Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Can anyone explain this to me...

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2006, 01:10 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Difficult to judge what he should get really. However he wasnt doing much on the outside as far as i could gather, sounds pretty much as tho he virtually asked for it.
Old 21 March 2006, 01:12 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by **************
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...514853,00.html

vs

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...216088,00.html

Wearside Jack didn't directly kill anyone although I agree his actions lead to the possible avoidable deaths of other victims and deserves his 8 years.

However two scum of the earth parents who in my view are responsible for manslaughter ONLY get 12 months and 2 years for locking their kids in their bedroom with a box of matches which results in their deaths.

How can 8 years for one crime and 2 years max for another just as if not more serious crime be comparable?

Unbelievable

The parents should have got 12+ years and both be sterilised for their crimes imho
Old 21 March 2006, 01:16 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

It can be explained very, very easily: The law is an ***.
Old 21 March 2006, 01:23 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

The parents were charged with neglect. How can they be charged with man slaughter when they did not directly kill the kids, which I believe is the requirement. Murder is the same as man-slaughter but premeditated as I understand.
Old 21 March 2006, 01:38 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

They were responsible for locking them in their room with a box of matches and no means of getting out of that room. At the ages of 2 and 1 there was only going to be one result giving them matches. The parents caused the death of those children yet only get 2 years and 1 year jail terms. Disgusting.
It was neglect and a tragedy, there was no intent to harm. However, I'm not sure why social services hadn't been keeping a closer eye on proceedings if the parents really do have such low IQ's

Trending Topics

Old 21 March 2006, 01:49 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I thought the direct actions of an individual that leads to the death of another can lead to being held accountable for manslaughter? ie the father giving a box of matches to his 2 year old son and them locking him in a room with those matches. Those are direct actions taken by the father that led to the death of the child. Thats not just neglect, that is putting a 2 year old child in direct danger.
I'm no lawyer, but I'm guessing there wasn't sufficient evidence otherwise they would have been charged accordingly. They can only be sentenced against what they are found guilty for.
Old 21 March 2006, 02:16 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
I'm no lawyer, but I'm guessing there wasn't sufficient evidence otherwise they would have been charged accordingly. They can only be sentenced against what they are found guilty for.

The sentence in no way reflects what they did and that seems wrong to me, the law is in such need of an overhaul and NOW!
Old 21 March 2006, 02:21 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
The sentence in no way reflects what they did and that seems wrong to me, the law is in such need of an overhaul and NOW!
The sentence reflects what they were found guilty of. There's a subtle difference. The CPS seem to be keen to push through lesser charges that they are confident they can win with the minimum of hassle so they can at least say they got a prosecution, rather than trying to make the charges fit the actual crime comitted. The judge can't exceed the maximum sentence for the crime they were found guilty of.
Old 21 March 2006, 04:14 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Agree with OllyK,
The CPS have targets to hit, presumably directed from the government, as a result they are more and more opting for lower charges for easier convictions to get a positive result.
It's a stupid situation which needs to be dealt with.

I think the sentence for Wearside Jack was right though.
Old 21 March 2006, 04:18 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
The CPS have targets to hit, presumably directed from the government, as a result they are more and more opting for lower charges for easier convictions to get a positive result.

Yep - much more sensible to charge them with a more serious offence which the jury will throw out, and then you can watch them walk away free.

M