Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

setting up a laser cutting business?

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2006, 11:10 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question setting up a laser cutting business?

hi,
im thinking about setting up a laser cutting service and am looking for advice. Im 19 and an engineering student and really want to get on in life. I dont know really where to start with this. I was wondering whether it would be hard to setup etc. pros and cons. I have a friend who owns a chassis firm who will pay me the going rate for the parts they require which would be £5k a month. not a lot i know, but its something.
I live in doncaster where theres not many laser cutters, they all seem to be in sheffield so shouldnt be too bad on saturation of a certain company. I have a friend who is willing to come in with the venture. At this stage in my life im young enough and willing to work as many hours as possible to see it would succeed. I have no idea how much i would make out of it after steel prices and cutting prices. I can get a unit for £80 a week or would sublet with my friends for less. My dad thinks its a stupid idea but i wont get rich working for someone and i want to make something of myself. I only get one shot at life right?!
any ideas?

cheers
Old 19 March 2006, 11:21 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Don't know anything about that business, but go for it!
Old 19 March 2006, 11:33 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

£5,000 a month income and £360 a month rent, that a bit more than McDonalds will pay you, crack on.
Old 20 March 2006, 12:56 AM
scarey
Scooby Regular

go to dti they have advice for start-ups
Old 22 March 2006, 09:44 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

I hope you have a lot of money if you're thinking about buying a CNC laser cutter.

The machines have a starting price of £300,000 then there are also expenses on top of that.
The machine requires a mixture of expensive gases to produce the heat required to cut metal.

have a look here for CNC laser cutters. These guys are the best in the world for CNC machines of this type and they have a massive show room in Kidderminster. http://www.amada.co.uk/Machindex.htm
Old 22 March 2006, 12:35 PM
Goochie
Scooby Regular

Your capital equipment investment will be the killer - But you dont need a new laser cutting machine so could save a little by getting a used one.

You'll never get rich by working for someone else.

Are you still at home with parents? if so, go for it while you dont have a wife/kids/mortgage etc.
Old 22 March 2006, 01:05 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

The thing is have you any money saved at all??

obviously do all your homework and dont just rely on promises of work - the last thing you want is laying out tens (or hundreds) of thousands of pounds and then the work dries up - be really pro-active with your marketing, know whom your are targeting, great website - i'm sure you know all this.

The main thing i've learnt through working at my old fella's company for the last 15 years is this: Keep your overheads and costs to a minimum, offer a qualaity product with a resonable delivery time, and let people know about it and you wont go far wrong.

Scrutinize every bit of purchasing that you do - can you get the same thing as good and cheaper.

Oh and dont let anyone put you down. Take advice by all means but go with your instincts and f*** em all and go for it.

***edited to add*** my spelling is terrible i'd never get a job on countdown

Last edited by The Chief; 22 March 2006 at 01:08 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 22 March 2006, 01:57 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

A CNC laser cutter will be an extremely hefty outlay, as mentioned above Amada would be the best bet, but you really need to keep the machines going constantly to make money. You can't just rely on a couple of mates for orders. Also as mentioned, you'll have to look at the competition of which there's a fair bit in South Yorks - have a look round your potential competition's factories (pretend to be a customer and do a bit of carrot-dangling) and see how they're set up. The easiest way to make money is to get the customer to supply materials on a free issue basis then your cashflow isn't tied up in materials.
You'll need to consider some premises to site the machine(s) & look into the myriad of health & safety regs. If you're in the right area you may be able to get some grant assistance. Try your local Business Link office for grants, or use a grant consultant (we use one in Sheffield called IG Consultants who have been really good.
Old 22 March 2006, 02:45 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

We have a couple of laser cutters at work, both costing the thick end of £500,000. We could not get by without them now. We do however have to run them 24 hours a day 7 days a week to keep up with the factory needs. Thats a whole wedge of work you have to find to keep one going though.

Not one to poo poo peoples aspirations but you need a steady flow of work to keep a machine like that viable. £5K per month isnt going to cut it im afraid.

Gary