Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cashline bank card / switch card fraud?

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2006, 05:36 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cashline bank card / switch card fraud?

The wife has just had someone use her bank card details (not a credit card) to run up £400 on some sort of gambling machines. Looks like gambling machines used at airports etc. How do they (crooks) do this and what can we do to stop it in future? She contacted the bank and they have stopped her card and are "investigating". Was quite funny tbo, as she ranted for ages that it was me who was to blame

Jim
Old 05 March 2006, 05:40 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _RIP_
Was quite funny tbo, as she ranted for ages that it was me who was to blame

Jim

Ive had the same thing happen to me mate. When our cable bill came 'someone' must have hacked our system to watch 4 **** films last month. Took me ages to convince Sarah it wasnt me!!
Old 05 March 2006, 06:40 PM
Bram
Scooby Regular

Identity fraud is on the up. Shred everything you get giving your bank details, the oinks like rutting about garbage bins at shops,homes, petrol stations for details. Anybody can buy anybodys birth certificate all they got to have is a name and do a search at the registry office.

Its so easy peasy after they get the certificate and send the cards to a drop address.

Its why loans and cards are so expensive, somebody has to pay for the fraud.

Lol, Falkster a very selective crook even to get in your house to watch them, think he could at least taped them for you!

Last edited by Bram; 05 March 2006 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05 March 2006, 07:07 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

I thought chip and pin would have stopped this though. Bram, she does shred our documents and we're quite remote for bin raking. I'm still wondering how they can use bank cards with pin numbers.
Old 05 March 2006, 07:17 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

I thought chip and pin would have stopped this though. Bram, she does shred our documents and we're quite remote for bin raking. I'm still wondering how they can use bank cards with pin numbers.
There are still some card acceptance devices that don't ask for a PIN, e.g. petrol pumps, some train ticket machines.
Old 05 March 2006, 07:24 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

Originally Posted by dharbige
There are still some card acceptance devices that don't ask for a PIN, e.g. petrol pumps, some train ticket machines.
And probably electronic gambling machines. That would suit the vendors of these no doubt
Old 05 March 2006, 08:15 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

whats the point in gambling funds in an account created with the cardholders details? wouldn't any winnings only get paid back onto their card , cos if it went to a nominated bank account that would be an easy trail to follow.
Old 05 March 2006, 08:53 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paul-s
whats the point in gambling funds in an account created with the cardholders details? wouldn't any winnings only get paid back onto their card , .
Maybe he was just trying his hand at it before putting his own bank details in
Old 06 March 2006, 11:48 AM
_RIP_
BANNED

Originally Posted by paul-s
whats the point in gambling funds in an account created with the cardholders details? wouldn't any winnings only get paid back onto their card , cos if it went to a nominated bank account that would be an easy trail to follow.
No I think it's machines that pay out cash.
Old 06 March 2006, 01:11 PM
stevie_c
Scooby Regular

My card got cloned last year. The bank made me feel like a thief when I asked them where all my money had gone.
I went to report it to the police to get a crime number and found out I wasn't the only one.
When I used a cash machine I remember the card coming out slow, this was because they had put a very thin card reader in there, and when I typed in my pin number they were sitting with binoculars so they could see it.
2 hours later ''my card'' was used 300 miles away!

Got my money back eventually but still didn't like the bank telling me I just couldn't remember going on holiday and using my card! BarStewards!
Old 06 March 2006, 02:41 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

Originally Posted by stevie_c
My card got cloned last year. The bank made me feel like a thief when I asked them where all my money had gone.
I went to report it to the police to get a crime number and found out I wasn't the only one.
When I used a cash machine I remember the card coming out slow, this was because they had put a very thin card reader in there, and when I typed in my pin number they were sitting with binoculars so they could see it.
2 hours later ''my card'' was used 300 miles away!

Got my money back eventually but still didn't like the bank telling me I just couldn't remember going on holiday and using my card! BarStewards!
Stevie, did the bank ask you to report it to the police or did you do this yourself? Our bank has never mentioned this.
Old 06 March 2006, 02:44 PM
stevie_c
Scooby Regular

Stevie, did the bank ask you to report it to the police or did you do this yourself? Our bank has never mentioned this.
Bank told me it had to be reported to the police for the insurance that covered the account, I needed to give them a crime number.
Old 06 March 2006, 04:14 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

This happened to my better half last week.

They've got away with spending nearly £2,500 on her debit card - all smallish items under £100.00 I assume smaller amounts don't arouse suspicion.

Lots of stuff had been ordered from play.com and amazon I think, how do they get round delivery to an address that isn't linked to them?

The bank asked if she wanted to prosecute if the crook was found - rather take a bat to the thieving ***** head
Old 06 March 2006, 04:15 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie_c
Bank told me it had to be reported to the police for the insurance that covered the account, I needed to give them a crime number.

Hmmmmmmmm, haven't had to do this so far, bank have said they're investigating and she should get her money back.
Old 06 March 2006, 06:00 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris singleton
Lots of stuff had been ordered from play.com and amazon I think, how do they get round delivery to an address that isn't linked to them?
There are ways round the checking credit card address system, you just have to know how to do it! There are also still many online retailers that send to another address!
Old 06 March 2006, 06:25 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

My other half had money of various amounts eg £22.75 and £17.33 etc on different days deducted from his bank by something called pay.com luckily the bank have refunded the money but still dont know to this day what or who caused it.
Old 06 March 2006, 07:17 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

It was this company they used.

http://www.gamegrid.com/
Old 06 March 2006, 09:22 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

My dad had a phone call last week from the bank to ask about a 24k transfer from his account to a bank in China that he knew nothing about. Amazing what people can do these days. They were very close to geting away with it.
Old 06 March 2006, 09:49 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Luan,

If that had happened I would be closing my account at the bank tomorrow!

Any decent bank would have enough security measures in place to stop someone else doing a foriegn transfer from your account, unless you had been completly stupid and put all your bank details in your normal rubbish bag.

For international transfers, you should need:

photo ID such as passport or Driving license (they should only accept these) and they will be checked to see if they are real all cashiers should be trained in couterfeit detection.

your debit card,

they should do a visual check to see if you match the age of your account,

check that you know your address and telephone numbers

Ask you questions about recent transactions on your account,

Ask if you know anyone in the bank to confirm who you are

Then ask you to fill the form (in front of them)

Sign it which they will then check against the computer

It would be very difficult to get past all these checks if not impossible!
Old 06 March 2006, 09:57 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

don't know all the details yet as it only happend last week but the amount was 24.5 k and there was only 24k in the account which is why they phoned up. Any other time of the month they would probably have got away with it.
Edited to add that it was a business account. Hence they knew there would be a a fair amount of cash there. Becuase lots of suppliers have the numbers for bacs transfers etc its very hard to work out how it was done.
Old 06 March 2006, 10:03 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Would be interested to know as its not possible to take money out of an account with the bacs details OR the IBAN details. International transfers are all processed manually along the line some where.

Who was the bank?
Old 06 March 2006, 10:05 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

HSBC