Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Nitro radio control cars??

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2006, 11:07 AM
David26
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro radio control cars??

Any of you guys own one? Thinking of buying one off ebay, but would like to know a couple of things......

It's advertised as a petrol nitro r/c car, do they run out of petrol quickly?
Are they easy to look after?
Are there any places online where you can buy spares for them?

The one i'm looking at comes with a nissan skyline body shell, is it easy to pick up different ones. i.e a scooby one.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

David.
Old 05 March 2006, 11:10 AM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

I've got one. Wouldn't recommend spending loads on the first one you buy cos you can get bored of them (I have and it hardly moves now).
Old 05 March 2006, 11:28 AM
wah
Scooby Regular

Location: Stockport Cheshire Xbox Gamertag: Scooby WRX SMACS Member

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/

Old 05 March 2006, 11:45 AM
David26
Scooby Regular

Do they run on normal petrol or do you have to buy nitro fuel??

Cheers guys.

David.
Old 05 March 2006, 11:46 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

They don't use petrol they use nitro fuel and they can be quite tricky to maintain and look after. I had my 1/8th scale nitro buggy out in the snow yesterday and it was great fun A tank of fuel will last around 15-20 minutes generally but its easy to fill/top her up and keep playing.

Research them well before you buy as they are far too much hassle for many people. For every minute spend playing you'll spend 3 minutes fixing, tuning, cleaning and maintaining. Seriously.
Old 05 March 2006, 11:52 AM
falkster
Scooby Regular

What sort of model were you thinking of getting?? These days a few of my mates have got into the big trucks such as T Max or Savage but they dont do a great deal for me!! Best to get yourself something like a second hand Schumacher Fusion, they go like hell and should only cost you pennies to maintain which would be new tyres and glow plugs. Ive had a Schumacher Lotus 1:6 scale for 4 years and its cost me about 20 quid in maintaining it. As long as you keep the mixture nice and rich then engine will never go pop.

I do have a 1:4 proper petrol FG in very good condition for a cheap price if youre interested.....same engine as a lawn mower and go like freak!!!!
Old 05 March 2006, 01:39 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

To give you an idea of the potential hassle factor:

I just took mines out for a run in the snow. She ran great and I had a lot of fun for about 10-12 minutes and then it just stopped. It was like I had lost trasmission and the fail safe was applying the brake but I could see the wheels still turning so there wasn't a tranny problem. I got closer and took the lid off to discover I had limited throttle control. I played about a bit and then it jumped to full throttle and wouldn't shut down. Fortunately I had my foot braced against the car so it just sat spinning all 4 wheels. I couldn't regain throttle control so stalled the engine by blocking the exhaust.

I then returned to the house and decided to start the engine without the electronics on to run the rest of the fuel through the system. It wouldn't start for love nor money. I removed the glow plug and it looks like I've fouled it with fuel because its f*cked.

I then tested the electronics and the throttle seems to have a mind of its own. I suspect the control unit or servo has possibly taken in some water/slush. If I'm lucky it might dry out and be fine. It's more likely my 12 minutes of fun have cost £4 for a glow plug, £1 for the fuel and around £30-40 for another hi-torque servo. The car is also so dirty I'll have to dismantle 50% of it to clean it, then dry it, the built is back up and then lubricate it - at least 45 mimutes of work.

Eyes open my friend....
Old 05 March 2006, 04:47 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

But unless you put all your electrics in the correct servo bags (like balloons) then its your own fault for taking it out in the snow!!!!

Its like me saying I got my M3 out today in the snow, had some cracking **** out action until I hit a kurb and pulled off my back wheel!!

If you use them for what they are meant to be used for they wont cost you a penny.

Last edited by falkster; 05 March 2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05 March 2006, 05:00 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by falkster
If you use them for what they are meant to be used for they wont cost you a penny.
I agree, but I always find myself wanting to see what the car can done and looking for various tricks to perform.

Old 05 March 2006, 05:09 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Best bet if you want to get into remote control car is to go to 'large scale' (1/6). Something like FG marder. These run on a 2 stroke oil/petrol mixture and will run for about 50 ish mins. They are either come with a 23cc or a 26cc Zenoah engine. These are like your lawnmower engine or strimmer engine, so no hastle, well thats the theory. You don't need to tinker with the wngine at all except the L and H needs if you want max performance, other wise you can leave them on factory settings. They can do speed of around 50mph.

Only one down side to them they cost in the regon of £500 for the car (90% made) then you have to ad your radio (usually FM) then you have to by your High torque servos (£200-£300), fuel and oil and off you go. Far far les hastle with these than nitro. Nitro are more hastle than they are worth!!!

Darren

btw, I've had two of them in the past.
check out www.rcuniverse.com and head for the giant scale section.
Old 05 March 2006, 09:47 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

I'm considering getting a "Monster Truck" type one - I've had RC cars before and often thought why do I bother - they're more trouble than they're worth.

Could someone recommend me a decent one for less than £300 that I can use more than I tinker with ?

Thanks
Old 05 March 2006, 10:21 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

I agree with saxo boy

I have a tmax which is excellent when running properly,but seems to be happier at some times in crappy dirty hot conditons than in colder smoother cleener conditions.
Bits break and cost asmuch as real car parts.
It just conks out sometimes and wont idle properly,wont start,runs out of battery whilst starting.The cleening is a proper pain in the backside aswell.

That said it is ****ing awesome when it gives you at least one tank of fun without a problem,abolute bliss if I get 2 without a prob,Its almost as good the real thing except you cant get hurt and you wont loose your licence.
Old 05 March 2006, 11:27 PM
David26
Scooby Regular

Sound like a whole load of hastle!! Shame, i found a nice looking scooby nitro car at jperkinsdistribution.co.uk Just thought it was a case of fill them up and go Didn't realise they were such a pain in the ****!

Thanks for the info guys.

David