Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave review, Freeformation, the second coming 10/3/6.

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2006, 09:56 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rave review, Freeformation, the second coming 10/3/6.

One of the surprises of last year was the last minute inclusion of Freeformation to a free evening at Hidden. Having been to Freeformation in the past, I knew what to expect and it was just as well as there was no big fanfare to accompany this event's announcement, in fact, for a long time, all we had was a photocopied preflyer before the mainlinup (and main flyer) was handed out.
However, it would seem that a lot of other people were just as in the know as I was. I'm preparred to admit, that free entry for an all night Hardcore rave might have had something to do with it, but the fact remains the first Freeformation to kickstart "The Hidden sessions" got over 700 people through the door, all of them 'avin it to the finest Hardcore, Hard Dance and Old Skool right till the end.
In terms of atmosphere, lineup, music and sheer success, it was definitely something to write home about, not to mention something to go back to once the second round was announced. Handily enough, this was done in the latter part of Febuary, complete with the trademark understatement that I am increasingly coming to expect from the promotors. No aggressive marketing from the Freeformation crew, more a simple statement of fact. "Yeah we're doing another one. Yep, hidden again. Fancy it? Nice one. See you there."
I was one of those firmly in the "Fancy it" catagory. Like I said I went to this party in its first incarnation and as such I knew what to expect. Most prominantly, a unique take on the music that I love which was reflected in the DJ lineup and the music I knew and was reliably informed would be played.
Like I said, a unique take on Hardcore Rave music. What this boils down to is DJs you dont see anthing like as much as you'd like to in solo and b2b guises, together with DJs that you cant get enough of on a weekly basis. And that was only the half of it. Just when you think there was room to get complacent and think you knew what to expect from a DJ, then you saw the contents of the brackets by the DJs name on the flyer. By that yardstick alone this was as close to a "must attend" as possible, I've never seen Kev Energy do a DnB set.
To top it all off, this event was faithful to the original spirit of Freeformation. All you had to do was secure entry was email the freeformation crew, send back the number you received by reply to confirm you'd got it and thats it. Entry was 100% free. No matter how late you turned up. Not that this bothered me of course, I was GOING to be there early.
With good reason too, cos when i rounded the corner, I was confronted with a sizeable queue, all of them waiting to get in. I joined them and after getting my name ticked off, I went in after the customary pat down for weapons by security.
Once I was in I was also pleasently surprised to find a room changeover had taken place. Hardcore was now in the main arena with Hard Dance in the second room to the left as you go in. Old Skool was still in the middle bar arena, I was sure to be spending some time here.
But not for the moment, cos my first port of call was the main room where Rik Arkitech and Ethos were in full effect, entertaining the ever increasing crowd with my first set of the night. As always, it was high energy Hardcore all the way with these guys. Mostly based around the upfront Freeform sound, with most of it being unknown to me, but all of it being exceptionally danceable, especially when "Never Say Die" and "Life is a Construct" came in.
However I only got to see the closing 20 minutes of this set, but that werent the end to one of the DJs entertaining me, cos I followed Ethos through to the old skool room where his next set was another I was determined not to miss.
Ethos has done precious few Old Skool sets that I have seen, but those I have have left me seriously impressed. This was no exception, with a nicely full dancefloor to entertain he got down to business in n uncertain terms.
Best of all, he weren't anthem bashing by any stretch of the imagination. Displaying an inspired ear for tune selection which I had no complaints with at all, the hour with Ethos at the controls was definitely one of my favourite of the night, if nothing than for the feeling of not knowing what was coming next. This was mostly down to his constant varying of the BPMs, with them taking a distinct downturn for the first part of the set, before coming right up with "now is the time" before coming back down again with "To the Beat of the Drum".
Next up was a change of Dj, but not a change of room. Staying right where I was was next on the agenda, especially when Marc Smith was up next. An exact opposite of Ethos, Smithy's Old Skool sets are well documented, with his name being suffixed on the flyer with the words "Rez Set". This meant only one thing. Bouncy techno all the way.
As promised, the glorious bouncy goodness was in full effect from the word go and I and the rest of the ravers in the place were loving every minute. I dont get to listen to this sort of music that often so I was taking full advantage and as such I was going for it non stop from start to finish.
The place was rammed out at this point, with the last remaining ravers outside in the queue making their way inside and joining their like minded associates inside and getting on it. Smithy, for his part was immersed in his music, with the gems from his record bag getting dusted off and slammed onto the decks in quick succession. "ECreation", "Detonator", "**** my best friend", "Boom and Pow" and "Jee Ha!" all featured heavily in Smithy's set, not to mention a sweaty astraboy getting on it in front of him. Top set.
After another sublime set from Smith, I wanted more of the same, so I made my way to the main arena. It wa not that hard a decision to make, you want a set of unexpected tunes and goings on that will make you raise an eyebrow then you get yourself in the place when Luna-C is on.
Together with a third appearence from Ethos, this time in his very capable MC guise, I knew it was going to be something special. And it was.
Right from the beginning, it was exactly what I was looking for. Plenty of tunes, but interspersed with numerous genre hops and lots of instances where you are scratching your head going "Eh?" one minute and going crazy to the music the next.
This was underlined by Ethos hyping up the assembled masses like the professional he is. As the set progressed, Ethos quickly settled into his preffered persona of host for the set, as well as occasional inclusions of some of his more popular lyrics, such as "U.N.I.T.Y", "24-7, 365" and "Wakey Wakey"
Of course, the DJ was just as involved as the MC was, with serious amounts of new stuff to pique the interest of the ravers. I was a particular fan of his inclusion of the Chavbot's finest moment, "Angels", as well as more serious efforts such as "My Angel", "Super Sharp Shooter" (Which I've not heard out for ages) and "Fugees or not".
Lastly, some of his less rave oriented tunes were also of note, with "Taintes love" and his (I think) set finisher of "Take on me" being most prominent, not to mention his trademark of leaving the crowd somewhat purplexed as to what they have just experienced.
If mild confusion was the name of the game, for the preceeding set, then it was a trip down memory lane thfor the next one. With another voyage into the arena of discovery that is the Old Skool room being, frankly, compulsary, for Sharkey and UFO's "Trancecore Classics" set.

I knew it would be good and the packed dancefloor of similarly enlightened ravers on my arrival backed this up. As an extra bonus, not only were Sharks and UFO in full effect, but Druid was also in the place to fill any gaps that may appear. Not that there were many, but I didn't have any problem with him being there, especially when, with the benefit of hindsight, I knew what I was about to experience.
Undoubtably the set of the night, for sheer intensity alone, but also for musical content and not forgetting the amount of times I rushed hard enough to have to prop myself up against the wall.
It was glorious, no other word can describe it, partially because the tune selection was so damn good, but also becuase everyone, bar none was loving it. Even people, who, how shall I say, are more selective than others with regard to what they dance to were going for it non stop. Easily done when the set included numerous underplayed blinders such as "Temporal Rift", "Waves of desire" and "Trip to the other side".
As well as that, the 100% MC free rule had gone out the window too, but that werent exactly the problem some might say it was, especially when it included Sharks welcoming us to "The Birth of Freeform" and the ever capable MC Knight taking over thereafter and keeping things well undercontrol as always with his understated running the joint, lyrics such as "Hardcore raver in the place".
Not sure if it was next or not, but the next thing I remember was being back in the main room for the start of Carbon Based' set. It was actually a joint collaboration from Carbon Based and Dj RX, which was not originally on the flyer, but I based on previous experience, I knew the addition would be worth it.
As it turned out, it was one of the stranger sets of the night. Firmly rooted within the genre of Finnish Freeform, this is a seperate entity which has been allowed to grow independently of other influences, consequently, the sound is unique to say the least.
This was apparant due to the fact that the set consisted of tunes which were utterly unknown to me. However, just because they were all new to me didnt stop me from being seriously impressed with what was on offer.
This was mostly due to to the numerous different interpretations of the freeform sound within their set. The music stayed the same with regard to the genre, but the individual tunes were wide ranging, with party, anthemic, epic, then hard all getting a look in during the first 15 minutes or so.
Thereafter, with one of the DJs making his presence felt by taking his top off and getting on it on top of the speaker stacks when he werent playing CDs its was minimalist all the way till the end of the set. Even though some of it was bordering on the strage side, it was still something to behold, not to mention something very different from the norm.
Mind you, if you wanted different, then how does a die-hard Freeform jock playing a classic DnB set in the middle room grab you? By the knackers if you're anything like me, so as soon as I had been Carbon Based, I got myself in there like a shot.
I had never seen this before, hell, I'd never even HEARD of this before, so what followed next was a rare treat, a change from the norm, a chance to see someone stretch their musical legs and the crowd to love every minute of it.
With the evening being previously dominated by relentless kicks, it was refreshing to hear some DnB breakbeats in the place so when Kev Energy got down to business, I did the same. It was fair to say I was flagging a little by this point, but there was no way I was going to waste this opportunity. Neither, by the look of things was the DJ.
Not only did Kev explore the full history of DnB in his set, but he also managed to keep it credible while he was doing so. The tunes were from possibly my favourite era of DnB, about the same time as I began to get into it as a musical style, with "Technology", "Fugees or not" and "The Helicopter tune all getting a look in, as well as numerous tunes I know by sound if not by name.
It was a Highly enjoyable set all round, if for no other reason than for the fact that I could (for once) actually listen to the music. The MC free rule of the middle room was once again in full effect, and Kev intended it to stay that way. Mostly becuase of the amount of times he sent away some clueless mic blagger, hell bent on waffling over the music. Smart move.
Well, that was quick. Very quick. Before I knew it it was 5am again, time for one more set before I could give my battered feet a well deserved rest. However, not before getting on it in no uncertain terms to the finale of the evening, in the main arena where Sharkey and Gammer were all set to give the remaining ravers a taste of their interpretation of Hardcore.
Greatness was in store, I could tell. I was right as well, with Gammer concentrating on the music and Sharkz alternating between the same and some very welcome mic duties, it was a "Freeform" set in its most enlightening sense.
Not just freeform music, but a freeform set. Gammer and Sharkz proved they are more than one trick ponies by playing tunes from EVERY genre that Hardcore has to offer. Its not often that I get to rave to a set which offers the diversity and the forward thinking that I respect and appreciate, but this was it.
Like I said, Everything was on offer, but not only that, it was a virtual playlist of my favourite tunes b2b2b. You name it, it was there, with "Dropzone", "This is how we do it", "Tripod" (Which I LOVE), "Show me a sign", "Life is a construct" (which made me rush HARD), "Pullover", "Pumpin Religion", the remix of "Get ****ed" and finally finishing on "you're my angel". This weren't the intended set finisher, but security had pulled the plug on the system by then, so it the intended finisher will have to remain a mystery. I was exhausted, tired beyond belief and had to wait around for an hour to get the train home, but I didn't care, it was that good.
Things I liked.
Hardcore in the right place - I.E. In the main arena, complete with kicking sound system.
Doing it all over again - Freeformation was an absolute blinder last time and this was exactly what I was looking for in the second coming, Namely an action replay right till the finish.
Attendance - If anything, this was even better attended than last time. I know they got damn near capacity last time, but it was definitely busier, like having trouble moving round the place busier.
Old Skool everything arena - Probably my favourite arena of the night. Dont get me wrong the main room was rammed and bouncing all night long, but for sheer enjoyment, I was right where I needed to be in the middle room. Best old skool arena in the UK? Well its definitely up there, and thats up against some serious competiton.
Free "FINRG" Tshirt - Courtesy of DJ Rx. Thanks!
Things I liked less:
Drink prices - Again it was 4 quid a can. It was remarkably difficult to get drunk at those prices.
Sound system in the second arena - This really needs beefing up. On its own it would be fine, but when you compare it to the full on rig in the maon room, it goes away wanting.
Another round of Freeformation @ Hidden and another top night out had for precisely nothing. In fact the only thing it did cost me was my deepest energy reserves. The music was just too good to not dance to it so that was what I did. I dont think I had a rest of more then 5 minutes all night and that was simply down to how good the tunes were.
From Sharkey and UFO's Trancecore set to Kevin Energy's DnB darkness. From the commercial sounds of UFO's main arena upfront set, to the cutting edge experimental sound of Carbon Based and Rx. Not forgetting, of course, Luna-C's random hour. All of it had to be raved to so I did. Under normal circumstances, this would not be a problem, but on this occasion it was fair to say I had not quite recovered from the HH weekender, which had exhausted me not 5 days before.
As a result I left the place utterly exhausted. It was a tricky situation to be in, knowing I was finished, but also knowing that I wouldnt get a chance to rave to this sort of music for a good while, so I got on with it and at the end of the night was barely able to stand up.
When the nights music compells you to dance even though you are barely able to do so no matter how much effort you summon up, you know it has to be good. To this end I'll be going to the next one for more of the same. I'll see you there.
astraboy.
Old 28 March 2006, 10:00 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Old 28 March 2006, 10:00 PM
pete higham
Scooby Regular

Location: Salford & SMACS,,,,,,,,, and in the smacs muppets and numpty thread

do you like having the **** taken out of you

*sits back and waits*
Old 28 March 2006, 10:02 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

One of the surprises of last year
I knew what to expect
Old 28 March 2006, 10:05 PM
pete higham
Scooby Regular

Location: Salford & SMACS,,,,,,,,, and in the smacs muppets and numpty thread

Originally Posted by Bubba po
bubba you really didnt read all that did you
Old 28 March 2006, 10:07 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pete higham
bubba you really didnt read all that did you
PMSL, No, just the first paragraph.

That was enough. :thundercloud smiley:
Old 28 March 2006, 10:10 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

For Bubba...

Old 28 March 2006, 10:13 PM
Crazy Chick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little-ginge
For Bubba...

Does that mean only Bubba can see the pic?
Old 28 March 2006, 10:49 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

Astraboy, chris says your doin well in the uk drifting scene, good stuff mate !
Old 28 March 2006, 11:19 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Last Friday I went to a bar. I knew from the excited looks on everyone's faces it was going to be a special night. My only criticism would be the crisps - they'd run out of salt and vinegar which was a bit daft, but it didn't matter because everyone was in a bar... together, and noone could take that away from us.
Old 28 March 2006, 11:22 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

I went out on Friday and did loads of pills......3 quid a bloody bottle
Old 29 March 2006, 01:13 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5OLF
I went out on Friday and did loads of pills......3 quid a bloody bottle
Yeh - at least they're diet.
Old 29 March 2006, 11:12 AM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

another pile of toss by astraboi
yawn
im going to post some parcels in a minute
i know ill do a mini review

imagine the scene ............
persons present
energymaster mong (aka me)
mixmaster flashoid (one of my dogs)
dj wikkedy wik (the other dog)

location a spacious arena with full lighting and chill out accesories (my lounge sat on the couch)

I am in full on munch mode, I have got all my foodage tackle right down to the last spec
toast? check
plate? check
butter? check
and if things get a bit frenetic ive always got my essential supply of tea made milky cos mummys little raver likes it this way.
I proceed to fill my mouth with the crunchy treat whilst scanning the info channels on sky in a rub dub wikked styley all the while fielding calls on my celly phone from other clued up couch ravers. By the look of anticipation on my canine groover chums they
a, are clued up pooches and love a bit of morning tv to sort them out
b, fully expect me to drop a bit of buttered up crunchy morsels in a floorwise motion
i proceed to mosh my way through the channels pausing to note that there is a lack of happy bloody hardcore on at 9am in the morning. What is a rinsing mixtastic warrior like myself meant to do with his time once his raving fury is upon him. I bounce around the floor waving my arms skywards feeling the funktastic flow of mid morning brekky telly music. Oh too late my hardcore trance frenzy has jogged the arm of the sofa and now dj wikkedy wik has noticed the toast has fallen off the plate and he has stopped licking his own **** and eaten my crumbtastic feast
bunnies!!!
i will go for a lie down and dream of saturday when i can don my raving togs and become astraboi dance warrior supreme!!!
things i liked: new sky banner and favorites option
things i didnt like: the post was late and it was mostly bills
shouts out to the posty, fella doing next doors path, both dogs and the wife doing the ironing

rave on fellow hardcore muffins
Old 29 March 2006, 12:01 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

This reminds me.. I was on the metro system in Budapest a couple of weeks ago and some guys was sitting in his seat doing the white glove dancing thing listening to his Walkman. It was about 11am... what a freak!
Old 29 March 2006, 12:34 PM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

astraboi gets around doesnt he?
chillin like a villan in buda p
he is a legend in his own over inflated ego ridden opinion
the plastic raving muppet fool
harder faster etc
yawn
Old 29 March 2006, 12:55 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Hey AB, nice post.

Its nice to see people actively seeking and enjoying their music. Reminds me of my time in the late 80's

I appreciate the reviews anyway, even if I skim most of them
Old 29 March 2006, 11:55 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

cheers Jay, I know they are appreciated, its nice to here from who everyonce in a while.
As for Exscooby, I've worked it out. Its jealousy that motivates him. Y'see, whether he likes to admit it or not, he was at my stage of enjoying the music once and deep down, he wishes he could go back to those halcyan days before he developed professional interests in the scene and it all went to rat****.
astraboy.
Old 30 March 2006, 12:39 AM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

These reviews are a load of toss and have no place on here - it's cringeworthy. Why not post them on some rave sight (which I'm sure you probably have already) and let the other pill munching weirdos who are into "the scene" inflate your ego for you by replying to the utter drivel your mdma pickled mind chunders out.

You're almost as bad as PSLewis or whatever he's calling himself these days........Tsssk.
Old 30 March 2006, 03:56 AM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

jealous of your pretend raving haha
yes thats it
Old 30 March 2006, 07:02 AM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

actually im jealous that you are pushing 30 live at home with your mummy and prat around with kiddies half your age
"off your ****" to quote you on ephedrine whilst taking a a4 pad of paper and a pen to plastic "raves"
you are a walking joke and a disney raver
harder , faster , longer dear god !!!
Old 30 March 2006, 07:32 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Bubba po
One of the surprises of last year

Quote:
I knew what to expect
AB must be related James Blunt.

My life is brilliant.
My love is pure.
I saw an angel.
Of that I'm sure.
She smiled at me on the subway.
She was with another man.
But I won't lose no sleep on that,
'Cause I've got a plan.

You're beautiful. You're beautiful.
You're beautiful, it's true.
I saw you face in a crowded place,
And I don't know what to do,
'Cause I'll never be with you.

What happened to your plan ********
Old 30 March 2006, 08:08 AM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

oh his plan is working fine
he posts this gobbledy gook on a specialist car forum and we all laugh at his pretend raver fake street cred
he is the normski of the modern times
wikked innit
grow up man you are 30 not 15
Old 30 March 2006, 08:46 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

My camping story is about the time DH and I had a belated honeymoon with the Ugly Sister and her brand new DH. I should explain that DH and I set our wedding date and, when we announced it to the Ugly Sister, she replied that she and her DBF would be getting married on the same day! (Typical...!)

We played with the idea of a double wedding but ended up brawling over whether the men would wear cummerbunds or not (good grief!) So, our weddings were a fortnight apart: ours on the 25th March and theirs on 9th April. No-one wore a cummerbund...

*We* were married at sea (well, actually, tied up to a very upmarket mooring at Newcastle's Queen's Wharf) and *they* were married in a park (right next-door to a very dicey cricket pitch). Neither couple had much money for a honeymoon, although DH and I had a few days in Sydney and went to the zoo... So, Ugly suggested we should all borrow her new DBIL's tent and go camping proir to the Events! What a great idea!

We determined to camp at the Upper Allyn, which is a glorious pocket of temperate rainforest about two hours' drive north of Newcastle. For some odd reason, DS came with us... I don't think I could bear the thought of camping in a rainforest and leaving him behind... anyway, he came. It was January. Stinking hot! Flies. Mosquitoes. Leeches. Rain. We went!

The way into Upper Allyn has four river fords to cross. They're just flat concrete bridges that allow you to avoid axle damage, but they're usually covered in water. This was drought time, so the roadway was exposed and we were able to stop on the ford and have a Good Look at the Allyn River. Well, the Allyn Trickle, really! As we stood, looking into the sparkling water and hoping to see a tortoise or something, I noticed that a large black thing was stuck in one of the she-oak trees immediately to my left.

Looking more closely, I saw that it was a gigantic Diamond Python! Wow! 'Look!' I ejaculated, 'See the size of this snake!' Ugly hurried to have a look and when we turned to show our respective DBFs there was nothing there! Just a faint cloud of dust and a lingering hint of aftershave in the midday haze... They'd run off and jumped into the car! (Neither of our spice is 'good' about snakes - you call this condition 'herpetophobia' and it's completely incurable!)

I should add that a Diamond Python is one of the very few harmless snakes we have in Australia, but that this particular example was a prodigy: he must've been ten feet long and thicker than my arm! He was glossy black with a brilliant pattern of red, white and yellow diamonds along his back. Exquisite! And there he lay, coiled in the fork of a tree and just enjoyin' the afternoon sun on his scales! He raised his big, blunt head to look at us and then went back to sleep.

We drove on, farther into the rainforest with me hanging out the sunshine roof and gawking at all the wonderful trees (and naming each of them in Latin for the benefit of my philistine companions). This was why I was forced to stick my head out the roof: the others got entirely sick of me rattling off my litany of 'Eucalyptus saligna', 'Tristania conferta', 'Toona australis', 'Nothofagus moorei' and so on... so they banished me out the roof!

A while later, we came upon an *echidna*, waddling across the road! Echidnas are quite common in Oz, but they're very reticent and so you *very* rarely see one! Oh, an echidna is a spiny anteater, sort of like a hedgehog. The animal is about the size of a very large cat, but his spines make him appear much larger. The spines aren't so much sharp as impenetrable (they're made of compressed hairs and clack noisily as the animal moseys along), so there aren't many predators that can 'do' echidnas! Echidnas are also one of the two egg-laying mammals that live in Oceania: the other is the platypus. While platypus live in clear streams and nest in riverbanks, echidnas like thick forest and dig deep burrows where they lay their two eggs and nurture their tiny baked-bean-like young, which feed on milk from sweat-like glands inside the mother's pouch.

Anyway, I digress... I'm starting to sound like a teacher... ;->

We arrived at the camping ground to find we were the only inhabitants. Great! Privacy! We pitched our six-man, three-room, zippered tent and spread out all our supplies. Then, we went down to the river's edge and dipped in our toes. Brrr! Too cold for Ugly and me. DH and DBIL stripped off to their shorts and gingerly made their way to the edge of the pool. Suddenly, DH yelped and sprang backward! There was a humungus yabbie attached to his toe! (Freshwater crayfish). This must've been the Original Yabbie in the Allyn River system: it was *huge*! Greyish-white with red claws and bright, electric blue on its sides, this yabbie was havin' my Big Hunn for lunch and would brook no argument! Poor Hunn was beside himself! It took all three of us to dislodge Granny Yabbie and put her back in the pool. The boys determined that perhaps swimming was not such a bright idea, considering...

So, instead we went for a walk downstream. We began to hear sounds of splashing, diving and general delight so figured this must be the swimming hole! It was, and we all stripped off and jumped in with the happy throng. No yabbies down *here*: just a mob of teenaged kids with an old inner tube and lots of energy!

My DBIL discovered that the whole population of this waterhole comprised his former Boss and extended family! The Boss had a permanent caravan (mobile home) parked onsite and invited us up for 'drinks'. We emerged from the waterhole and made our way to the caravan, where Mrs Boss had just finished cooking chicken and was serving Beer, Wine and Spirits from her gigantic fridge! We sat down and whiled away a *wonderful* afternoon sipping Gin Fizzes and swapping stories. They thought DH's run-in with Granny Yabbie was pretty funny and we found an *awful* lot to laugh about in the course of that afternoon!

Until, The Boss exclaimed 'Bloody H*ll! That sounds like a storm coming up!' Next, there was a deafening clap of thunder and the heavens opened!

We immediately said a hasty goodbye and began to make our soggy way up the track to our campsite. Ugly and I found ourselves completely unable to control our legs! (I think this is where the expression 'legless drunk' comes from...) Those Gin Fizzes must've had Avgas in them! Mind you, I'd stopped counting after the eleventh one, owing to an inability to utter the word 'eleven' satisfactorily! Ugly was worse than me and began to sing in a raucous, sort of scary way 'All the leaves are brown (the leaves are brown) and the sky is grey (the sky is grey)...' It took *ages* to get back to camp, because we made more progress sideways than we did forward! When we finally got there, both Ugly and I pulled faces at our disrespectful spice (who were giggling at us) and hit our blow-up mattresses! The storm was pounding outside, but we slept the sleep of the sozzled and remained unconscious for quite some time.

I awoke to a strange sensation! I dreamed I was floating on a wine dark sea... perhaps it was a gin dark sea... and that someone was beating a drum right beside my ear... I sat up... I looked about me... I *was* floating! The 'drum' was the driving rain hitting the rubber flysheet of our tent! The noise was incredible!

The storm had breached our tent and there was at least six inches of water inside it. My inflatable mattress was floating aimlessly about our room, which had a rubber floor and was holding the water. I screeched for DH, but of course he couldn't hear me! I got carefully up and looked into Ugly's room. There she was, flat on he stomach, snoring (as usual) like a walrus and looking for all the world like a beached Dugong (Manatee)! She was floating too!

Everything was drenched: our bags, our bedding, all our clothes, everything! Actually, the food was safe inside the Esky (portable fridge), so that was OK. I went in search of the disrespectful spice...

There they were, sittin' in the doorway of the tent sharing a beer, a smoke and a game of cards. They had on nothing but their underpants! They were still giggling about Ugly and me being a tad under the weather! I pushed them both out into the storm and said 'What are we going to do? Everything's drenched in rain!' So, with an exceedingly bad grace, the irreverent, irrepressible pair decided to dig a trench around the tent to stop the runoff from running into our dwelling. They didn't have a shovel, so started doing it with their hands. Gormless berks! Eventually, DBIL decided to go and beg a shovel off The Boss, so he went off into the storm, still clad only in his baby blue Jocks!

DH and I began to pile as much as we could onto the Esky. I should add that DS had taken refuge in our car (Mitsubishi L300 van) and was waving frantically through the fogged-up window. He's autistic and can't *stand* noise, especially thunder! I ran to him and told him to turn on the radio and sing. As I ran back to the tent, I could just hear him wailing 'Why, why, why, Delilah...' over the storm!

DBIL came back with a shovel and the pair of spice dug a nice trench around the tent. The water stopped running in and we were able to bale out the flood with buckets. It was at this point that Ugly woke up.

Now, Ugly is quite unique in her demeanour at any time. When she's been tanked up with Gin Fizz, she is, shall I say: 'somewhat unpleasant'. She began snarling immediately: 'Warren! Pack up! I'm going home!'

'How?' asked DBIL, 'It's raining too hard to pack the car. Besides, Matt's in there giving himself a concert.'

'I ain't nuthin' but a hound dawg...' concurred DS from the van, 'cryin' over yoo-oo-...'

Ugly began unpiling our pile of wet Stuff, trying to extricate her own gear from it. She succeeded in knocking it all down onto the wet floor and rendering it muddy from the soil, which had been tracked in by the disprespectful spice. She said a Terribly Rude Word (which I later reported to Mum, like a Good Daughter should). Outvoted, Ugly determined to go back to her inflatable mattress and float for a while longer. We continued to try and clear up the mess.

Eventually, the storm stopped and the sun shone brilliantly through the clouds. It was getting late and we were all cold, shivering in wet things. The spice built a huge bonfire and we rigged up forked sticks and a clotheslines over it to dry our stuff. We had cold salad for dinner and went to bed at about 2am, because that's how long our bedding took to dry!

Not long after hitting the sack, there came a pounding noise: dong, dong, dong, dong, dong, dong... you could *feel* the vibrations through the ground and we all sat up on our mattresses wondering whether we were about to be carted off by aliens for experimental purposes!

It was a mob of pademelons (small wallabies/kangaroos), coming to raid the garbage bins for fruit scraps and old bread! The noise was the sound of them jumping along the ground. They were gorgeous! I got up to have a look, while the rest of the lazy crew went back to sleep. I found DS with gleaming eyes in the moonlight, laying out most of our bread for them! 'Oh Mum!' he exclaimed, 'Aren't they just beautiful!?' When a particularly bold pademelon approached and took bread from his hand, the look on his face reminded me why I love this kid so much! We eventually got to sleep and rose Very Late the next day. We spent it driving through the logging trails and gawking at the birds and plants. No remarkable incidents happened that day.

Excepting, we picked up a heap of firewood for our fire and filled the van with it. Ugly and I determined that it would be good to stand up and hang out the sunshine roof, so we did! We were sticking out from the waist up. DH acclerated down a hill and the thrill was exhilarating! We began to sing! As is our wont on occasions of great emotional presence.

'I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I wonder if one day that you'll say that you care if you'll say you'll love me madly....'

We arrived at the bottom of the hill and swung around a bend, still singing raucously:

'Are you leading me on? Tomorrow will you be gone?'.

We landed smack in the middle of a Sunday School picnic with a highly amused Vicar looking at us from beneath exaggeratedly elevated eyebrows! How embarrassment! We waved graciously and motored sedately on...

We stayed another night and then made our way home. To our horror, we found the gigantic Diamond Python dead on the river ford. The tyre tracks told the story: someone had deviated out of their way to run over him as he lay on the ford, skidded on top of him, and driven off! Why...?

Ugly and DBIL made their own way home via the highway in their own vehicle, but DH and I went via Buckett's Way, which takes you across the mountain ridge and down the country road. At one point, we rounded a corner and arrived upon a flock of over a thousand galahs, all poring over the road and gobbling up wheat, which had been spilled there. (Galahs, are medium-sized parrots in pale dove grey and rose pink: very pretty and *very* vocal!) After we had watched them for a while, they rose as one and wheeled off into the perfect blue sky. Blotting out the sun and deafening us completely for a moment!

At another point, DH saw a wonderful photo-opportunity. The town of Gloucester was framed between two mountain peaks with one of those 'holy' shafts of sunlight trained on it from a gap in the clouds. He stopped, pulled on the handbrake perfunctorily and ran to get his picture before the clouds shifted. We were parked on a car-width road at the top of a razor ridge. On both sides, all you could see was Sheer Descent! As I sat there, very still and trying not to breathe, the earth moved! I shook my head and realised the earth wasn't really moving, it was the car! The brakes were slipping and I would surely plummet to my untidy death before I'd ever made the Altar! I actually managed to seize the handbrake before a sheepishly grinning DH got back, but only just!

Following this wonderful holiday, Ugly declared that she will Never camp again, no matter what! DH and I determined that camping is the best and most exciting way of seeing the country and wished we could do it more often!

HOW FUKCING BORING....REMIND YOU OF SOMETHING

Last edited by T5OLF; 30 March 2006 at 08:48 AM.
Old 30 March 2006, 08:51 AM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

exactly
haha
great post golfy
Old 30 March 2006, 08:54 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this not non scooby related though?,compared to some of the tosh posted this is ok
Old 30 March 2006, 09:00 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

And no i'm not jealous before you ask AB, i've better things to do than feel **** till Wednesday just for one night out.