the night. Upfront, Classic and obscure, whichever you were into, Gammer sorted you out and then some. Most of what he played was a mystery to me, but despite me going for it non stop and loving every second of it, I also managed to ID "Still the one", "This is how we do it", "Raveheart", "Cry" and best of all, the new remix of "24/7".
Whizzkid was still in the zone as well, despite doing his usual trick of spending his spare hour fighting off the women before getting back on the mic and coming up with the goods, not to mention dropping "Free at Last", "Nightmare" and "Head in the clouds".
For the final set of the night, there was only one way to do things properly, the "honour" set went to the one and only Sy, with Storm right where he should be, on the mic. The crowd were just as up for it as they were at the start of the night, so the pair of them went for it in proper "power hour" stylee.
As usual, I never seemed to get bored with this pair's performance and tonight was no exception. This is cos I am so overstimulated and entertained, its less of a re-run of last weekend and more of a case of welcoming old friends as they come out the system.
I was entertained because the bouncy sound is Sy's trademark and he pulls it off so damn well, its impossible not to rave to it. Even a numpty like me who knows nothing about mixing can appreciate the way he slams the crossfader over at precisely the right moment as the new tune comes in harder than the previous one. Dancing is not an option, its compulsary.
Even more so when you get to the actual tunes themselves, like I said, entertainment personified, with this occasion seeing "On & On", "Dropzone" "lets fly" and "Making me wanna dance" making an appearence, as well as "Pacific Sun", "Let me be your fantasy" and "Take Control" representing the upfront remix side of things. One thing is for sure, when the final tune got taken down and Storm wished everyone a safe journey home, I didn't want to and the afterparty in the carpark proved I weren't the only one too.
Things I liked:
Venue - Some accused it of being a bit too "Funky house" with its glitter ***** and excessive areas for sitting down and the suchlike. However, you can't rave in a dusty warehouse every weekend and no-one can deny it was a nice place to be.
Lineup - Even though it was a 4am finish, there was no cutting corners on the lineup. Big names and crowd pullers filled the peak time sets, as well as a selected collection of up and comers and regional talent too. Nice one.
Sound - Once it got going, the system was more than up for the job. A definite imported job, with serious amounts of volume.
Ravers - The party was well attended for a first time event, with no idiots to spoil the fun. Everyone had their party hat on, even those who stood out a mile as being regulars to the venue, not to mention having to deal with a 40bpm increase and serious lack of music to bootyshake to on the night.
Things i liked less:
4am finish - Grr. Not a fan of these at all. 6am Til I Die!
Security - Even though they were pretty chilled out and relaxed for the people inside, a lot (near on 70 people in fact) were turned away for not having ID. I can understand a few people getting refused, but 70?
Taps - The toilet taps had their water supply cut off. Isn't that illegal?
That ******* strobe! - It was on for at least 90 minutes and it was pissing me off no end. Eventually I found the lighting techie and asked him to switch the ****** off. Thankfully he did.
Even though kicking out time was set to a rather annoying 4am, I still had a good time at the first United in Hardcore. All the ingredients were there for a top night out and I really enjoyed myself becuase of them all. The music, the location, the ravers, the atmosphere, it was one of *those* nights where you cant put your finger on why you're so sparked up, but you know you're just happy to be in the right place at the right time.
But best of all, with the strong (although not sell out) attendence for the first night, the flyer promises more to come. Monthly nights are set to go ahead at this place if the hype on the flyer is to be believed. Even the fun sized finish time cant put me off the fact such a cool night is going monthly and its less than an hour away from where I live. Like I said, I've not been raving in Northampton for years, all of a sudden I'm set to mission up there every month. Fantastic.
astraboy.
Old 03 May 2006, 12:31 AM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want pics!!
Old 03 May 2006, 06:13 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

excellent Report as usual from Astraboy who is so dedicated to his cause