Divorce - HELPP

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2006, 10:20 AM
Southern Guy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Divorce - HELPP

Guys getting conflicting stories from the ex wife to be:

We split nearly 2 years ago for the two year seperation thing so i guess we can get a cheapy divorce(no kids etc)

She is still on about solicitors and courts etc, now i know a few people that have been divorced but all they have done is waited the 2 years, walk into a court pay a fee(not much) they give you forms to fill in, you return them to the court and then the dovorce starts without the solicitors fees.

Now with a 2 year seperation both parties must be awnting to divorce, so that means it is an uncontested divorce, which means everyone is happy just to split and that be the end of it. If one of the parties suddenly say want a settlement the other party can refuse to divorce using the 2 year seperation way of divorcing.

I just want it pointing out to me, because all the website seem to indicate that i would be right in wanting a cheap divorce and i am sure the soon to be ex wants that too, in the 2 year seperation no contest divorce...

HELPPPP!
Old 16 February 2006, 10:24 AM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Do whatever you can to avoid Solicitors. Bloodsucking lot. They made what was a fairly amicable divorce into a bloodbath for me. And cost me a fortune into the bargain. They will make a meal of it.
Yve
Old 16 February 2006, 10:28 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

It has to be 5 years separated before you can force through a divorce on the living apart grounds. After 2 years you can do it if it's uncontested. Is that what you're asking?
Old 16 February 2006, 10:28 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

quick way....

amicable (unlikley but)

go down to your local law courts, and get the forms for filing for divorce, fill in the form, pay the fee, do the swearing bit, and job done.

the normal route.

unfortuantly if you cant come to an amicable agreement on who gets what etc, you should get a solicitor involved.

the good news is as there are no kids involved, it can be fairly easy, and be done in around 6 weeks

if you have kids, or an other half who wants to play nasty solicitors are the only option.

there are a few legalitys, house, loans, etc that may need sorting.

Mart
Old 16 February 2006, 10:30 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apparition
Do whatever you can to avoid Solicitors. Bloodsucking lot. They made what was a fairly amicable divorce into a bloodbath for me. And cost me a fortune into the bargain. They will make a meal of it.
Yve
well if you hadn't started being such a child over splitting the posessions, we could have had it done in 6 weeks

Mart

(speaking from bitter experiance)
Old 16 February 2006, 10:33 AM
Southern Guy
Scooby Regular

no possesions to split, no loans to sort out(as the one i got for the wedding etc, was in my name) i have taken that on the chin, fine... I could try and get some money out of her for the wedding(informed by CAB) but what is the point i just want it over, and hoping she does too! fingers crossed!
Old 16 February 2006, 10:50 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

just go and get the forms,

if non contested, then done by courts, 6 weeks tops...&30? days for the nisi to become absolute...

if contested, then its a court appearance and solicitors will be needed.

Mart
Old 16 February 2006, 10:52 AM
Southern Guy
Scooby Regular

If she wants to Contest it i wont agree to the divorce, she can then wait longer or pay through the nose.
Old 16 February 2006, 11:37 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

A bit mixed up there...

who wants the divorce?? you or her?

if you want it and she contests, then you have two options, go to court, and air your laundry or leave it and wait 5 years of separation then it cant be contested.

If she wants it she wont contest, but if you contest, again it will go to court.

sounds like its not amicable, then solicitors will be the order of the day im afraid.

quick tip comming.

if your heading down the contested route, this is where you,ll find out where your friends are..... loads of my so called friends, all said how awfull she was, and what the,yd do etc. yet whan asked to go to court........ hmmmm

luckily she didnt contest

Mart
Old 16 February 2006, 12:53 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

If there's no kids (mine were grown up) and you agree on money matters whatever the amount then you can do it yourself easy.

I got a £10 kit from Smiths, Sent in the application form with statement of the financial agreement £180 with application. When this sorted needed an affidavit from Solicitor (they have to do this for a fixed £7 fee), waited 6 weeks and sent off for Decree assolute with another £30 fee. Total cost £227 after 28 years. Mind you, she got £220k and a bit of my pension - ouch.