Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

"we have a buyer for your car" vehicle matching type companies?

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2006, 10:14 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "we have a buyer for your car" vehicle matching type companies?

Keep getting calls from vehicle match etc saying we have buyers for your car etc etc inevitably offering a good price. (RX7 for sale in auto trader)
Now the fact they want me to pay them £80-£100 means i think **** off why would i want to pay you to not sell my car, they argue they make money from finance they are arranging for the buyers etc etc.
The sceptic/realist in me just thinks crock of shyte but they do talk a good talk.
So anyone ever had any success with such matching private buyers to private sellers type companies or is it really just a too good to be true so probably is thing?
Si
Old 07 March 2006, 10:22 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

It's a scam. An old one too.

They tried it on with me once when I was selling a Corrado VR6. Apparently, there's 6 buyers in a 5 mile radius looking for a car exactly like mine. At the time, I was selling at my parents who are in the middle of nowhere in the country. There's unlikely to be 6 buyers of ANY type of car in the village, let alone all wanting a VR6!

Anyway, if you are thinking of being foolish enough to fall for it, at least agree to pay them on receipt/condition of sale, even offer them double (they won't agree btw as it's a scam).
Old 07 March 2006, 10:57 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Angry

If they're called CarData, politely tell them to Foxtrot Oscar. They ripped me off a few years back and I ended up called Barclaycard as they'd taken £70 off my card which I'd not authorised. They told me they'd only charge me if they founnd a buyer but then took the whole amount the next day. Shysters.
Old 07 March 2006, 11:48 AM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

Bunch of scammers, not just cardata every single one of them.

Think about it like this, when have you ever looked at a car being advertised by these guys! Where do they advertise????

Your best bet is local paper and autotrader without a doubt.
Old 07 March 2006, 12:19 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

yep my thoughts actually co called vehiclematch.
He kept going on abotu how he was affiliated with HSBC, parkers, autotrader ect etc etc & that they guaranteed to seel it within 7 days.
I said so what's guaranteed about it then you guarantee to give me my £100 back if you dont sell it weithin 7 days. Er no we keep it untill it sells so again what is guarantee well we guarantee to sell it....pmsl When he waffled on about percentage success on autotrader only being 5% or similar i asked so what is the %age you sell at within 7 days.
100% pmsl surpirised he didnt have the ordacity to do the 110% thing lol
Si
Old 07 March 2006, 12:35 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Wouldnt it make you suspicious that if there are all these people living so close that are desperate to buy your car that none have noticed the ad in Autotrader / Local Paper etc... ?

Just tell them you'll be glad for them to find a buyer, and you'll pay them the fee once the car is sold.
Old 07 March 2006, 01:37 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Just hang up on them, don't even waste your time
Old 07 March 2006, 02:12 PM
christyper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Just hang up on them, don't even waste your time
No, don't do that, then they keep calling. Say "ok, sounds good, let me just put you on hold for a minute while I get a pen/paper/card details etcc.." then leave them to hang up. They pay for the call and are paid on commission so if you waste their time, they will NOT be calling you back as it costs them.
I did this after many times of asking them to remove me from their records. After wasting their time they left me alone
Old 07 March 2006, 02:15 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

They make their money from contacting as many people as possible, I suppose they have something like a 60% success rate, where some poor sucker is drawn in, so if you keep them on the phone for a long time, then you ruin their average.

Just keep asking questions about the percentage, how it works, why you should use them, and go round and round in circles, and after about 15 mins, just go "na, not interested" and hang up.
Old 07 March 2006, 06:58 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

lol one did actually hang up on me last week when he goes "but we have buyers interested in your car now" "why do you think it's a con we have the buyers now" "look i can even give you their number" "GO ON THEN" beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep
lol
Si
Old 07 March 2006, 10:33 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

The companys that do this have even been on Watchdog, bunch of *******.
Old 08 March 2006, 07:19 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

My Daughter is selling her Mini, we have had dozens of such companys call its a nightmare and they really abusive when you try and tell them NO!
If they were any good they would find a buyer and take their commision afterwards ............ steer well clear.
Old 08 March 2006, 08:50 AM
Scooby Regular

See here...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/report...20050913.shtml

Avoid!!!
Old 08 March 2006, 09:05 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha Ha Ha ... this scam is at least 20 years old ... the fact that they are still around means that there are people who are so gullible about.

I love it when I say, "£60 to sell my car to a guaranteed buyer? My, my, thats cheap!! Tell you what? I'll pay you THREE TIMES that when I have sold to a buyer you send to view the car!"

And just repeat your AMAZING offer ..... say how you are amazed that they would want to 'only accept £60' - they are obviously a bad business if they are not cashing in .. therefore I'm not sure I want to do business with a bunch of losers ..

Mind you, just asking them to wait and putting them on hold is so satisfying

Pete
Old 08 March 2006, 11:11 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Never ever believe them!

Les