Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I think most of you can relate to this! I know I can.

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2006, 09:30 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool I think most of you can relate to this! I know I can.

Mum used to cut chicken, slice eggs and spread mayo on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't get food poisoning.

My Mum used to defrost mince-meat on the kitchen sink AND I used to eat a bite raw sometimes, too. Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper, in a brown paper bag, not in icepack coolers, but I can't remember anybody getting e.coli.

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then.

The term cell phone would have conjured up a phone in a jail cell, and a pager was the school PA system.

We all played sport, and also did PE... and risked permanent injury with a pair of Dunlop runners (only worn in the gym or the sports ground) instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built-in light reflectors.. I can't recall any injuries but they must have happened, because they tell us how much safer we are now....

Flunking sport was not an option.... even for stupid kids! There were not many fat kids.

Speaking of school, we all said prayers and sang the National Anthem and got free school milk for strong bones and teeth, and staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention. We must have had horribly damaged psyches.

What an archaic health system we had then. Remember school nurses? Ours wore a hat and everything, and she could even give you an aspirin for a headache or fever.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself. I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Play Station, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV cable stations.

Oh yeah..and where was the Benadryl and sterilization kit when I got that bee sting? I could have been killed!

We played 'king of the castle' on piles of gravel left on vacant construction sites, and when we got hurt, Mum pulled out the 48-cent bottle of Mercurochrome (kids liked it better because it didn't sting like iodine did) and then we got our hair ruffled and got told to get back out there! Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10-day dose of a $49 bottle of antibiotics, and then Mum calls the Solicitor to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

We didn't misbehave at the mate's house either, because if we did, we got our bum smacked there, and then we got bum belted again when we got home. I recall Donny Reynolds from next door coming over and doing his tricks on the front veranda, just before he fell off. Little did his Mum know that she could have owned our house. Instead, she picked him up and swatted him for being such a yobbo.

It was a neighbourhood run amuck.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a "dysfunctional family". How could we possibly have known that we needed to get into group therapy and anger management classes? We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac! How did we ever survive?

LOVE TO ALL OF US WHO SHARED THIS ERA, AND TO ALL WHO DIDN'T---- SORRY FOR WHAT YOU MISSED. I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING

Pass this to someone (over age 40, of course), and brighten their day by helping them to remember that life's most simple pleasures are very often the best!
Old 18 April 2006, 09:36 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its funny, I was just looking at the petrol prices and tax rates for the 1960's

http://www.aatrust.com/files/reports...rol_Prices.pdf
Old 18 April 2006, 09:59 AM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Yep, brings back memories lolol
You WILL be in before its dark
Making my own skate boards with old roller skate wheels
Hiding the hole in my school trousers from mum, that my knee had caused when fell over playin footie ( was allowed long trousers at the big school)

What the **** was keying a car ????
bling, chav, burberry wtf whas all that about.
knives was the things you used with a fork to eat with.
playing hide n seek on building sites was fun, but you got a slap if mum found out.
MacDonalds was a farm in some sort of rhyme
for Pocket money , you used to actually have to do something to earn it.
If you threw sweet wrappers in someones garden, any grown up was allowed to slap you and make you go an get it.
Old 18 April 2006, 10:32 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

My kids will still be subjected to some of these values - didn't do me any harm.

Dan
Old 18 April 2006, 10:34 AM
danwrx1980
Scooby Regular

Daft as it sounds guys, I'm only 25 but I can relate to all that too. I know you're all just gonna say I'm a daft nipper who didn't have it as hard as you did when you were kids, but I honestly think the generation gap is bigger between me and 16/17 year olds (chavs ) today than it has ever been.
And you're right, there is definitely something missing from life today than there was before, but what?
Smacking your kids?
Letting the local bobby smack your kids (if you have a local bobby)?

Maybe the British National Party have got some good ideas...
Shame they are all completely racist and have mental disorders.

But seriously someone does need to put the great back into great britain, (deliberately spelled without capital letters) and I don't mean HP brown sauce either!!!
Old 18 April 2006, 11:38 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

But there were some downsides......

Watneys Red Barrel and Double Diamond being two of them
Old 18 April 2006, 12:02 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

great post

had something similar come though on email a week or so ago. made me laugh as well..might have already been posted but what the heck..

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they
carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored
lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we
rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took
hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.
We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with our friends, from one bottle and NO ONE
actually died from this

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but
we weren't overweight because

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back
when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down
the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the
bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no
99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell

phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat
rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given imitation guns for our 10th birthdays,
made up games with sticks and tennis ***** and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!
Teams had trials and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't
had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They
actually sided with the law!
This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers
and inventors ever!
The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned
HOW TO
DEAL WITH IT ALL!
And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!
You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as
kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.
and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.
Old 18 April 2006, 12:07 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

What makes it even stranger is that this 'generation' are todays teachers and politicians also
Old 18 April 2006, 01:04 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Is there a sale on rose tinted specs somewhere?
Old 18 April 2006, 02:30 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Tiggs

Dan
Old 18 April 2006, 02:56 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
But there were some downsides......

Watneys Red Barrel and Double Diamond being two of them
Double Diamond ?? what was wrong with that !!
Old 18 April 2006, 03:11 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

Im 30 and I totally relate to everything in that post! When a teacher said be quiet at school you shat your pants and listened to him/her. If you saw an old dear walking down the street with some shopping you would help her to carry it. I think my worst shortfall as a child was that I would never tidy my bedroom but the wierd thing is my wife now says Im **** because our house is always spotless in every room!!
Old 18 April 2006, 03:13 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

A lot of what's been written is true, we've perhaps become too risk averse nowadays. How many kids are now driven to school, even as near as 1/2 mile away when it would be healthier al round if they just walked? However there are some from our generation who didn't make it. I was fortunate to survive a car crash when just a lad. Friend's father was drink driving (it wasn't as socially unacceptable in those days, even a bit of a laugh) and there were no rear seat belts in cars. He drove into the side of a bridge and it was a hospital job for me. If the same accident happened today I would have walked away without a scratch.
Old 18 April 2006, 03:19 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"Im 30 and I totally relate to everything in that post! When a teacher said be quiet at school you shat your pants and listened to him/her. If you saw an old dear walking down the street with some shopping you would help her to carry it."

lol....what crap!

when you were 15 it was 1991..........you think in '91 people were helping old ladies over the road and mowing pensioners lawns for free???

Sounds like you lived in The Waltons till 16 then moved here!

As for the rest of the stuff.....plenty of true stuff but dont forget the kids that didnt wear seat belts and had their skulls crushed when they went head first into the dash board.....or the kids playing on gravel pits that never came home because they suffacated under 4 ton of sand.

I have kids and they all play outside and have as much freetime out and about as i did......but they wear seat belts, they dont play on building sites and they dont get raw meat to eat and they dont swim in the river because the modern pool with wave machine and slides is 100 times better!
Old 18 April 2006, 03:26 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
"Im 30 and I totally relate to everything in that post! When a teacher said be quiet at school you shat your pants and listened to him/her. If you saw an old dear walking down the street with some shopping you would help her to carry it."

lol....what crap!

when you were 15 it was 1991..........you think in '91 people were helping old ladies over the road and mowing pensioners lawns for free???

Sounds like you lived in The Waltons till 16 then moved here!
I know what year it was!

You may mock but my dad brought me up to respect my elders and was something I did without thinking. Ok not everyone would have done that and infact thats probably when the scumbag generation started.

Chris Walton
Old 18 April 2006, 03:48 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Spot on Wurzel, that put a smile on my face.

Paul - age 41 and a 1/2
Old 18 April 2006, 03:49 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

in which case you are talking about what you would have done, not the norm.......the idea that kids in the 70/80/90's where that much a nicer lot that today is rubbish.

in fact the whole idea of this thread is a bit weak.....those kids that didnt get killed in car crashes or crushed on building sites have gone on to grow up into fat old smokers that die from heart failure/lung cancer at a staggering rate.

so well done if your 45 and alive still....make the most of it because all that "cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar" means you havent gone long to go now!

Last edited by Tiggs; 18 April 2006 at 03:51 PM.
Old 18 April 2006, 03:58 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

the idea that kids in the 70/80/90's where that much a nicer lot that today is rubbish.
From my experiences of being bought up in a supposed middle class family in Kent. My friends cam from all sorts of backgrounds however - we had respect for our teachers, the police and authority.

To be called out in assembly and then have your mistermeaners read out along with punishment meant that you looked like a div rather than cool.

We would play footie/cricket/tennis in the street or over the fields a mile or so away or go out on our bikes for the day exploring or skateboarding.

I once got caught for tresspassing and it was embarrasing and scary - i did not do it again.

Yes we fought, played and messed about. No-one got stabbed or happy slapped. I did not know any kids who did drugs.

Bullying went on yes, one kid got suspended and the school delt with this harshly, parents involved and those days (ho-ho) it was not cool or good to get you parents called into school.

We used condoms - we did not try to get our girlfriends pregant at 15 to get housing - we had/have asperations beyond the dole and social security as a way of life.

We did not hang about in packs on the corner looking or even wanting trouble - we made our own amusement.

never stole or vandalised a car - saw many i wanted and worked hard to put myself behind the wheel of some of them

Last edited by The Zohan; 18 April 2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 18 April 2006, 04:00 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

and that lifestyle is still avalible...it could equally apply to me or my kids.
Old 18 April 2006, 04:05 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

and that lifestyle is still avalible...it could equally apply to me or my kids.
You are right but less and less aspire to it, it is not seen as cool or even worth the effort by more and more.

there is a lack of respect in this country for authority and other people.
We have a benefit system that supports those not willing to work or bother to try.

My quality of life is not as good as 15+ years ago. Not talking money i am talking about day to day hastles.
Old 18 April 2006, 04:05 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile

Spot on Wurzel.
That was my childhood
All day bike rides with an old OS map and sandwiches in brown paper into Kent when cars were far thinner on the ground is a good memory for me.
Steve
Old 18 April 2006, 04:07 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Whitehorn
Spot on Wurzel.
That was my childhood
All day bike rides with an old OS map and sandwiches in brown paper into Kent when cars were far thinner on the ground is a good memory for me.
Steve
Exactly
Old 18 April 2006, 04:10 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

well I am glad some of you appreciated it

even if tiggs doesn't!
Old 18 April 2006, 04:20 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
You are right but less and less aspire to it, it is not seen as cool or even worth the effort by more and more.

Damn right!! I think more and more people aspire to get as many kids as they can and screw as much money out of the government as they can! Only my opinion but I did have a woman at work cut her hours down by half because it was worth it for her to work when she lost out on benefits (she got £10 more for working full time then only working 16 hours and claiming)
Old 18 April 2006, 04:25 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

hang on...seperate issues. Are there more wasters around today? probably, but then theres more people.

can you live a lifestyle similar to 20 years ago and adopt the same values, yes - of course you can.

the ORIGINAL thread was not about that though....it was about how kids did all these daft things and never got hurt - yet the reality is many did get hurt, many are screwed now because of the ****e they ate and carried on eating and NO ONE would want their kids to go down that road.

the idea that life was better because kids risk theirs in order to have fun is not rose tinted.....its eyeball removed and rose garden planted in your skull vision!
Old 18 April 2006, 04:36 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

hang on...seperate issues. Are there more wasters around today? probably, but then theres more people.

can you live a lifestyle similar to 20 years ago and adopt the same values, yes - of course you can.

the ORIGINAL thread was not about that though....it was about how kids did all these daft things and never got hurt - yet the reality is many did get hurt, many are screwed now because of the ****e they ate and carried on eating and NO ONE would want their kids to go down that road.

the idea that life was better because kids risk theirs in order to have fun is not rose tinted.....its eyeball removed and rose garden planted in your skull vision!
LOL

You slag off what is obviously a light hearted look at life in years gone by for being viewed through rose tinted specs and being stereotypical, and then you go on to genaralise and stereotype.

At least Lewis is funny when he posts ****e on Scoobynet.....
Old 18 April 2006, 04:37 PM
Ritch96
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by falkster
Damn right!! I think more and more people aspire to get as many kids as they can and screw as much money out of the government as they can! Only my opinion but I did have a woman at work cut her hours down by half because it was worth it for her to work when she lost out on benefits (she got £10 more for working full time then only working 16 hours and claiming)
And you think this woman is stupid?
Old 18 April 2006, 04:50 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diablo
LOL

You slag off what is obviously a light hearted look at life in years gone by for being viewed through rose tinted specs and being stereotypical, and then you go on to genaralise and stereotype.

At least Lewis is funny when he posts ****e on Scoobynet.....

stereotyped???
Old 18 April 2006, 05:03 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ritch96
Not completely stupid, just a drain on society when its obvious that she is capable of working full time. Why should we all pay for people like her to sit on her **** for half her week?

Anyway, thats a whole different thread.....
Old 18 April 2006, 05:11 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ritch96

Never said she was stupid by a sponger and a scrounger!! Why should we pay for these people when they can work but just decide not to as its inconvenient for them as there is nothing in it for them?

Between myself and my wife we have a very good income and a small mortgage but I still cant seem to convince myself that I can afford to have a child yet these people are shelling them like peas.

T'is a whole different thread though!!!