Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

overcharged by credit card company - can i claim anything ?

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2006, 10:34 AM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overcharged by credit card company - can i claim anything ?

right i had 3k ish on a credit card and ive gradually been paying it off

now last month my statement says i have £100 outstanding to pay so i send a transfer from my bank of £100

now the thieving gits have also taken my minumum payment money 10 days later by monthly direct debit.

so now im in credit for the amount of my minimum payment !!

so apart from ringing up and asking for my money back is there anything else i can claim for ?? obviously its a breach of contract on thier behalf as it states clearly on my statement that 'refunds and credits will not count towards your minmum payment unless they pay off your balance in full. which i had payed off the balance in full, 10 days before they took my minimum payment.
Old 21 February 2006, 10:59 AM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rgv_stu
right i had 3k ish on a credit card and ive gradually been paying it off

now last month my statement says i have £100 outstanding to pay so i send a transfer from my bank of £100

now the thieving gits have also taken my minumum payment money 10 days later by monthly direct debit.

so now im in credit for the amount of my minimum payment !!

so apart from ringing up and asking for my money back is there anything else i can claim for ?? obviously its a breach of contract on thier behalf as it states clearly on my statement that 'refunds and credits will not count towards your minmum payment unless they pay off your balance in full. which i had payed off the balance in full, 10 days before they took my minimum payment.
Follow the example set by just about every money lending organisation on the planet: Charge them an admin fee!

Send them a bill for £35 to cover your administration costs...
Old 21 February 2006, 11:42 AM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

anyone got a copy of what they would stick in a letter ??
Old 21 February 2006, 11:44 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

which card is it?
Old 21 February 2006, 11:46 AM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

they always will do that due to the fact that the minimum payment collection is processed on the bill generation date.

I've had it happen before many times, why dont you just go buy something with the credit you have.

You could write a letter but if you delve deep into the t&c's you'll probably find that you have signed for them to be able to do that

so why waste your time
Old 21 February 2006, 11:54 AM
ODB
Scooby Regular

If the amount was taken by Direct Debit ask your bank to do an indemity claim against the Credit Card company, you will get your money back (as the bank refunds you and then chases the Credit card company seperately). The only downside is if the Credit Card company decide to chase you over it, this is dependant on the Terms and conditions really.

An indemity claim will only work if the money was taken by Direct Debit.
Old 21 February 2006, 12:11 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

That reminds me..
About a year ago I noticed Egg taking Payment protection cover on my credit card every month. I rang up and asked it to be stopped as I didn't want it. (it was roughly £50 a month.
It's set up to make minimum payment by direct debit and I never use the card so just left it to pay off.
However I decided to have a look last month to see if I could start bunging some more money at it to get it paid off. I noticed the payent protection still being taken
and the debt had hardly reduced at all.. minimum payment being 60 quid and the payment protection being 50
Fair enough, I rang them up and within three days they refunded 13 payments equal to that of all the payment protection made.
However.... what about the bloody interest. Do I have a right to ask for that back too.
God knows how to work out how much that would be.
Infact! not only the interest but if payment protection was not added on each month how much lower would my debt be considering there would be less capital to base the interest on...

Andy

Trending Topics

Old 21 February 2006, 12:29 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

mine is on direct debit and its with virgin /mbna
the minimum payment was only £5 but it just annoys me they have taken money which was not needed to be taken.
surely this is a breach of contract.
im very tempted to write a letter with an admin fee charge
although you can pretty much gaurentee they wont pay
Old 21 February 2006, 12:37 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

by the way Stu, got a letter from MBNA today saying interest on something was going up to 3%... that sounds a lot (as of 1st April) moving my money out to two 0% cards today, theiving buggers anyway.

Andy