Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

British Gas raises prices by 22%!!!

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2006, 03:37 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down British Gas raises prices by 22%!!!

The sh*t's hit the fan now alright.

I don't use them myself, but now long before the others follow suit.

If that doesn't trigger a recession in this country I'll be amazed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4723648.stm
Old 17 February 2006, 03:40 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F*CKERS !!!!!!!
Old 17 February 2006, 03:41 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

disgusting. Gas costs me a friggin fortune as it is... £200 a quarter at the moment. good job summer is coming, Turn the damn heating off...lol
Old 17 February 2006, 03:44 PM
Moonloops
Scooby Regular

What's blue and f*cks pensioners - British Gas*..

*Alternative answer = Me in my lucky blue coat
Old 17 February 2006, 03:58 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What amazing difference 60 mile makes ( me from the continent ) ...
we get screwed over left right an centre in this country..
Old 17 February 2006, 03:59 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Already paying 70 quid a month, kids are going to have to get new jumpers next Christmas.
Old 17 February 2006, 04:09 PM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Chaps you need to understand that Gas/Electric prices to buy from abroad were increased several months ago however British Gas has not reflected this untill now

Also you will find all the other Companies will increase their prices as they have to pay more to buy their supply too !
Old 17 February 2006, 04:13 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Q&A

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4684886.stm
Old 17 February 2006, 04:14 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Even at £20/week for my gas and leccy its still not bad if you think it heats the house, the water etc and powers everything from the kettle to lawnmower.

Maybe it will encourage a few more people to be energy concious.

Chip
Old 17 February 2006, 04:22 PM
Moonloops
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Even at £20/week for my gas and leccy its still not bad if you think it heats the house, the water etc and powers everything from the kettle to lawnmower.

Maybe it will encourage a few more people to be energy concious.

Chip
*nawp* - turns heating up
Old 17 February 2006, 05:23 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

And remember we have a lot of gas powered power stations in the UK, so expect 10-20% hike in electricity bills too....

This is on top of petrol prices which are slowely increasing, my local station is charging 91.9p for unleaded now - creaping up all the time

The most worrying thing is that these prices arent a blip, the only way is up from here on
Old 17 February 2006, 06:15 PM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

Well for once I think we're one of the better off for gas and electric prices in Europe.

British Gas have just had a 70% hike in the cost to them and the EU is going to look into unfair practices of the continental suppliers. It is a big price hike but it's not too surprising all things considered. All the other UK retailers will follow suit shortly I should think.
Old 17 February 2006, 06:42 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Bring back coal.

Arthur was right, Maggie's dash for gas in power generation is now costing us a fortune.

Cheers
Lee
Old 14 April 2006, 12:20 AM
Jes
Scooby Regular

Default Gas heating costs

I wrote recently that British Gas had told me that I have an old boiler (Potterton kingfisher RS80) for which spare parts will not be available in the near future and I should think of having a new boiler installed. I have a home care contract with them. Mog replied that spare parts for this boiler will be available and that BG are just trying to drum up business. I concur with Mog on this and decided to wait before rushing to change the boiler. BG recently sent me a questionaire and based on my answers they have send me a breakdown on my heating costs and pointed out that I can save nearly 40% if I have a new condensing boiler, TRVs etc. The rationale being that old boilers are inefficient and new ones are more efficient etc. My space heating and water heating costs are approx. £1300/year. According to BG I could save nearly £500 - a hefty sum - by installing new boiler and some of the other things. Is this true? has anyone any thoughts on this. I suppose It must be true that new boilers are more efficient - hence savings. The question is, is it as much as BG are making out or are they just encourqing me to give them business! Look forward to your views or experiences Jes
Old 14 April 2006, 12:35 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

If it keeps up like this, I wonder if running off bottled gas may end up being cheaper than mains gas (boilers are more efficient on Propane).
Old 14 April 2006, 08:30 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Why blame British Gas ? It all about supply and demand, this country no longer is a gas exporter and the price you pay is a reflection of this. Why would they as a business want to supply an end user cheaper they can sell into the traded market for ? If your not happy with them vote with your feet.

As for coal it is back, a number of powerstations have switched over the winter period from gas to coal.

Last edited by Scooby-Doo; 14 April 2006 at 08:32 AM.
Old 14 April 2006, 09:57 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by logiclee
Bring back coal.
Let's bring back Scargill as well shall we. Just think of all those romantic candlelit dinners you could be having again like we did 25 years ago.

And all the pollution that goes with it would be great wouldnt it

Chip
Old 14 April 2006, 09:59 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

We are getting stiffed by the exporters seeing as they can get away with it, perhaps we could impose higher prices on our exports to persuade them to keep their prices down, oh ****, we dont actually export anything anymore !
Old 14 April 2006, 10:47 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Let's bring back Scargill as well shall we. Just think of all those romantic candlelit dinners you could be having again like we did 25 years ago.

And all the pollution that goes with it would be great wouldnt it

Chip
Errr....
Technology has moved on a bit since the 70's.

A third of the UK's energy demand is still met by coal burn, unfortunately the vast majority is supplied by expensive foriegn imports.
De-sulphurisation plants have existed for years and the new proposed Hatfield powerstation will pump it's CO2 back out to sea to fill the empty North Sea gas/oil fields.

The lights may be going out again soon but I expect it will have more to do with the lack of investment rather than any industrial unrest. The UK's power industry is the cheapest and most productive (Gas and Coal) in Europe, just not much of it left.

We may wish to lower our emissions but just think of the emerging economies like China, they have no clean burn technology and this year alone will burn 1.3 Billion tons of coal.

Cheers
Lee
Old 08 February 2007, 04:14 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Update

British Gas cuts prices | News_ | Guardian Unlimited Money
Old 08 February 2007, 04:23 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

I hate it when someone digs up an old post from years back. I think I'm reading something recent..

Old 08 February 2007, 04:31 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Nice they have come back down again though Still up on where they were before the massive hike, but it's an improvement.
Old 08 February 2007, 04:59 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

not really. The prices are capped, not fixed. If price goes down, so do payments. They just don't go up to mad levels
Old 08 February 2007, 05:03 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Im pretty sure i just heard on the radio today that British Gas are lowering prices after March ? ? ?
Old 08 February 2007, 05:08 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoob_babe
not really. The prices are capped, not fixed. If price goes down, so do payments. They just don't go up to mad levels
Well according to the Gas industry expert just on Radio 5, the prices are fixed not capped!

Going to be some annoyed customers out there.
Old 08 February 2007, 05:46 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
You know Brendan, some people might think you only dug this one up to make UB look, at best, somewhat sensationalist

But I'm sure thats not the case here

For sure, in the absence of his forecast recession, Robin is no doubt somewhat "amazed"

Last edited by ///\oo/\\\; 08 February 2007 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08 February 2007, 05:59 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
It was obvious that in the short-medium term gas prices would come down again a fair bit with the new pipelines and fields coming on line this year.

BG saw that people were panicking when they increased prices a few times when gas prices went up steeply (in the short term) and saw an opportunity to exploit people with fixed prices when they themselves knew they would shortly be falling again.
In retrospect, maybe. The interconnector was supposed to open up the UK market to competition but that scenario didn't exist during the winter of 2006/07 so quite where you've got the idea that new pipelines would operate as planned this winter, I don't know. What did happen was the milder than usual winter (up until this point) which had a deflating effect on prices, however, most companies had hedged by buying forward last summer at prices higher than current so they have been forced to hold on to margin. Now wholesale prices have reduced, they are in a position to pass this on to customers.

Last winter I offered plenty of customers the opportunity to hedge over the winter period. Some took the deals and did well. Others didn't and then bitterly complained when prices went throught the roof and demanded to be let into positions that were then closed. This winter they all took hedged positions and will probably come out of it no worse than if they'd gone with the market but they certainly won't be making any huge savings.

There's no exploitation here. You either go with a fixed price or take your chances with the market and with the BG deals there is the opportunity to get out of the rate by paying a redemption penalty.

Quick Reply: British Gas raises prices by 22%!!!