Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

TV Licence for a computer

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2006, 06:39 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TV Licence for a computer

The Register have a story today which implies that if you own a computer capable of receiving vision in any form, which basically means any internet connected computer, then you require a TV licence:

A spokesperson for TV Licensing told the Reg: "If a customer currently has no licence they will need to obtain one to watch live programmes on their PC or mobile. Any device used to watch or record TV programmes as they are being broadcast or otherwise distributed must be covered by a valid licence. This is the case whether you are watching or receiving a programme via a PCTV, mobile phone, PDA or any other device.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02...icence_mobile/

The story as carried in some newspapers specifically mentions "streaming" and so this isn't just directed at PCs with TV cards in them. Now, as I understood it the licence was needed for gear which received TV transmissions from the big sticks on the hills but I have never seen any reference to, basically, an internet capable PC.

Does anyone know what the bottom line on this is? Is anyone without a licence but who owns a computer breaking the law? Is this a law that could ever stand up to examination in court? What about people who might watch a DVD on their computer?
Old 13 February 2006, 06:56 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Capita really are a terrible company arent they? They started out as the Institute of Public Finance but theyve changed beyond all recognition in twenty years.
Old 13 February 2006, 07:18 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Equally interesting would be whether the licence is required for a PC which is used to receive real-time streaming video, or is merely capable of being used for such a purpose.

A TV set requires a licence even if it's only ever used as a display for a computer, games console or similar; it always has, and I can see that it's probably necessary to have such a rule so as to avoid the chorus of "but I don't actually use it for watching TV on".

I'd venture that many offices have no TV (and thus, no TV licence), but plenty of PCs with high speed broadband connections. I think I'd want to see the letter of the law before believing that any office with a PC and a net connection technically needs a TV license, though.
Old 13 February 2006, 07:59 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

The whole crux of there argument used to centre around being able to recieve broadcast transmissions.

back in the days of sky from the original astra sats, many people cottened on and stopped paying the tv licence, argueing that they didnt watch or recieve the bbc broadcasts, hasty legislation ensued, and it was ammended to cover any equipment (not just tv) that was capable of recieving a broadcast transmission,, this way they got you for having a vcr, (it has a tuner onboard)
they also got the sky argument overturned.

now if you have a tuner card in your pc , then fair enough,its a tuner, and current legislation covers them. but if you dont, and you recieve streamed data, then thats a different matter.

Once again it will use its position of power and the paid for govsatapo to enforce its money grabbing scheme.

Mart
Old 13 February 2006, 10:30 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I'm glad that everyone else seems to understand the same stuff I do and seems to be nearly as confused as I am. The example of an office without a TV needing a licence for the computers is a good one that I didn't consider. They seem very determined that any device which can stream vision needs a licence, the Register story headlines on mobile phones, and this would certainly seem to imply a government licence is required for a computer with an internet connection, some of the newspaper reports today specifically mention broadband connections.
Old 13 February 2006, 10:43 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Aha,

but if you use a laptop at work to view (either by a TV card or streaming) a program broadcast or originating or from a company based in the UK, whilst being a valid home licence holder (assuming your premises do not have internal locked doors), so long as you are powering the laptop only via internal batteries - you are OK.

Plug it into the mains to charge the batteries, then you are not!

What a stupid piece of legislation

It costs £200M per year to collect this stupid tax, er, licence - stick a tiny percent on general taxation, sack the whole of the TV licencing merry-go-round, and help bring this country back to common sense!!!

mb
Old 13 February 2006, 11:41 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Your licence covers a premises, so if you watched tv on your phone, plugged into a charger, away from home, you would need another licence of some sort
Old 14 February 2006, 07:31 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Bonkers, isn't it.
Old 14 February 2006, 09:16 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

So chaps, to butt in, would that mean that at the office, where we have a DVD player, flat screen and separate tuner (although no Sky, cable or aerial at all), and we have computers, connected to the net but without a TV card or any capability, we would need a TV licence?

We have the ability to stream TV from the net but we don't as it's makes no difference to our job. But should we have one in this circumstance?

Thanks, Andy
Old 14 February 2006, 09:23 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

wow can you imagine the cost if a company needed a TV licence for its computers!!!!! also would that be one licence per building or one licence per computer? we have thousands of computers in our building all capable of receiving internet broadcasts.!!!!!
Old 14 February 2006, 09:25 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4708170.stm
Old 14 February 2006, 09:29 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boomer
It costs £200M per year to collect this stupid tax, er, licence - stick a tiny percent on general taxation, sack the whole of the TV licencing merry-go-round, and help bring this country back to common sense!!!
Is there anything to do with the independence of the Beeb? If it was from tax it would be (more) at the mercy of the Treasury, no?

Dunno, just an added complication...
Old 14 February 2006, 09:42 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I'd prefer it if the beeb encrypted all their TV & Radio and you had to buy a licence to decrypt it. Then I wouldn't be forced to payout £200+ per year to the BBC to watch non BBC programs.
Old 14 February 2006, 09:47 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Should scrap the Tv licence and put ads on the BBC.

As it is I just download whatever I want to watch now and do so with no ads and can watch it when I choose.
Old 14 February 2006, 09:54 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The whole thing needs a drastic rethink. Traditionally, you have a licence for the Beeb, ads for ITV etc.

Now you have TiVos, HDDs, TV on phones, streaming; ad companies are already crying into their coke lines as people just skip the ads, and there is no feasible way you can get a licence for all of those.

Big upheaval in the media world.

BTW, you may think the Beeb is crap, but try watching other countries' state TV
Old 14 February 2006, 10:17 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
The whole thing needs a drastic rethink. Traditionally, you have a licence for the Beeb, ads for ITV etc.

Now you have TiVos, HDDs, TV on phones, streaming; ad companies are already crying into their coke lines as people just skip the ads, and there is no feasible way you can get a licence for all of those.

Big upheaval in the media world.

BTW, you may think the Beeb is crap, but try watching other countries' state TV
Especially Germanys!!! saying that even Germanys 2 pay channels are ****e aswell!!! infact German TV is ****e full stop
Old 14 February 2006, 01:06 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

This article is very misleading. The current licence clearly states here "If you only use a TV set powered by its own internal batteries, you do not need a separate TV Licence." Therefore if your primary residence is licensed then you do not need an additional licence to watch on a mobile phone. Trying to scare people into purchasing something they don't need.
Old 14 February 2006, 01:19 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*cough*
BBC - independnet?
*cough*

Old 14 February 2006, 06:25 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
*cough*
BBC - independnet?
*cough*

I was thinking that too
Old 14 February 2006, 06:36 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

But isnt there also some restriction about the amount of TV's covered by one licence?

I thought about 5 devices so back to the example of companies for every 5 PC's capable of viewing streamed BBC news you would need one licence!
Old 14 February 2006, 06:43 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

I'd like to see them try and stick that Idea on industry!!

They'd pull out overnight, my company has 5000 ps's in the uk, 4 mainframes and 2 stratus's.
Old 14 February 2006, 06:50 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Like to see the streaming clients for the mainframes
Old 14 February 2006, 07:14 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

There aren't any, but it may be able to pick the file up( Im no expert, I'm just an op following a schedule).

But I doubt they will know the diff between 1 type of comp from another.