Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hiding Tv Cables

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2006, 09:05 AM
paulpaulpaul
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hiding Tv Cables

I am looking to wallmount my new to be purchased 37 - 40 " LCD and want to hide all cabels including the ariel cables if possible,

I will probably have Sky, DVD Player, Xbox, is there any way possible to do this ?

I can get the wall chased out to hide the cables but I assume at some stage they need to have the Ariel and power coming from the wall

Any advise suggestions please.
Old 17 April 2006, 09:18 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by paulpaulpaul
I am looking to wallmount my new to be purchased 37 - 40 " LCD and want to hide all cabels including the ariel cables if possible,

I will probably have Sky, DVD Player, Xbox, is there any way possible to do this ?

I can get the wall chased out to hide the cables but I assume at some stage they need to have the Ariel and power coming from the wall

Any advise suggestions please.
Hiding them in the wall is a good idea, but make sure that you use top quality cabling and check for any crosstalk interference between each piece of equipment or you will be digging out the cables later to sort it out.
Old 17 April 2006, 11:56 AM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

how many cables need to go up to the screen? 2 scart, and 1 power?

assuming its a brick wall, perhaps form a "tunnel" using two 6" wide strips of plasterboard, and 2 lengths of 1"x1" timber. cut a chase 1/2" bigger all round, and long enough to allow access at the top ( behind the screen) and at the bottom ( near all the AV stuff)

stick the whole arrangement into the chase with Gyproc board adhesive, and knock it in an extra 2-3 mm to allow for a layer of skim over the top to blend it in to the existing wall. Gyproc ready mix joint filler ( for tapered edge board jointing ) is a doddle to work with and sands up a treat, easier still as you will have two clean edges to trowel along.

should be easy enough to fish the cables up & down it.
Old 17 April 2006, 12:02 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
how many cables need to go up to the screen? 2 scart, and 1 power?

assuming its a brick wall, perhaps form a "tunnel" using two 6" wide strips of plasterboard, and 2 lengths of 1"x1" timber. cut a chase 1/2" bigger all round, and long enough to allow access at the top ( behind the screen) and at the bottom ( near all the AV stuff)

stick the whole arrangement into the chase with Gyproc board adhesive, and knock it in an extra 2-3 mm to allow for a layer of skim over the top to blend it in to the existing wall. Gyproc ready mix joint filler ( for tapered edge board jointing ) is a doddle to work with and sands up a treat, easier still as you will have two clean edges to trowel along.

should be easy enough to fish the cables up & down it.
Chip . do you do the 'Voice overs' for Screw fix direct..? that sounded all posh , just like the Adverts

for the satellite and/or terrestrial aerial cabling , you *could* use 'Patter -boxes' so the cables can be 'chased' into the walls .. unfortunately , no such thing (that im aware of) is available for scarts as yet....
Old 17 April 2006, 12:15 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

no

if he wanted to get bling, he could do something similar, but make a feature of it, and cap the chase with a strip of brushed stainless.
Old 17 April 2006, 12:18 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

oh , I say, what!! very Arty-Farty, dear boy
Old 17 April 2006, 12:21 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Solid walls ?
As Chip says go for 2 wraggles one to take power and one to take signals. To be sure there is no interferance seperate them in conduit too.
As for power, break in to the ring and put in a switched fused spur for power to the TV. Much neater. Best tip would be to put in too many cables as I would rather they were there for future use than **** about taking the TV off the wall and start dropping a mouse down to feed this that and the other.
If it is plaster board walls then you're laughing
Best advice is to do too much than is needed now so that you dont have upheaval in the future.
Old 17 April 2006, 12:22 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

and if he wanted to save himself a load of work with the hammer and chisel, he could get a 30 degree 1" fold down each side, and just chuck it straight on the wall. fixed at the top behind the screen, and fixed at the bottom behind the AV equipment.

Next
Old 17 April 2006, 12:23 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

WTF is a Wraggle?

Hoots man, speak ENGLISH, will ye!
Old 17 April 2006, 12:35 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Git tae **** min !