Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Long shot but you never know - Cirencester

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2006, 12:33 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long shot but you never know - Cirencester

Looking to go for a meal in Cirencester with a few friends. Don't know the place all that well, used to frequent Giannis occasionally but apparantly it's gone!.

Can anyone recommend a good restaurant, budgeting £20-30 per head for two courses.

Last edited by MattW; 21 February 2006 at 12:35 PM. Reason: missed pace in "Long shot"
Old 21 February 2006, 12:36 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

This member lives in Cirencester IIRC... Nice bloke should know a few places

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/member.ph...oster&t=347174
Old 21 February 2006, 12:39 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Close, but I'm closer

Thanks for reply though
Old 21 February 2006, 12:46 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

No, I do know Jon from a couple of years back and he told me Cirencester is where he lives might have moved but if he has he should know Cirencester still
Old 21 February 2006, 12:58 PM
Jon_Murgie
Scooby Regular

lol, I live in Cheltenham... very close to Ciren! I do, however, know of a fantastic place for a meal out, called the Polo Canteen. They have a website here http://www.polocanteen.co.uk though I can't get to it right now. We had our wedding receiption there a couple of years ago and have been back since as it's really very nice.

I have a mate who does live in Cirencester so I'll ask him for some other recomendations and get back to you
Old 21 February 2006, 01:00 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Cheers Jon (and Dave)

I heard the Polo Canteen was good but maybe a little pricey, more of a special occasion place.??
Old 21 February 2006, 01:02 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Yo Matt, Ciren is my stamping ground since Swindon is far too common.

Dunno what sort of food you're after but here's a few suggestions.

Pizza Express is nice, it's nothing like a Pizza Hut - much more upmarket.

Pizza Express
28, Castle St, Cirencester, Gloucestershire GL7 1QH
Tel: 01285 655655

Also can highly recommend the Thai Emerald, I went there for my birthday last year. Some dishes can be a bit pricey, and it's always very busy so book a table. It's a proper restaurant too, rather than a takeaway with a few tables inside. Food is amazing there.

Thai Emerald Restaurant
60, St. Georges Place, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire GL50 3PN
Tel: 01242 522004

The Colesbourne Inn (on the old road out of Ciren towards Cheltenham) also do some rather good meals. A level above normal pub food, and hence more expensive.

The Colesbourne Inn
Colesbourne, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire GL53 9NP
Tel: 01242 870376

The Polo Canteen is supposed to be pretty good but is very expensive, I'v enot been in there myself.

Polo Canteen
29, Sheep St, Cirencester, Gloucestershire GL7 1QW
Tel: 01285 650977

Edit: Of those i'd recommend the Thai Emerald.
Old 21 February 2006, 01:08 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

But the Thai Emerald is in Cheltenham, not Cirencester

Is good though. Nice takeaways too

Sorry can't be of any more assistance than that though. Been to Cirencester in the day a few times but never for a meal out. Lots of nice pubs though.
Old 21 February 2006, 01:09 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
Yo Matt, Ciren is my stamping ground since Swindon is far too common.

Dunno what sort of food you're after but here's a few suggestions.

Pizza Express is nice, it's nothing like a Pizza Hut - much more upmarket.

Pizza Express
28, Castle St, Cirencester, Gloucestershire GL7 1QH
Tel: 01285 655655

Also can highly recommend the Thai Emerald, I went there for my birthday last year. Some dishes can be a bit pricey, and it's always very busy so book a table. It's a proper restaurant too, rather than a takeaway with a few tables inside. Food is amazing there.

Thai Emerald Restaurant
60, St. Georges Place, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire GL50 3PN
Tel: 01242 522004

The Colesbourne Inn (on the old road out of Ciren towards Cheltenham) also do some rather good meals. A level above normal pub food, and hence more expensive.

The Colesbourne Inn
Colesbourne, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire GL53 9NP
Tel: 01242 870376

The Polo Canteen is supposed to be pretty good but is very expensive, I'v enot been in there myself.

Polo Canteen
29, Sheep St, Cirencester, Gloucestershire GL7 1QW
Tel: 01285 650977

Edit: Of those i'd recommend the Thai Emerald.
Hmmmm ta , so you're not a fan of the Jovial Monk then?

Edited to say - you twonk that's in Cheltenham, however I have heard there is a good Thai restaurant in Ciren, same name?
Old 21 February 2006, 01:31 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Hmm, I quoted the wrong one.

The thai place I'm on about is in Ciren, just round the corner from the Crown Inn (in the centre of Ciren) - quite near Pizza Express. I'm 99% sure it's called the Thai Emerald too, but I can't find it in Yell.co.uk.

I'll try and find out exactly what it's called....

In my defence I was bladdered on free cocktails last time I was there.
Old 21 February 2006, 01:40 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Hello! I live in Cirencester so I'll try to help out if I can.

If you're looking for a nice meal out, I would recommend one of the following:

If you're looking for good quality Indian food, I'd suggest the Rajdoot. It's right in the centre, with close parking and serves VERY nice food and has excellent service.

If you're after a good Chinese, you can't go far wrong with Tatyans which is just opposite the Rajdoot. You'll probably need to book but the food is excellent and the ambiance is VERY enjoyable.

Gianni's is still going strong and is well worth a visit if you're after a nice Italian meal or a LUSH steak!

If Pizza is your thing, avoid Pizza Express and head over the road to La Dolce Vita. It's an authentic Italian pizza house, owned by a friend of mine who is as Italian as they come. Proper stone oven and - according to most who visit - the best pizza available anywhere! Real authentic Italian produce and hand made dough made fresh onsite every morning etc.

If you're looking for something a bit upmarket, then Restaurant 1651 at the Fleece Hotel in the market place is well worth a visit, alternatively, Jesse Smith's Restaurant is a good choice, right by the abbey. The Polo Canteen is nice for snacks and meals too.

Finally - if you're after good, pub food, The Bakers Arms in Somerford Keynes (3 miles from Cirencester) or the Greyhound in Siddington (2 miles from Ciren centre are worth a visit.

With your budget, I'd recommed Jesse Smith's or 1651 as good choices. If none of that takes your fancy, there's always McDonalds or Greasy Joes (home of the world famous Murder Burger - see my previous posts!).

Hope this helps!
Old 21 February 2006, 02:06 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Fantastic - One thing though, my wife rang up giannis a couple of weeks back and was told its no longer Giannis ??
Old 21 February 2006, 02:20 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Cheers mad_dr , i'll make a point of going to those places.

What's the thai place called in the centre then? I just rang my friends and they thought it was called Thai Emerald too.

I just found out 'Madeleines' (wine/cocktails place) has changed hands and is now called something else, gutted as I used to go there quite often.
Old 21 February 2006, 02:53 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Jon_Murgie
lol, I live in Cheltenham... very close to Ciren
lol suppose that makes me close but still wrong
Old 21 February 2006, 02:54 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Mad_Dr - you didn't mention the Thai?? Been there a couple of times and it's excellent
Old 21 February 2006, 04:17 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
Mad_Dr - you didn't mention the Thai?? Been there a couple of times and it's excellent
It is called the Thai Emerald - never been there myself - not a big Thai fan (except the boxing!) but I've heard it's supposed to be good. It's right on Castle St, next to the Raj - Raj is number 35 and the Emerald is number 36.

Giannis is going through the process of changing it's name (and may well have done so now) but when it gets taken over by the new owners (which may have happened), it's going to be all upmarket and Haute Cuisine (read: tiny portions and fussy food!)

I'll call my friend (who owns the Dolce Vita and - until the end of last year, owned the Giannis restaurant you used to know) and ask him.
Old 21 February 2006, 04:20 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mad_dr

I'll call my friend (who owns the Dolce Vita and - until the end of last year, owned the Giannis restaurant you used to know) and ask him.

That would be great, be interested to know what his menu is like (Steak Rossini mmmmmmm) as i used to enjoy Giannis, great atmosphere, good food, reasonable prices.
Old 21 February 2006, 04:27 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
I just found out 'Madeleines' (wine/cocktails place) has changed hands and is now called something else, gutted as I used to go there quite often.
Not to be confused with the pub opposite the Rajdoot, called Somewhere Else.

You're right though - it has changed hands recently although I'm not sure what it's called now - it's always been too expensive for me: £2.95 for a pint at the Crown is plenty expensive enough thanks! Even a pint of coke is £2.60 which is just daylight robbery!

The Crown does good food too actually. Nice atmosphere although it gets PACKED on a Friday and Saturday evening. I think they serve food all day until around 8pm IIRC. It's kind of upper-class pub food. Around £7 - £10 per course.
Old 22 February 2006, 10:07 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Cheers mad_dr, I thought it was the Thai Emerald but I couldn't find any mention of it on yell.co.uk.

Lovely place though, they do a really nice baked snapper with chillies wrapped in banana leaves, and pineapple rice served in a hollowed out pineapple. The wood carvings on the walls in there are amazing too.

I'll try some of those other places out too.