Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Compulsory by law child booster seats

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2006, 01:00 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eleven seems absolutely ludicrous if this is true. Six or seven maybe, at a push.
Old 01 March 2006, 01:06 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Mothercare supports this move
Yeah, funny that

Pain in the **** then.
Old 01 March 2006, 01:09 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

You have to admit though that some parents need shooting as they let their kids roam the car with no restraints at all!
...hence, sadly a law is brought in to protect those kids whose parents have zero common sense or consideration for their wellbeing...

Just an idea ?
Old 01 March 2006, 01:17 PM
Philip Attaway
Scooby Regular

Location: RS6 heaven. 505/445 Scooby Eater (whilst watching TV)

At the end of the day seatbelts were designed for adults, not children.

The cross belt should go across the body, not in a childs neck or face. A booster seat resolves this.

The problem I see is kids that have not been in a childseat for years will cause a lot of fuss when now they have to sit in a booster!

Phil
Old 01 March 2006, 01:21 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm off to buy shares in mothercare!
Old 01 March 2006, 01:22 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Another law that will go un-enforced. How often do you see kids in a car that are not restrained at all, kids on the knee of somebody in the front, somebody driving while holding a mobile, cyclists at night with no lights or riding through red traffic lights??
Old 01 March 2006, 01:23 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by **************
I wonder if Prodrive will do a Subaru version:

http://www.mothercare.com/invt/la019...ts,carboosters

http://www.recarochildseats.com/ - IIRC there are other seats with better protection...
Old 01 March 2006, 01:40 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie
...hence, sadly a law is brought in to protect those kids whose parents have zero common sense or consideration for their wellbeing...

Just an idea ?
Yeah maybe a liscence to breed might be a better idea for some people !

And how is this law going to be enforced - by a static camera possible?? Cos I dont see that many police cars on these days !

How will this effect those people over 11 and under 5 foot tall, Will they need a booster cushion (girl at work is 4 10 !!)

Richard
Old 01 March 2006, 01:44 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Wink

I suppose they'll frown upon cramming 7 of her mates into the car to get them to maccyD's for her birthday
Old 01 March 2006, 01:49 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

And if you have two kids and one adult drops off and another (spouse / nanny) picks up, then you will need four seats

Age is absolute, so anyone over 12, whatever their height, will not require a child seat.

Surely the point is that a programme of education followed by actual enforcement of the current laws would be adequate.

Oh BTW, whats the best method of proving your children's age? ID card of course
Old 01 March 2006, 05:44 PM
Sport160
Scooby Regular

I must be being really dim here, whats the problem, just put the kid on a booster seat !!

The government's "experts" recon its safer, unless any of us work in that specific arena and can prove otherwise, why take the risk, they cost **** all compared to your childs life.

Its a shame the government have to legislate, but is isn't difficult to see why they have to !!!
Old 01 March 2006, 06:18 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

My 10 yr old is happy to use his booster seat so he can scrounge rides at the Nurburgring

Old 01 March 2006, 06:56 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Sport160
I must be being really dim here, whats the problem, just put the kid on a booster seat !!

The government's "experts" recon its safer, unless any of us work in that specific arena and can prove otherwise, why take the risk, they cost **** all compared to your childs life.

Its a shame the government have to legislate, but is isn't difficult to see why they have to !!!
Do you have kids? Sensible parents know when such a device is required... Parents who don't care will not be influenced by yet another law. How many people take note of the law against using mobiles whilst driving...? - only those who are sensible anyway - they can tut-tut at those they see using them...

Booster seats are wider than a childs bottom! - and have hard edges - if you have 3 kids 3 booster seats will not fit across the back of a 'normal' car - If 2 kids are under 11 and are legally required to use booster seats the 3rd one gets hard edge boosters digging into them, and less space to sit in.

took me 5 seconds to come up with that one... Bet there are loads more potential problems that will ocurr in some families...

it is a shame since we are going towards a European federation that we have to accept alll their nit-picking harmonising laws... and that our government doe sfell it has to legislate on every tiny little thing even when there are other laws in place covering the same situations.

Mick
Old 01 March 2006, 10:36 PM
Sport160
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mick
Do you have kids? Sensible parents know when such a device is required... Parents who don't care will not be influenced by yet another law. How many people take note of the law against using mobiles whilst driving...? - only those who are sensible anyway - they can tut-tut at those they see using them...

Booster seats are wider than a childs bottom! - and have hard edges - if you have 3 kids 3 booster seats will not fit across the back of a 'normal' car - If 2 kids are under 11 and are legally required to use booster seats the 3rd one gets hard edge boosters digging into them, and less space to sit in.

took me 5 seconds to come up with that one... Bet there are loads more potential problems that will ocurr in some families...

it is a shame since we are going towards a European federation that we have to accept alll their nit-picking harmonising laws... and that our government doe sfell it has to legislate on every tiny little thing even when there are other laws in place covering the same situations.

Mick
Mick

Yes I do, but only 2 of them, so their backsides fit quite happily in the back of a scooby

Sorry but struggling with the "sensible parents" bit here. If your kid is safer in a booster seat then use one period (IHMO). If you've got 3 kids and can't fit them in, get smaller booster seats or buy a bigger car, don't compromise on the kids safety (again IMHO).

I guess I'm lucky, my kids prefer the height advantage the booster seat gives and therefore use them out of choice.
Old 02 March 2006, 01:17 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

Yes... agreed - but if you kid is fine with your particular car setup and seat belt configuration BUT under 11 years old - why make them sit on a booster seat beacause some eeejit in parliment decrees that they should...

How has it been decided that my child, in my car, is 'safer' by sitting on a plastic box? by someone I've never met, doesn't know me, my kids or my car...

Another example - motorcyle crash helmets - more accidents occur because riders are severely limited in their vision and hearing and thus awareness of the surrounding traffic. Neck are broken because of the additional weight of the helmet... But we have to wear one whether or not we want to...

Cycle crash helmets... Australia brought in compulsion to wear helmets... injuries reduced by 75%! - marvelous... Unfortunately the cycling population decreased by 75% too due to general populous being less enamoured with being out in the fresh air with a bonce bin stuck on their sweaty heads...

Mick
Old 02 March 2006, 06:47 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

OK guys, time for me to chip in here.

I did an engineering degree. In my final year I did a design project on integrated child restraint systems. The project was set and marked by Prof (then Dr.) Murray Mackay, one of the leading car safety experts in the UK, and probably the world.

He is currenly Professor Emeritus of Transport Safety at the University of Birmingham, President of the International Research Council on the Biomechanics of Impact, on the parliamentary committee for road safety etc. What this means is that I had access to all the best papers on child safety, accident report, biomechanical data etc. In short, I know what I'm talking about.

A lap & shoulder belt can cause serious injury to children if they are not using a booster seat. Why? Well in short, the lap/shoulder belt does not locate properly on the torsos of children below a certain height. The lap part of the belt should locate on the pelvic girdle. However as children's legs are shorter they often slide forward in the seat to make it more comfortable. The result is in a accident the child "submarines" and the lap belt locates under the rib cage and causes a lot of soft tissue damage to internal organs. A lap/shoulder belt is better than no belt at all, but it is far from ideal.

A booster seat raises up the child so that the lap part of the best locates across the pelvic girdle as it is supposed to do, and also locates the shoulder part of the belt better too.

Many people are not aware of this, but the fact is that a lap/shoulder belt without a booster seat can do serious damage to your child in the event of an accident, possibly life theatening injury.

Even an expensive booster seat costs half as much as a tank of fuel. It's a no-brainer surely!

Making it compulsory in law will prove to be a major headache to some people, like those who infrequently have children in their cars (grandparents maybe, taxis etc). However it will protect many thousands of children each year and will probably save lives.
Old 02 March 2006, 06:55 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i have 3 kids, all sit on boosters. Eldest could get away with not using one...maybe, but why bother? hardly a big deal to make them use one.

and if you have 3 and cant fit them in a normal car...but an MPV (or stop having kids at 2)
Old 02 March 2006, 07:20 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Frorm BBC site

Children under 4ft 5in (1.35m) tall could soon have to use a proper child restraint and booster seat in the car or risk a fine for the driver.

That seems sensible... Age limit - definately not!
Old 02 March 2006, 11:20 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Originally Posted by **************
I wonder if Prodrive will do a Subaru version:

http://www.mothercare.com/invt/la019...ts,carboosters

Well I wouldn't be without my Recaro.

It is nice & comfy & stops me falling down the footwell

Mark
Old 02 March 2006, 11:45 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mick
Frorm BBC site

Children under 4ft 5in (1.35m) tall could soon have to use a proper child restraint and booster seat in the car or risk a fine for the driver.

That seems sensible... Age limit - definately not!
Shows what a **** the original proposal was with an age limit. My son is 7 and he's already that height.
Old 12 March 2006, 09:21 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Wink

On this topic, from here... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m.../03/do0301.xml

Funny snipet...
Like most of us, I chuckled away at Craig Brown's column on Tuesday - brilliant, even by his standards - in which he imagined letters written to the newspapers, 10 years hence, by the likes of Lord Blair of Great Ham and Baroness Jowell of Boreham. "Further to your recent correspondence," wrote Lord Blair, "I welcome proposals by the Government to place a CCTV camera in every household fridge. How else are we to stop the forward march of clinical obesity? The innocent have nothing to fear…"
Old 12 March 2006, 09:43 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

I partially agree with this move. It should be judged on height not age.

But seabelts werent specifically designed for children and I even belive kiddie dummies in crash tests are sat in a booster seat.

I dont see why any parent should be upset about having to put their 7yr old in a child seat especially on a basis that it looks uncool. The kids 7 no one cares and hopefully every 7 year old will have to do the same. In england hardly any kids wear seat belts but in the rest of europe especially scandinavian countries and germany kids have booster seats and it reflects in statistics that they do save lives and prevent serious injuries.

Quick Reply: Compulsory by law child booster seats