Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Shared Custody

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2006, 03:20 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shared Custody

From a fathers point of view, what rights are you granted with this.

Do you have alternate Xmas and Easter.

Are you authorised by the court to take you child abroad for a cetain time

etc,

Has anyone gone throught this recently, and how much would it cost to go throught he court?

Old 18 April 2006, 03:37 PM
ESH
Scooby Regular

OK,

I did this last July / Aug

You didn't state whether you are / were married.

I wasn't (Thank god)

Get parental responsability. Allows ou equal access to scoll reports medical records and if anything was to happen to your child(ren) you will be kept informed.

As for access I did this:

Every other weekend
1/2 of 1/2 Term, Xmas, Easter.
2 weeks durring the summer.

As for leaving the UK I stipulated that each party must give no less than 1 2 months notice of the inention to take our son out of the UK. Also I had to be provided with travel documents (tickets, accommodation & contact numbers). If I wasn't happy I would send a petition back to court.
His passport is kept with me and I know what is generally going on all the time.

It cost me about £4k but that was because I got things done very quickly.
If you are lookng for shared custody firstly you will need to have been married and prove that by having the child live with you it will not cause him / her and adverse reactions. I pick my boy up from school every other friday but have stopped taking to school on the mondays as he is still very excited and miss-behaves for the first half of the day.

If you need further help / Solicitor PM me

Esh
Old 18 April 2006, 03:43 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Like you say, thankfully we was not married so its "parental responsibility" that i should be asking after.

4K How much would have been at a normal pace.

Is it possible for her to contest it, if there is no genuine reason to.

The rights you have, are pretty much what i would be asking for
Old 18 April 2006, 03:55 PM
ESH
Scooby Regular

Costs will vary between solicitors. Best thing to do is contact a few with the info I've provided.

If what you are asking for is reasonable it will be accepted.
Old 18 April 2006, 05:03 PM
ben44
Scooby Regular

****, sorry fella, just replied on your other thread before reading this.

Best thing to do (if possible) is keep it as amicable as possible with the mother. Much as you might hate it, its better than given loads of money to solicitors and letting your kid see you both argue all the time.

Hope things work out.
Old 18 April 2006, 05:09 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ben44
****, sorry fella, just replied on your other thread before reading this.

Best thing to do (if possible) is keep it as amicable as possible with the mother. Much as you might hate it, its better than given loads of money to solicitors and letting your kid see you both argue all the time.

Hope things work out.

Been trying that for the last three years, its not working.

I doing things officially will be better, having both parents knowng where they stand
Old 18 April 2006, 05:32 PM
ESH
Scooby Regular

Ben - Amicable is a nice word but in reality you can be getting on with someone one minute then things can change. When kids are involved you need to ensure they are secure. Hence sorting this stuff out sooner rather than later.

Kids don't tend to be involved in these types of cases and its far better than having a full blown ow on the door step regarding what your rights are. In the eyes ofthe look Cookstar has no rights. Parental responsibility is the thing to get first. Its straight fdorward to do this. Like I said get some legal advice on costs, the process and timescales.

Things won't go backwards and forwards between solicitors unless there have been major disputes that need substanciating.

Esh
Old 18 April 2006, 05:38 PM
ben44
Scooby Regular

ESH, I didn't know how long it had gone on for before I posted. Hopefully there's a solution close to hand.
Old 18 April 2006, 05:51 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

aww, cookie, I knew you were having problems, but I didn't think it had got so bad. sorry for you.
If you look at the bottom of this thread, just before you post a message, there is a couple of links to Fathers Parental Rights information. I kid you not. They may help
Old 18 April 2006, 05:53 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

It may actually be chaper to get her bumped off
Old 18 April 2006, 05:55 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300
aww, cookie, I knew you were having problems, but I didn't think it had got so bad. sorry for you.
If you look at the bottom of this thread, just before you post a message, there is a couple of links to Fathers Parental Rights information. I kid you not. They may help

Will be going to see my solicitor early next week, its just best to let him deal with it I think.

Just pisses me right off i will have to pay, and she will get legal aid
Old 18 April 2006, 08:23 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

me and the ex have shared custody, if you can get it go for it, the other name is joint residancy ..

basically if you both agree, its an agreed divsion of time,

my eldest is with me every other w/end gfrom friday to monday, and the holidays are split, 3 weeks each during the summer, and we than alternate the others, so one year i get easter and august, and the other just one of the half terms. chistmas and new year alternate so its new year one year and chrimbo the next.

the good thing about it is that its agreed via a court order. so if the other party gets funny, they can be taken back to court for breach, as the time goes on, you work out the best ways to work within it.

mart
Old 18 April 2006, 08:48 PM
Miss Kinky
Scooby Regular

Location: Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

I went through a massive legal battle for custody of my son with my ex-husband (who was my son's step-father, NOT his biological father).

CAFCASS were involved and interviewed me, my ex, my son and most members of both families.

My ex finally caved in (he was paying for the costs and ran out of money).

Court agreed that I was the only one with parental rights and that my son couldn't leave the country without my say (important as my ex's family had property in Spain). Also agreed that my son would spend 2 weeks in the summer holidays and 1 week at Christmas (but not necessarily Christmas itself) with him and weekends when it was convenient (we lived 200 miles apart at the time)

I am now very good friends with my ex and my son spends a lot of time with him.

Would just like to point out that the court doesn't always side with with the mother. It was a very close call and I think that if my ex hadn't of backed down he may well have won custody.
Old 18 April 2006, 11:08 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Cooky - I've seen some of your posts re your kid, and I'm sorry things aren't working out for you atm..

See your solicitor, do what needs to be done, and hang in there, mate
Old 19 April 2006, 11:15 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little-ginge
Cooky - I've seen some of your posts re your kid, and I'm sorry things aren't working out for you atm..

See your solicitor, do what needs to be done, and hang in there, mate