Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Telephone Preference Service

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2006, 06:05 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Telephone Preference Service

I am registered, but still getting cold calls. Have been registered for over 3 years, so can't understand why suddenly we're getting them.

Guy from Bowater rang up tonight, apparently not selling anything. I told him we're registered with the TPS and he says that's impossible because he'd get a recorded message to tell him we are. Then he tells me to contact BT.

I hate cold calls, hence the reason for registering with them. Can a registration lapse?

If not, I'd love to grass some of these organisations up If I wanted fascias, conservatories and windows, I'd bloody well ring up a company and get them out to quote!

TIA
Clare
Old 27 February 2006, 06:41 PM
Scooby_Dee
Scooby Regular

Location: Stuck behind that damn tractor or caravan on a B road!

We're registered with it too and still get the occasional call. My neighbour used to work for a double glazing company and she said that there are ways to get around TPS.

You could do what I used to do and lie. If they're selling double glazing tell them you live in a rented house, if they're trying to get you to take out a loan say you're going bankrupt etc, it's a bit naughty I know but they soon lose interest.
Old 27 February 2006, 06:45 PM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
I am registered, but still getting cold calls. Have been registered for over 3 years, so can't understand why suddenly we're getting them.

Guy from Bowater rang up tonight, apparently not selling anything. I told him we're registered with the TPS and he says that's impossible because he'd get a recorded message to tell him we are. Then he tells me to contact BT.

I hate cold calls, hence the reason for registering with them. Can a registration lapse?

If not, I'd love to grass some of these organisations up If I wanted fascias, conservatories and windows, I'd bloody well ring up a company and get them out to quote!

TIA
Clare
The fact that he told you to contact BT makes me think he was just making it up. What's it to do with them? So maybe they hadn't screened their list and he was just lying to cover it up.

TPS doesnt apply to overseas callers though. I still get a few from outside the UK.
Old 27 February 2006, 06:51 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Why tell them anything? You can just hang up, cold callers rarely phone back. No need to waste time and effort lying, just cut them off.
Old 27 February 2006, 07:03 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

I still get the odd call...leave them on hold whilst I "answer the door". If they waste my time, I will waste theirs!
Old 27 February 2006, 07:20 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

A recorded message to say that you're registered with the TPS sounds like crappy sales horse cack of the highest order. Report Bowater to the TPS and see what happens.
Old 27 February 2006, 08:32 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

if you are registered then they are not screening their lists......theres no "getting round" tps, its just whether comps screen their numbers or not.

i have no time for the "wind them up" approach some adopt but if you are TPS registered then simply hang up as soon as it clear its a sales call.
Old 27 February 2006, 08:39 PM
ben44
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CupraT
I still get the odd call...leave them on hold whilst I "answer the door". If they waste my time, I will waste theirs!
Good approach. Failing that, tell 'em to **** off
Old 27 February 2006, 09:40 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I registered one with them online and not a lot happened. Registered again and I've not had a cold call in nearly a year (touch wood).

M
Old 27 February 2006, 10:08 PM
Nicci
Scooby Senior

Clare, maybe Northants is a cold call hotspot right now.

I started getting cold calls towards the end of last week, peaking at 5 on Saturday!
All are for the person who previously lived at my place (which was at least 5 months ago).
Old 27 February 2006, 11:55 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Cant believe it. Got some Indian woman ringing me at 9:30pm just now.. 9:30 PM !!!!! unbelivable!! I was cooking some food and told her i couldnt talk then she started banging on about whether i was going to have vegetables or not...WTF!! I couldnt believe what i was hearing..I told her to pi$$ off and hung up..Cheeky buggers need a good slap if you ask me..Unsolicited crap!!!