Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Registering UK Cars in Spain

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2006, 08:15 PM
andymar00
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Registering UK Cars in Spain

Has anyone experiance of taking a car to spain permenantly and registering on spanish plates.

I have an old pajero (jap import currently on UK Plates)which i'm giving to a mate whose moving to spain but he's been told it can't be registered in spain because it's a Jap import

Can't see why this would be but it's possible

Andy
Old 16 February 2006, 09:18 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

You do know what Pajero means in Spanish, dont you
Old 16 February 2006, 10:16 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

If your mate maintains a UK address e.g. parents, then there is no need to re-register the car in Spain... same story for driving license!

I'm very sure about this after being asked by a German border guard (entering from Switzerland) why I still had UK reg car and driving licence despite living in Germany for 6 years, I told him I didn't need to change them! He took my passport and driving license and dissapeared for 10 minutes, then came back all sulky and and sent me on my way! Dontca just love the EC

If he's not got the option of a UK address, then he should be able to re-register the car in Spain provided he makes any modifications to conform to the local rules, usually just changing headlights, but could have to sort speedo to km's and maybe emissions etc. I know a few people who've imported from the US to Germany, its always possible, but varies in cost depending on how non-EC-standard the car is.

My sister lives in Spain and by all accounts there is very little difference in the beuaracratic procedures between Spain and Germany, the only difference is the Spanish are more friendly and less efficient!