Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Taxing a car - problem.....

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2006, 10:16 AM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Taxing a car - problem.....

My brother bought his 1st car recently and I went along with him yesterday to pick it up from the car supermarket. I asked the salesman last week if he would tax the car but they don't do this.
The car is insured but the documents have not yet arrived so we could not tax the car using my brother's insurance. However the garage offer a free 1 weeks insurance which they said would take a few mins to set up on the phone, then the certificate would be emailed. After a 20mins conversation with a Bangladeshy call centre they assured my brother that a cert would now be emailed to the garage. After a long wait I decided we would just take the car home and return later to pick up the certificate. It did not arrive and now my father has done a very daft thing.....
He's only gone and posted the V5 form off to the DVLA which he also needed to tax the car! I watched him fill in the "New Keeper" details yesterday and I said that he would need to produce this with the insurance cert to get tax. It get's worse.. Not only has he done this but he has mistakenly posted it without a stamp. DOH!

My poor brother.

Nick
Old 05 March 2006, 10:26 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I'm sure there is a form you can get from the post office, to fill in for taxing the car, when you've not got the original document. Have you not got a cover note yet?? They could email that or fax it.
Old 05 March 2006, 10:42 AM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

I've just been in touch with my brother. Thankfully he has retained the New Keeper Supplement from the V5 form so at least he still has proof of ownership. Phew!
I've told him to ring his own insurance company to chase up the paperwork. Emailing him is a good option as long as they spell our stupid surname correctly.
Old 05 March 2006, 10:48 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

do you know any car traders with trade policy?????? get them to tax it, id do if for ya but your miles away
Old 05 March 2006, 11:09 AM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Thanks Apples, that's very kind of you. He is now persuing both insurance companies so hopefully he can get it sorted soon.

Nick
Old 05 March 2006, 11:37 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scan your TAX Disc into the PC and amend the details print it off and pop in the window of your brothers car

Pete

ps I wouldn't do that, but some old fella has just shouted it across the Bingo Lounge!!
Old 05 March 2006, 12:23 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a form at the post office/ dvla which you can use if you haven't got a logbook, ask for form V10 which is the 1 to tax the car and another V form which i can't remember which is the new owner 1.
If you've got a new style MOT or the car doesn't need 1 have a look on the dvla website, i retaxed my car on there last month
The website verifies you have insurance by looking into the database, it checks to see if a MOT is applicable and you pay by credit/ debit card