Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

LED Rear Light Clusters

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2006, 05:03 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question LED Rear Light Clusters

Saw these on a Beemer and Passat on the M6 the other day while I was sat there, bored stupid, as is par for the course on motorways these days.

I was quite struck by how crisp and clinical the effect of these are. LED's are renowned for being very quick in responding to an electrical pulse. Therefore when you see them in operation they come straight on and go straight off, without the dimming effect that you see with conventional bulbs. Very impressive indeed on the eye.

I guess this subject is probably pretty **** to some but photography is one of my hobbies and I have a thing about light and the way we, as humans, interact with it (or is that the other way round).

Anyone know if there is an LED rear light cluster available for the new age Scoob? If yes it has to be the tasteful smoked surrounds that one occasionally sees about the place, NOT the garish, in your face, bright silver items that you see on the backs of Corsa's and Saxo's.

I await your responses with interest.

Thanks.

WB
Old 14 April 2006, 06:05 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get LEDs mounted directly onto standard bulb holders, which means you shouldn't have to change the clusters at all.
Old 14 April 2006, 07:05 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Try here - http://www.consumabulbs.com/files/se...?string=%20led
Old 14 April 2006, 09:10 PM
JayPSC
Scooby Regular

The ones on the new 6 series bimmers are gorgeous. Bright in the middle then fade out towards the edges. Been trying to figure out how to do this on my Corrado since I saw them lol.
Old 14 April 2006, 11:16 PM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Location: ShyTot graphics Location: Squires Bar Location: Wakecastlefract

Love the ones on Golfs and Passats where the outer red bit for the rear lights flashes yellow when indicating. Very nice, but how long before some **** sticks something similar onto their chavmobile?
Old 15 April 2006, 12:26 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

GaryCat,

Interesting link. Didn't know you could get them as LED bulbs, only thought they were available as clusters or rings. Will check these guys out later today.

The fact that you don't have to change your existing cluster housing is a great advantage. Each to his own, however I quite like my smoked cluster housings. The bright silvered things of today make me cold with antipathy.

Any more on this chaps?

Cheers

WB
Old 15 April 2006, 01:20 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

My car has LED tail/brake lights
Old 15 April 2006, 03:38 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I have LED indicators in my MY03 Scoob headlights and tail-lights. After the detango I tried the silvered bulbs but got sick of people almost running into the back of me on sunny days. I fitted THESE...

The only drawback is that they use so little current that the relay reacts as if a bulb has blown and goes into hyperflash. To remedy this you need to fit a resistor between the wires for each bulb to synthesise the power draw of a conventional bulb. These are readily available for £2 each from Hein Gericke motorcycle stores.

I tried fitting LED brake lights too, but the bulb is mounted at a strange angle and as LED's are very directional they were just too dim. I also tried LED's in the front sidelights, but they didn't last as I tend to have them on all the time and the Scoob seems to run at 14.4V which overpowers them and cooks them.
Old 15 April 2006, 03:06 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Corradoboy,

Thanks for your input. Don't like the sound of the side bulbs going so quickly nor the rear brake lights seeming to be dim if not mounted at the right angle.

Maybe I ought to give up on this as a good idea. Will watch this space and see what develops. May be safer to buy a fully specced dedicated cluster that has all the angle and brightness issues sorted out.

Thanks

WB
Old 15 April 2006, 03:10 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I aren't too bothered about all the others, but the indicators are a big success. Brake lights would have been nice due to the safety and bling factor, but as I say, the bulb fit in downwards and at an angle, and LED's need to be viewed straight on ideally. You could maybe modify the bulb mount but I didn't really want to start hacking into them. I'm happy with the detango afforded by the LED's and the fact no-one tries to crash into me as much.