Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Switching off mobile phones in petrol stations

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2006, 11:50 PM
Bram
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching off mobile phones in petrol stations

Has anyone ever read or known about a petrol station being blown up or set on fire by mobile phones.

Also why dont the Police get asked to switch there radios when they are filling up.

Is it another H&S knows best, is it based on fact.
Old 04 March 2006, 11:52 PM
Moonloops
Scooby Regular

how about 25 hot exhausts turning up every 15 mins or so - health and safety gone mad
Old 04 March 2006, 11:55 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Its all just bull****e, i think its because of the theoretical risk that you could drop the phone and the battery could spark .
Old 04 March 2006, 11:57 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Its all just bull****e, i think its because of the theoretical risk that you could drop the phone and the battery could spark .
I think they tried all that sort of thing on brainiac, and it's all a load of old bollox, they could'nt cause an explosion even when they tried.
Old 04 March 2006, 11:58 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If you have ever watched myth busters on discovery,they suspended a mobile in a container full of petrol and rang it and jack **** happened

about 12 months ago though they had posters up in our local Texaco garage claiming that someone had answered their mobile at the pump and caused a big fire
Old 04 March 2006, 11:59 PM
Moonloops
Scooby Regular

.. mind you, I rang my mate last year - he worked at Bunsfield.. not got back to me in all this time
Old 05 March 2006, 12:03 AM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moonloops
.. mind you, I rang my mate last year - he worked at Bunsfield.. not got back to me in all this time
Old 05 March 2006, 12:54 AM
The Rani
Scooby Regular

There was a fire a few years ago at a Mobil garage somewhere near Ilford that was blamed on someone's mobile ringing while they were filling up.
Old 05 March 2006, 01:35 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

what a croc of ****e, I bet there's a few sparks going on under the bonnet every time some old fiesta pulls up.

If they are that worried about it, how come you dont have to ground your car whilst filling in case of static electric build up, Christ I've seen a blue spark across the door as I go to close it some days !

PMSL@ the mate at Buncefield

Andy
Old 05 March 2006, 01:40 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I think the reason was once narrowed down to the signals could upset the pumps circuitry and lead to false readings, meaning you may end up getting some free fuel or possibly paying too much which we do anyway in Britain Worth a try maybe Hold the mobi next to the fast moving numbers and send a text, you never know
Old 05 March 2006, 02:34 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

That is the reason. The miniscule chance of your battery conductors sparking against the concrete. Rediculous.
Old 05 March 2006, 08:04 AM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There was a cause of an unxplained fire at a pump which was eventually traced to a static build up which discharged as the customer offered the the nozzle up to the filler. The fumes ignited with the spark.
Since then ,the H &S ****'s try to blame it on anything they can think of. That's one reason why you aren't allowed to use a mobile phone at a pump.
Old 05 March 2006, 08:56 AM
ru'
Scooby Regular

In the states a lot of cases were due to people sitting back down in their car during filling (they can lock the pumps 'on').

Mainly women for some reason.

Anyway, static build-up on their clothes caused a spark when they grabbed the nozzle to remove it and this caught fire.

So, women should have to remove all their clothes before filling up, and should not be able to get back in the car throughout the whole process (although this could be made compulsory in some cases!)

Old 05 March 2006, 09:01 AM
richiewong
Twatful

If you have ever watched myth busters on discovery,they suspended a mobile in a container full of petrol and rang it and jack **** happened
Yeah saw that, even went as far a shorting out the battery so it sparked with no luck. Also did you see the one where they dropped a lit cigarette into petrol and **** all happened.
The smoldering tip was not hot enough to ignite petrol vapour

Or even when they shot the petrol tank with various calibres and even tracer rounds, did it blow up, did it sh1te
Old 05 March 2006, 09:12 AM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Location: A.K.A RAIDEN, Watford & Tidworth. V7 STI Type RA Spec C, V2 STI,97JDM WRX, Daytona 675R

Chavs with shell suits are a risk, static build up.

Seriously the major factors are static and the RF radio frequencies hazard.
We fill up our vehicles engines running but connect an earth lead that is grounded to the pumping vehicle and then to ground itself.
Radios are however set to standby.

One point to note. In the states the majority of pump fires have been caused by people filling up jerry cans whilst they are still in the load space on pick up trucks. This is because they use a lot of plastic load liners. No decent ground between the can, nozzle or truck. So static build up is discharged as a spark.
Old 05 March 2006, 09:39 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by richiewong
Yeah saw that, even went as far a shorting out the battery so it sparked with no luck. Also did you see the one where they dropped a lit cigarette into petrol and **** all happened.
The smoldering tip was not hot enough to ignite petrol vapour

Or even when they shot the petrol tank with various calibres and even tracer rounds, did it blow up, did it sh1te
Its like brainiac on drugs
Old 05 March 2006, 10:48 AM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

I dont know why but i always get an urge to light a cigerette when im at the petrol station??

Does the theory of not using mobiles inhospitals stand then? or is that another H&S gone mad??
Old 05 March 2006, 11:09 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is theoretically possible for the RF from a mobile phone to induce a spark from the filler nozzle to the petrol tank where you fill up.

It is obviously what seems to be over protective but would be disasterous should it happen. Its really not that difficult to avoid using the phone at the pumps anyway.

Les
Old 05 March 2006, 11:11 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by SCOsazOBY
I dont know why but i always get an urge to light a cigerette when im at the petrol station??

Does the theory of not using mobiles inhospitals stand then? or is that another H&S gone mad??
Dunno about hospitals but i kept my phone on ,on the flight to cyprus last year and the plane crashed killing all of us. Actually no it didnt it didnt make one bit of difference

took some amusing videoes of the vacum toilet unravelling a whole roll of bog roll in about 3 seconds flat
Old 05 March 2006, 11:51 AM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Dunno about hospitals but i kept my phone on ,on the flight to cyprus last year and the plane crashed killing all of us. Actually no it didnt it didnt make one bit of difference

took some amusing videoes of the vacum toilet unravelling a whole roll of bog roll in about 3 seconds flat
Lets see them then
Old 05 March 2006, 12:48 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I worked in an ultra sensitive envirionment, where we assembled explosive devices,

mobiles were banned in that area for the potential of rf to cause concerns.

we had a team in from a uni, to do some serious rf research, and they concluded there was no risk from the mobiles.

however they remained banned as the job they were doing required max concentration.

the concession being that for those who had mobiles, you had to stand away from the production cells if you took a call (previously it was out of the department)

Mart
Old 05 March 2006, 12:54 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Completely off topic but did anyone see Match of the Day with Alan Hansen's mobile going off during the show
Old 05 March 2006, 03:48 PM
Burt
Scooby Regular

about 12 months ago though they had posters up in our local Texaco garage claiming that someone had answered their mobile at the pump and caused a big fire
isn't it the fumes that are flamable????
Old 05 March 2006, 04:00 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

If the RF is potentially so dangerous, why do they allow them to place mobile phone base stations in the forecourt signs (just look for the tell tale warning notes, written in the smallest possible text at the bottom of the sign)?
Old 05 March 2006, 05:18 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

My mate who works with fuel, **** me right up one day proving the point about what can set light to fuel. He chucked his *** into my fuel tank.

Andy
Old 05 March 2006, 06:33 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
My mate who works with fuel, **** me right up one day proving the point about what can set light to fuel. He chucked his *** into my fuel tank.

Andy
It's the vapour that go's bang. Fill a bucket with petrol and a lighted match would just extinguish if dropped in. Leave the bucketfull in a room for an hour and then switch on a light or cause a spark by any means and you'll leave quicker than you entered.
Old 05 March 2006, 06:39 PM
nelboy75
Scooby Regular

missin the point guys!!!!
nothing to do with sparks,how can you think this to be true when they allow you to drive an engine to within 5 feet of the pumps that is sparking thousands of times a minute.
as said b4,its the frequency they communicate with the pumps to allow them to dispense fuel can be interferred with by a mobile,thus dodgy price,etc....
Old 05 March 2006, 07:00 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
It's the vapour that go's bang. Fill a bucket with petrol and a lighted match would just extinguish if dropped in. Leave the bucketfull in a room for an hour and then switch on a light or cause a spark by any means and you'll leave quicker than you entered.
Slightly Wrong.

A lighted match would set the fumes alight straight away.
It was the fact that the *** butt was just glowing that it doesn't do anything.
Old 06 March 2006, 10:44 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

It's not. There was a case a couple of years ago when a mobile rang whilst a bloke was filling his car up which caused the vapour to ignite resulting in serious burns to the bloke's crotch.

Additionally, if you go into any oil/gas terminal you are not allowed to use mobile phones unless they are intrinsically safe. Do you think they know something we don't, perhaps?

As for mobiles on aircraft, at the very least they cause interference with comms and this is only with one phone on, so the problems would be magnified with several hundred of them on board. Apart from that, do you really want to be cooped up with hundreds of peasants shouting into their phones 'oi, Dave me old mucker - guess where I am? Yeah, 30000ft above you - it's cool innit?'. Or some tosser of a businessman yelling to all and sundry. No thanks.
Old 06 March 2006, 11:17 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

A few Snopes articles that seem relevant
http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp
http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/static.asp

Quick Reply: Switching off mobile phones in petrol stations