Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Motivation and Tips needed

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2006, 08:28 PM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motivation and Tips needed

Need motivation, due to move in 2 weeks time and we've been packing since yesterday, today I have got through quite alot and rooms are getting empty but now I just seem to have piles of stuff everywhere to sort through and throw some things then get the rest in to boxes, I don't know where to start , in my mind I am wanting to crack on but my body hasn't got the motivation. Anyone got any tips on how to make it easier to pack a house up apart from just picking everything up and throwing it in to boxes without sorting through it which I can't do coz we are going from a 3 bed to a 2 bed house so alot of stuff that isn't needed has to go.
Old 15 April 2006, 09:11 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

No tips really, it's just horrible. Be ruthless and throw stuff out though.
Old 15 April 2006, 09:21 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Pay someone £500-£600 to do if for you
Old 15 April 2006, 09:25 PM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

I've been as ruthless as possible, I've thrown so much stuff out and we still have alot of things that we need, but some things are going to only be boxed up til we move and other things are going to stay boxed up and probs just be put in the next place in the loft, so far I have done 2 bedrooms out of 3, all cupboards under stairs, dining room and half the sitting room, now it just seem to be loads of stuff everywhere that is an **** to pack, faffy stuff that doesn't seem to go in to boxes in any arranged form what so ever!
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best Tip??

Start AT LEAST 6 weeks BEFORE you move!!

Hope that helps?

Pete
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
Pay someone £500-£600 to do if for you
You offering? Or paying? I wish I could get someone else to do it.
Old 15 April 2006, 09:28 PM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Best Tip??

Start AT LEAST 6 weeks BEFORE you move!!

Hope that helps?

Pete
Thanks Pete, We did do some things about 4 weeks ago but the bulk of things we have left til now, but now that we only have 2 weeks it makes me want to throw things out and not just pack it incase I might need it in about 10 years time. The majority of things that has taken up time is toys, clothes, paperwork, breakables, basically most of the house lol.
Old 15 April 2006, 09:38 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you a girl or boy (woman/man)? Just interested.

You need a plan. Designate an area as storage and move 1 room at a time. Start with the rooms you dont "live" in and what I refer to as "sanitise" them clear. Last rooms should be kitchen and bedroom but box all the non-essentials.

Try and put rooms together box-wise. Plan for where they will be going and label them accordingly.

It will get messier before you get on top of it, that is a fact. As the previous poster said, be ruthless with throwing stuff out if you are downsizing.

I've moved us single-handed twice in the last 6 years and that includes the logistics & transport. 3-4 bed house and 4-3 bed house. Its a matter of planning and at the end of the day just doing. F**king hard work but it just needs to be done - don't envy you.

Guess thats not much help in terms of motivation, thats down to you, but you have to want and believe in the end product. Besides that, there's a buyer waiting to move in on completion
Old 15 April 2006, 09:47 PM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

I'm female and have a husband, before anyone says anything we have both been packing, he's done certain things which he needs and I've done certain things that are relavant for me to sort out in another place as he will be going straight to a job when we move in so I said I would unpack (talk about drawing the short straw). The things which are left we are both peed off with it as we don't know if it's worth packing or if it should get thrown out but then we think we might need it, we've stopped for the night now as it's just going round in circles stage. I have labelled everything and put on each box what room it's for, we are clearing the dining room and getting all boxes packed downstairs as we both have bad backs so we can't carry boxes from upstairs that have been packed up there, its a faff bringing things from upstairs to be packed downstairs but for weight we would end up crippled trying to cart a full box down.

No buyer moving in, we are moving out of forces accomodation, haven't moved around much so that's why we arent used to packing and hubby is ok packing a bergen but boxes he hates lol. He's out the army now so when we move it will be to eventually settle in to a house for good hopefully.

Last edited by Julz1983; 15 April 2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old 15 April 2006, 10:14 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL

Reason I asked sex was the spatial awareness factor. I find it very easy to earmark space and work towards the end goal whereas wife is cack. I also pack more effectively spacewise. Get hubby to imagine that he has to pack everything into bergens

I am in the parcels moving business so that might help.
Old 15 April 2006, 11:02 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you've done really well already.

I'd guess that you've max 1-2 days' work left, and 15 days to do it in. So don't panic!

A good night's rest may well help. Read this thread in the morning - or afternoon!
Old 16 April 2006, 10:23 AM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

I gave in lastnight and went to bed, today we are going to sort through what is just lying around on the floor and get boxes downstairs so that the 3rd bedroom is empty, it will make me happier knowing atleast one room is empty, sounds daft I know. I know we have plenty time, but we have 2 boxes free at mo and we have to wait until Tuesday before we can get more boxes from the stores on camp, so if I run out now then I can't do more packing til Tues.

Puff, I know what you mean, I am crap at packing aswell, I see no logic in it what so ever, hubby doesn't mind packing and is better at arranging space etc but like me once it gets to the bits and bobs that are doing our heads in he gives up aswell.

I'll update later to see how far we got today, I can see us doing our backs in at this rate and not being able to do anything.
Old 17 April 2006, 03:56 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

sounds like with the limited time you're trying to do too much at once - sorting out what you need to keep, what you can throw away, what room it's going to go in, moving it round before boxing it, boxing it up........

Forget it.

What are you trying to do - shift house or trip down memory lane sorting out your possessions?

I would suggest moving house is the prime objective.

So, just stick it all in boxes - and sort it at your leisure at your new place when you've got the moving out of the way.

happy moving

Last edited by philc; 17 April 2006 at 04:02 AM.