Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What would you do... insurance question...

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2006, 11:22 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What would you do... insurance question...

Right, i have two cars, the Scooby, and a run-around, i'm going to look at another car tomorrow, which may ultimately replace the run-around, i clearly have insurance for two cars, i am taking a mate with me to view the car, if i go in the Rover, then i can't ring the ins co and swap the cover, cos i'd need the rover covered to get it home (mate driving) i would also need the New car covered, so, do i go in the scoob, and then ring the ins co and get the new car covered and get my mate to drive that?? i'm not one to drive on the road un-insured, but i also fear that the new car won't be taxed, and my existing cover nore has the reg no of my current car on it, and even if i did swap the cover, it'd take a few days for the new cover note to arrive... hence untaxed..... Mmmm, problems problems....

So, i'm thingk go in scoob, mate drive new car home.... yeh??
Old 08 April 2006, 11:34 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how about, get the current owner to drive it back to your place and you give him a lift home in the scoob
Old 08 April 2006, 11:36 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Mmmm, 80 miles and it's a dealer.... i doubt it......

Nice idea though.... i'd get to drive the scoob even more...
Old 08 April 2006, 11:39 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Hire a trailer
Old 08 April 2006, 11:42 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Hire a trailer

Between now and 10 am tomorrow.... doubtful again... plus, even though the old rover has a towbar, the 'new' rover is heavier than the old one, even without the trailer.....

Thanks anyways.....
Old 08 April 2006, 11:57 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

3 options that i can see....

if u have fully comp on either of ur cars u should be able to drive any other car 3rd party on ur existing insurance - if ur happy with that just for the drive home.

Or ring ur insurance company to see if they will do a day rate on the other car before u swap em over - i did that on a mates car because I wasnt happy driving it 3rd party, Think they charged me 30 quid.

Could u not go in ur mates car, then if u like the car ring the insurance company there and then to swap the insurance over?

BTW I shouldnt worry about being untaxed - as long as u get a receipt to show when u bought the car even the plice can be pretty reasonable over these things.....

Last edited by brumdaisy; 09 April 2006 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09 April 2006, 12:04 AM
RON
Scooby Regular

The trouble with the first option is that for me to drive it on my 3rd party cover, the car needs to be insured by someone else...... and i suspect that the dealer just has a traders policy to cover whatever he owns.....

I think i'll go in the scoob, and if i buy it, ring the ins co, and then let my mate drive it home on his 3rd party cover......
Old 09 April 2006, 12:07 AM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RON
The trouble with the first option is that for me to drive it on my 3rd party cover, the car needs to be insured by someone else...... and i suspect that the dealer just has a traders policy to cover whatever he owns.....

I think i'll go in the scoob, and if i buy it, ring the ins co, and then let my mate drive it home on his 3rd party cover......
sorry didnt know that.. there's always the (shudder) public transport option?
Old 09 April 2006, 12:10 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brumdaisy
3 options that i can see....

if u have fully comp on either of ur cars u should be able to drive any other car 3rd party on ur existing insurance - if ur happy with that just for the drive home.

Or ring ur insurance company to see if they will do a day rate on the other car before u swap em over - i did that on a mates car because I wasnt happy driving it 3rd party, Think they charged me 30 quid.

Could u not go in ur mates car, then if u like the car ring the insurance company there and then to swap the insurance over?

BTW I shouldnt worry about being untaxed - as long as u get a receipt to show when u bought the car even the plice can be pretty reasonable over these things.....
Any other car (which isn't on all policies anyway) doesn't include ones you own, which in this case he would. Therefore, the best option is to get mate to drive it home.

Regarding tax, I'd suggest the best option is to speak to your insurers, get a cover note through a.s.a.p. and don't drive the car other than taking it home. Whilst technically you could get done for such, you'd be unlucky for it to happen, and if you have the receipt to hand, it's easy to prove that you weren't taking the mickey.
Old 09 April 2006, 12:11 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

Looks like I should reply quicker, rather than having lots of windows open at once!
Old 09 April 2006, 02:05 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Call your insurance and tell them what you are doing - they will keep all your cars covered for next to nothing
Old 09 April 2006, 02:53 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Call your insurance and tell them what you are doing - they will keep all your cars covered for next to nothing

What he said, they will insure the new car, while also maintaining current insuranse for 24 hours i believe.

Have done this a couple of times
Old 09 April 2006, 10:01 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Often been in this situation and insurance comapny gave me a least a couple of weeks cover on old car to allow me to sell it. 3rd party only I think. No extra costs involved.
Old 09 April 2006, 12:30 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone, went to see the car and it turned out to be a dog...... more rust along the top of the windscreen than on the whole of my current car.... DOH!