Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

plasmas and screen burn

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2006, 05:43 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default plasmas and screen burn

just bought myself an LG plasma and the 1st thing the sales person told me was not to connect a games console as it will cause screen burn and its not covered by any guarantee !!! my mate has his 360 on his plasma with no problems and there is more still imgaes on any tv program now as all of them seem to have a logo in some corner of the screen !! has anyone's plasma suffered from this condition and if so how long did it take to happen ??
Old 10 April 2006, 06:14 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebt
just bought myself an LG plasma and the 1st thing the sales person told me was not to connect a games console as it will cause screen burn and its not covered by any guarantee !!! my mate has his 360 on his plasma with no problems and there is more still imgaes on any tv program now as all of them seem to have a logo in some corner of the screen !! has anyone's plasma suffered from this condition and if so how long did it take to happen ??
It is usually caused by the image being left 'static' on the screen for a period of time, one of the reasons for PC screen savers.

IMHO as long as you do not leave the same/static image for for any length of time, say 3+ hours they you should be fine, overnight will get you a screen burn in most cases dependant on the image.

Probably the sales oik covering his ***
Old 10 April 2006, 06:39 PM
wannascoobydoo
Scooby Regular

I Have an option on my plasma , so when the screen is on for 2 mins it will auto go onto a screen saver to stop the burn in happening,
check you manual it may have an option aswell
Old 10 April 2006, 06:41 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Plasmas come witht he settings etc all turned right up (brightness and contrast) these will have a bad effect ont he screen, turn them and you'll be fine with a modern screen.
Old 10 April 2006, 07:43 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

It is true that it happens, but the extent of "burn" propably is exaggerated by scaremongers.

Well the old man left his Plasma switched on overnight on one of the satelite channels after closing (living or sommat) and it burnt their logo into the screen right across the middle.

5mins on "screen wipe" sorted it.
Old 10 April 2006, 07:47 PM
yoza
BANNED

Rubbish....

I often pause mine for ages, especially on the money shots.
Old 11 April 2006, 09:36 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

lol @ yoza. Ive fell asleep most nights in front of the TV on a saturday watching sky sports and woke up 7 hours later, no screen burn on mine
Old 11 April 2006, 10:37 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As long as the picture is changing you wont get screen burn. The screen saver will do the job well enough anyway.

Les
Old 11 April 2006, 02:24 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Yep chap in the shop I bought my plasma said that the only burn he had seen was from a guy who watched nothing but SKY sports on his plasma, had it on 24/7. The Sky logo burned the screen.

J
Old 11 April 2006, 03:35 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by yoza
Rubbish....

LOL Lets hope the burn isn't too detailed lest your parents pop over to see your flashy TV!!

Ns04
Old 11 April 2006, 06:54 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Its real - the plasma at work says AIWA all the time thanks to the DVD player's screen saver that pops up when there is no disk in it...
Old 11 April 2006, 07:22 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Tried a screen wipe for 10mins ?

The screen burn on my dad's plasma would not go away until I went in to the menu and found the option to perform this procedure.
Old 11 April 2006, 08:07 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Has anyone noticed LCD's with the phrase HD resolution,its not the same as HD ready though.

Play on words.
Old 11 April 2006, 08:20 PM
Ru55e11
Scooby Regular

I've got an LG plasma. Before this I had a Toshiba rear projection. Both are suseptable to screen burn more so than a CRT or LCD tv.

I fully looked into screen burn before buying a snazzy telly and have never had any trouble with dvd menus, channel logos, xbox etc.

I am no expert, I just got lots of advice so for what its worth heres my suggestions -

1) A brand new tv is particularly prone so be careful during the first 100 or so hours.
2) Default settings for brightness and contrast are foolishly high. Between 45-55 for both should be fine.
3) If your tv has the orbiter setting, activate it. This shifts the image randomly and descreetly every two or so minutes.
4) If your watching nothing in particular and the telly is just on in the background, select zoom screen mode. This shunts most of the silly channel logos off the top or bottom.
5) When gaming, play an hour - telly for 10 mins - play an hour - telly for 10 mins and so on.
6) Set the tv off time at say 1am. If you fall asleep your safe, if your watching it simply turn it back on.

A lot of people mistake image retention for screen burn. Image retention usually fades in minutes and is particularly visible in a dark room. With screen burn however, your doomed!

<Russ>
Old 11 April 2006, 09:17 PM
Buckwheat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza
Rubbish....

LMAO
Old 11 April 2006, 11:32 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

I repaired plasmas for a year at Barron McCann most of the pubs screens in for repair had sky sports burns. I have an LG and IE is burned into it because i just use it as a moniter have tryed to wash it out to no avial.
Old 12 April 2006, 07:47 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
Has anyone noticed LCD's with the phrase HD resolution,its not the same as HD ready though.

Play on words.
HD res means the screen is capable of at least 720p whereas HD ready means it is capable of 720p and has a DMI socket. In the future to use certain types of media the TV will require a DMI socket.
Old 12 April 2006, 09:57 AM
christyper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby-Doo
HD res means the screen is capable of at least 720p whereas HD ready means it is capable of 720p and has a DMI socket. In the future to use certain types of media the TV will require a DMI socket.
Not quite true - "HD resolution" could be open to interpretation - there is not specific standard "HD resolution" or definition as to what is "HD resolution" or not. It is generally ACCEPTED that HD resolutions are 720 lines and above but some will say the any progressive image is HD, some will class 2 million pixels and above as HD, some 1 million and above. This is exactly why the HD Ready logo was created - to provide a set of standards so consumers can easily see which display devices are classed by manufacturers as HD.

An HD ready display device must have:

1) At least 720 horizontal lines
2) An analogue YUV input
3) An HDMI or DVI input
4) Use HDCP copy protection