Old 02 March 2006, 05:49 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had a flying lesson today!

Had my first flying lesson today!
Wow what a buzz

Only a cesna 152- but great fun.
Contemplating taking my PPL... any advice/thoughts?
Old 02 March 2006, 05:56 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Talking

Fun aint it!

Would do a ppl myself if i could afford it!

been in a 2 seater Bulldog a few times, did loop-the-loops, stall turns, barrel rolls etc! Best thing ever!

amazing your allowed to do all the really, do the equivelant in a car and its dangerous driving

Did a course to fly solo in a glider aswell, that was good fun, good training to, planes were a logical step up!

Maybe one day when i'm a superstar DJ like yourself

Wez
Old 02 March 2006, 06:23 PM
Dazzler
Scooby Regular

Girlfriend bought me a lesson for my birthday - really enjoyed every minute of it. It gives you a huge sense of freedom when you're up there don't you think?
Old 02 March 2006, 07:01 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Do a search on flying and you'll find the advice I gave last time this came up but be prepared to shell out a lot more than the flying school will tell you it's going to cost. The other issue is why you're actually doing it. Around 70% of PPLs don't continue flying once they have got their PPL(A) mainly as a result of cost. It ain't cheap.
Old 02 March 2006, 07:47 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

what a disapointment thought you were going to tell us about going over a hump-backed bridgw at 90+mph
Old 02 March 2006, 11:02 PM
mark1234
Scooby Regular

Location: Where women glow and men plunder, Xbox Gamertag Upsidedownmark

Yup. good day for it.. where'd you fly from?

early solo glider pilot.. went that way due to cheapness relative to powered flying. On the plus side, I think it's going to hold my interest better as it's more of a sport, there's a lot of skill to staying up (plenty of people did 2+hrs today, I kept falling out of the sky..) On the minus side, lot of hanging around and faffing.

Top moment for today was a little formation flying with 3 red kites - I joined their thermal, one of them came over for a look at the clumsy white bird.. right in close - about 10ft away. Stayed for a bit, then outclimbed me, ignored the airspace limits, and disappeared.
Old 02 March 2006, 11:55 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
Do a search on flying and you'll find the advice I gave last time this came up but be prepared to shell out a lot more than the flying school will tell you it's going to cost. The other issue is why you're actually doing it. Around 70% of PPLs don't continue flying once they have got their PPL(A) mainly as a result of cost. It ain't cheap.
Ditto. I posted a full list of what it cost me to do the PPL(A) 3 years or so ago. Came to nearly 7k IIRC (if you include petrol to drive to airfield etc.)

Also as above, if you ain't got a reason to do it, then consider carefully before you do. It ain't cheap, and it appears to be getting more expensive all the time. I've done ~100hours now, but my average monthly hour rate has dropped to such an extent that I'm now booking further lessons with a destructor to do my IMC. I'm doing this to stay safe mainly, not to fly IFR. (which would probably result in death at my current currency)

If you have any more specific questions, post away, as I and I'm sure others will be more than happy to answer them.
Old 03 March 2006, 12:00 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

if a few of you are saying doing it if you have a reason. What was your reason as I doubt you are all airline pilots
Old 03 March 2006, 12:09 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

I did it to take up aerobatics.

However the money situation has put paid to that for a few years, so I'm just keeping my licence valid now until I can afford a share in something. But I must admit to having thoughts of "letting it go".
Old 03 March 2006, 12:20 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

I did some reading on Easyjet a while ago.
IIRC you pay £3-4 to get your PPL then you pay another large sum to get accepted on their course to train as a airline pilot.
Old 03 March 2006, 12:35 AM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

When I was 17 I was lucky enough to be given £3k+ of lessons and accomodation by the RAF - 30 hours instruction (I just missed out on a 6th form scholarship but they gave me the Flying Scholarship).

My parents paid the extra 8 hours and I passed my PPL.

I then went to Uni, scraped the 5 hours needed to maintain my licence for the first year but then couldn't afford it after that, and so it has lapsed since then.

I had one amazing summer tho - passed my PPL before my driving test
Old 03 March 2006, 08:48 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

I'm one of the 70% that give up after obtaining their PPL. Learning to fly was a great experience but once you've got the licence you need to have a use for it otherwise it is expensive and very dull.
Flying around the South East (for me) in a slow and boring rental cost me a fortune and a lot of time becuase of the unpredictable weather but was not enjoyable at all. Travel by light aircraft is the most uncomfortable and expensive way to get around so the only logical reason to do it is if you plan to move on to something else later - ie a commercial licence.

Having said that, the learning process was great fun and you don't get a bigger buzz than your first solo and first solo cross country flight. I don't regret doing it but you have to accept that you are likely to throw away £6-7k and have nothing but some nice memories to show for it. Great if you have the cash but be realistic before getting in to it.
Old 03 March 2006, 09:15 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SimonD
you are likely to throw away £6-7k.
Sounds like buying a new subaru then p1ssing the money away after 3 years
Old 03 March 2006, 10:35 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

IIRC the main thing that people don't realise is that you have to fly a certain number of hours each year to keep your licence - if not, it lapses and then you have to commit to an expensive refresher course to get it back again. Hence the comments about "why".

Nice observation about the scoob though. I had one for a year, lost 10k on it. Which would I prefer, that or a flying licence? ****
Old 03 March 2006, 10:49 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you enjoyed it, which is the first hurdle. It does not suit everyone.

It is expensive of course but if you can cope with that, you will find it difficult to beat, in a Cessna or whatever.

Good luck

Les
Old 03 March 2006, 11:00 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Which would I prefer, that or a flying licence? ****
Old 03 March 2006, 02:26 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

You need to do at minimum 12 hours in the second year, one hour of which must be with a destructor for the automatic renewl. If you let it lapse or don't do the hours etc. I think you may have to do the GFT again - not sure.

If you've got the stomach for it, have a go at aerobatics.
Old 03 March 2006, 03:35 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^
You need to do at minimum 12 hours in the second year, one hour of which must be with a destructor for the automatic renewl. If you let it lapse or don't do the hours etc. I think you may have to do the GFT again - not sure.

If you've got the stomach for it, have a go at aerobatics.
Really? It was only 5 hours when I had mine, but that was in 1987.

GFT you would definitely have to redo, and also the ground exams after a certain number of years - again I am talking about the rules nearly twenty years ago