Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is this a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2006, 11:19 PM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a mistake?

I have been prescribed some tablets to help reduce fluid build up on the brain (I have IIH) however before taking these tonight i did a quick search and these are anti depressants?

the tablets are Amitriptyline 10mg.
Having done a search these are anti depressants and for help with chronic pain?
WTF I don't get any pain other than migraines ... but surely they won't help reduce the build up of fluid?
Old 24 March 2006, 11:25 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

No
Old 24 March 2006, 11:28 PM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

No its not a mistake or no its not gonna help the build up of fluid?
Old 24 March 2006, 11:49 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Tams, drugs can have multiple usage.If you have read the instructions/done the internet search and,if you are in any doubt, you are within your rights to re-consult your GP.Ring National Health line to discuss it,if you need to.
Old 24 March 2006, 11:50 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Amitriptyline can behave like an atropine if you are suffering from urinary retention. Atropine will lower the activity of muscles that receive 'instructions' from the parasympathetic nervous system.

There is every possibility that this is the correct drug, if you have a kidney or bladder problem along with your wonky brain, but I would maybe try and talk to your doc or pharmacist before starting on the couse. (It won't do you any harm, but there is a hugh leap of faith to get from urinary retention to water on the brain)
Old 24 March 2006, 11:53 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

p.s. - I am financial advisor. The last time I looked at any of this stuff was in 1990, so I could be talking cr4p by now
Old 24 March 2006, 11:56 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
p.s. - I am financial advisor.
Quite.
Remember, fluid retention can go down as well as up.
Old 25 March 2006, 12:03 AM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

TBH if they are the right drug I would rather not take them as I dont want anti depressants! I dont agree with taking pills etc etc but this is a must otherwise I will have to have another spinal tap
Old 25 March 2006, 12:05 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by imlach
Quite.
Remember, fluid retention can go down as well as up.
Swegal - I would suggest that you arrange adequate life insurance before you take the drug, and update your will

p.s. - Is my e-mail working?

p.p.s - Hi Imalch
Old 25 March 2006, 12:19 AM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

Life insurance oh and I don't have a Will ... Think I need to call chemist tomorrow cheers guys
Old 25 March 2006, 12:24 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

anti depressants be careful
Old 25 March 2006, 12:31 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right thats it, not coming round your place Tams

Tony
Old 25 March 2006, 12:33 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

No it isn't a mistake (according to someone in the know!). You need to talk to your doctor about possible side effects when you're prescribed a new drug. No point just googling it once you get home! I expect the dose is below the range where it would have any anti-depressant effects, but you really need to speak to your GP
Old 25 March 2006, 12:35 AM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
No it isn't a mistake (according to someone in the know!). You need to talk to your doctor about possible side effects when you're prescribed a new drug. No point just googling it once you get home! I expect the dose is below the range where it would have any anti-depressant effects, but you really need to speak to your GP
More concerned with the fact it states side effects of dizziness ... suffering with eyesight anyway so dizziness is not good

Tony I may need you to come look after me
Old 25 March 2006, 12:39 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Hey, Tams.

I'm on Amitriptyline 20mg. I have been told that although it is classed as an anti-depressant, it isn't really one.

I don't agree with pill popping either. Unfortunately, it is the only thing which can help me atm.. As it has a tendancy to have a sedative effect, I take Amitriptyline to help me sleep at night and to help with chronic pain.. An amount as low as 10mg won't have an antidepressant effect - it didn't on me, and so far hasn't with 20mg.. hence why I have been put on other tablets too

Have you started taking them yet? I would recommend caution for the first few days until you know how sleepy the make you

Just make sure when you come off it the Doctor does it slowly... I missed one dose the other week and I felt awful - really sick and dizzy but other than that I haven't really noticed any other side effects so far..

Last edited by little-ginge; 25 March 2006 at 12:44 AM.
Old 25 March 2006, 12:41 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by ScoobywagonGl
Tony I may need you to come look after me
Well as long as your buying the beer and im amazed your still up!! shame me phones died a death (needs charging ) otherwise id be giving you grief now

Tony
Old 25 March 2006, 12:43 AM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little-ginge
Hey, Tams.

I'm on Amitriptyline 20mg. I have been told that although it is classed as an anti-depressant, it isn't really one.

I don't agree with pill popping either. Unfortunately, it is the only thing which can help me atm..I take Amitriptyline to help me sleep at night and to help with chronic pain.. An amount as low as 10mg won't have an antidepressant effect - it didn't on me, and so far hasn't with 20mg.. hence why I have been put on other tablets too
Thanx mate, nice to see i'm not the only one who should be taking it. Apparently i'm only 1 a night as i am rubbish with them! might still call and check it out before taking
Old 25 March 2006, 12:44 AM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Well as long as your buying the beer and im amazed your still up!! shame me phones died a death (needs charging ) otherwise id be giving you grief now

Tony
Beers in the fridge mate ... My phone is turned off specially now I know your in that mood ...
Old 25 March 2006, 12:44 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

More concerned with the fact it states side effects of dizziness ... suffering with eyesight anyway so dizziness is not good
Tams,drugs do have side effects but they should be taken if you want your problem to be solved.Dizziness may prevent you from concentrating and driving etc but it will save you from another fluid extraction.Even when this drug is changed,another drug may have side effects too.As long as they are not drastic,take it easy.
Old 25 March 2006, 12:45 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Beers in the fridge mate ... My phone is turned off specially now I know your in that mood ...
Cheeky

Tony
Old 25 March 2006, 12:46 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Thanx mate, nice to see i'm not the only one who should be taking it. Apparently i'm only 1 a night as i am rubbish with them! might still call and check it out before taking
I updated my last post ... be careful for the first few days as with any meds... let us know how you get on
xx
Old 25 March 2006, 12:48 AM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Tams,drugs do have side effects but they should be taken if you want your problem to be solved.Dizziness may prevent you from concentrating and driving etc but it will save you from another fluid extraction.Even when this drug is changed,another drug may have side effects too.As long as they are not drastic,take it easy.
Swati my left eye is now completely gone vision wise all i get is blurred so now have to wear glasses dizziness if it happens to me will cause problems as I already struggle with sight

Ant ... You knew that in 2000
Old 25 March 2006, 12:50 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Swati my left eye is now completely gone vision wise all i get is blurred so now have to wear glasses dizziness if it happens to me will cause problems as I already struggle with sight

You take care and do whatever you can to get better
Old 25 March 2006, 12:52 AM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

Thanx Swati x
Old 25 March 2006, 11:42 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

10mg of Amitriptyline is not going to have any anti-depressing effect. The most it will do is make you feel a little drowsy, make you sleep better, have a slight pain relieving effect and relax you a bit.
Obviously it will also help with your fluid problems.

For depression the usuall dosage is 75mg to start and 50-100mg maintenance dose per day.

Not many Doctors prescribe amitriptyline for depression now days as the modern drugs are far more effective.

I've taken 10mg at night for over two years after a heart attack. Only take it an hour or two before you goto bed and definately not before you go out or you will feel too drowsy.
When you first start taking it you may feel a little hungover in the morning.

Cheers
Lee
Old 25 March 2006, 12:27 PM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

Cheers Lee appreciated.
Old 25 March 2006, 10:41 PM
scoobyangel
Scooby Regular

i have taken Amitriptyline for a long time to battle the pain of cluster headaches... didnt suffer any side effects with them, only took one a night, cos yes they do help you sleep... i stopped taking them about 3 months ago and had no ill effects from stopping them either, i literally just stopped taking them, not gradual or anything!