R/C car bods??

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2006, 03:07 PM
David26
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/C car bods??

Hi,
Any of you guys run electric radio control cars? Just brought a Tamiya 1/10 scale Manta ray! Big kid i know but i always wanted one when they were first about in the late 80's.
It's good fun but i wouldn't mind abit more power/speed, so i need to upgrade the stock 540 motor. Anyone know of a good upgrade for this type of car?

Tia.

David.
Old 16 March 2006, 03:59 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

Fill ya boots mate!!!

http://modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunctio...egoryID=301010
Old 16 March 2006, 05:40 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Smaller pinion on the motor is always a good mod
Old 16 March 2006, 05:53 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

What speed controller do you have?

Those mod motors will probably fry the Tamiya mechanical controller or maybe even the other way round. If its electronic you need to make sure it can take low windings in order to run mods.

Also if I'm honest a mod motor will probably melt the gearbox too. Being an Manta Ray parts may be hard to source so lunching gearboxes might end up with a dead car until you find the right bits.

Look for a super stock motor which has a winding of 19 turns around the armature and uses one copper wire - hence the term 19X1 "Single"

The V endbell super stocks are very good and will be a big improvement over the std 540.

Once you have a posh motor you then need to check your batteries. Even a super stock can half the run time of old batteries and last only a minute or two with a mod motor.

Whats the spec list of your setup and I'll find a decent motor which shouldn't fry the car.

Old 16 March 2006, 10:45 PM
David26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
What speed controller do you have?

Those mod motors will probably fry the Tamiya mechanical controller or maybe even the other way round. If its electronic you need to make sure it can take low windings in order to run mods.

Also if I'm honest a mod motor will probably melt the gearbox too. Being an Manta Ray parts may be hard to source so lunching gearboxes might end up with a dead car until you find the right bits.

Look for a super stock motor which has a winding of 19 turns around the armature and uses one copper wire - hence the term 19X1 "Single"

The V endbell super stocks are very good and will be a big improvement over the std 540.

Once you have a posh motor you then need to check your batteries. Even a super stock can half the run time of old batteries and last only a minute or two with a mod motor.

Whats the spec list of your setup and I'll find a decent motor which shouldn't fry the car.

Spec list Sorry you will have to bare with me as i know very little about r/c cars, just started to get into them. I've got the manta ray re-release as it comes out of the box. I've been advised to change the speedo aswell as the motor, so i've ordered a sp3 Rv 15 speedo and a 15t motor. I was told by models in motion this will give me more than enough speed. You have me worried now with all this talk of fried cars and burnt out gear box's!
Do you think fitting these mods to my car will kill it?
Models in motion, who sold me and built my car are going to be fitting the new speedo and motor on saturday. Hopefully they would tell me if it's not such a good move.
Thanks for the info and anymore would be welcomed!

Thanks again.
David.