Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Getting songs from one ipod to another

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2006, 12:01 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting songs from one ipod to another

I've got a new nano and want to get the songs from my girlfriend's ipod onto mines to save me ripping them from our CDs (yes, our cd's before the legal-eagles start). What is the quickest and easiest way to do this? Her itunes has all her ipod's songs on it. My itunes has nothing as of yet but we can't seem to copy stuff from her ipod to my itunes. I'm guessing they try to prevent you from doing this but as with everything there are back doors
Old 17 April 2006, 12:08 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Just connect your ipod to her iTunes.
Old 17 April 2006, 12:13 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

That simple? Game on. My ipod doesn't arrive for a few days yet but she faffed and couldn't do it...
Old 17 April 2006, 04:12 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

You can't copy from an iPod into iTunes, part of the anti-piracy thing. However, there are various apps out there that do allow you to do this, have a look on ilounge.com for some of them. Using such an app would probably be the most simple solution.

I'd also make sure that you configure iTunes (both yours and hers) not to auto-synch the iTunes Library to the iPod. This is the default behaviour and what you could find is that you get all the tunes from her setup onto your iPod, plug it into your setup and iTunes syncs (from an empty setup) to the iPod, thus trashing all the songs you just put on it.

It would also mean that if you removed items from the iPod, or added additional items and you plugged your iPod into her setup (or vice versa) then iTunes would remove/add the missing/additional items. Very annoying indeed.
Old 17 April 2006, 08:14 AM
scud8
Scooby Regular

So long as you can get to the computer with the songs on it you can import them in to another iTunes installation.

Copy the songs from her iTunes directories to yours. By default iTunes stores music in /Documents and Settings/<user>/My Documents/My Music/iTunes/iTunes Music. You then need to import the songs - I forget exactly which menu option to use, but it is fairly obvious under the File menu (something like "Import from folder").
Old 17 April 2006, 10:25 AM
rob878
Scooby Regular

i would recommnd anapod explorer, it will cost you about 7-8 pounds but it will let you download from any ipod.
Old 17 April 2006, 12:13 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Good info - thanks guys