Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Water shortages and hose pipe bans

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2006, 04:43 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Usual dilemma of cost vs supply - desalination isn't cheap. Most people expect plentiful water at cheap prices. Well, if it doesn't rain, that's going to have to come to an end. Some doomsdayers reckon fresh water will become a more hotly contested commodity than oil..!
Old 13 February 2006, 04:49 PM
Billbill
Scooby Regular

Cool

Some say we will be snagging icebergs for their quantity of fresh water.
Imagine, iceberg piracy!!
Old 13 February 2006, 04:49 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

There's plenty of water.. the problem is that the companies haven't spent fck all on maintenance and renewal of the pipework for many years so a significant percentage just drains away ....
Old 13 February 2006, 04:52 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Islands are surrounded by sea water, but that doesn't necessarily imply a limitless amount of *fresh* water, does it?

Steve, i was under the impression that much of the pipework had now been replaced...no?
Old 13 February 2006, 04:52 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

About time they started fitting meters in houses so people have an interest in using less water. We've had a meter for 13 years now, and despite having two kids our bills have always been less than the flat rate for the area.

I wonder if the companies have a vested interest in keeping as many people as possible on the flat rate - that way, when there are shortages and they have to tell people to economise, they don't lose any many.

How many people on here are on meters vs still paying a water rate?
Old 13 February 2006, 05:09 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Steve, i was under the impression that much of the pipework had now been replaced...no?
Around 25% of the supply is running away.
This is interesting data btw

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&cd=27
Old 13 February 2006, 05:13 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Tel what I am getting at is there is no reason to tell us we are short of water when all they need to do is to build desalination plants on the coasts and then we have almost an endless supply of water.
They require a vast amount of energy to run. With oil at $60 a barrel how cost effective are they going to be ?
Old 13 February 2006, 05:22 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

We have ban here in Sussex and looking grim for this summer. I suspect desal' is very expensive compared to standard treatment; anyone know?

Also option of piping down from North but also expensive capital investment and energy intensive.

Some storage reservoirs are nearly dry and I wonder why they didn't take the opportunity to put in some big earth moving kit and deepen them to increase storage capacity assuming it will rain hard sometime (bearing in mind huge floods a year or so back).
Old 13 February 2006, 05:31 PM
ChrisB

I'm still paying a flat rate and would rather be metered! That way when I turn my bath cold tap on and no water comes out which is what has happened a few times I can't be charged for water I can't use
I thought you could get a water meter fitted FOC?
Old 13 February 2006, 05:32 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

"Improved technology has led to a drop in the cost of desalinated water from between $1 to $1.50 per cubic metre five years ago, to 70 cents today.

In comparison, the purification of fresh water costs between 25 and 30 cents, excluding the cost of distribution."

======

OK this was just one hit from Google but gives an indication that desalinated is around 3 times more expensive. So a water company could mix it in with the regular supply but the water part of your water bill could easily double.
Old 13 February 2006, 06:10 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Unless I'm told by my water supplier directly, I refuse to acknowledge any hose pipe ban that is enforced (if any).

As I do not read papers, watch TV or have an internet connection

I'm alright, Jack
Old 13 February 2006, 06:40 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Thats because its been privatised and is profit driven and cost cutting is the only thing the companies are interested in.
Since privatisation all water companies in the UK have taken on massive mains renewal schemes. Under privatisation very few renewal schemes were in place for either water mains or sewers. This has changed dramatically since privatisation occured. Just look at how much cleaner the rivers are these days compared to 10-15 years ago. Theres no comparison.

Much of the profit of these companies is reinvested anyway into mains renewal.

Chip
Old 13 February 2006, 07:01 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I would say that the pipes are still pretty bad as the main near my aunties house has been estimated to have lost 30,000 gallon in the last week and they dont know how long its benn leaking for!
Old 13 February 2006, 07:18 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

You can still use power washers though, just use it for washing the car AND watering the garden
Old 13 February 2006, 10:00 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Islands are surrounded by sea water, but that doesn't necessarily imply a limitless amount of *fresh* water, does it?

We have a nice little "spring" in our road. A burst water main that we report on a monthly basis, and have been doing for over 12 months now. They always wait until a rainly day to send out somebody to inspect and so we get a response of "couldn't see any sign of a leak". We aren't the only ones that report it and no doubt this is partly why we have **** poor water pressure despite being half way down a very large hill.
Old 13 February 2006, 10:01 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Who here is affected? I only found out at the weekend that our area is under a ban on hose pipes and only found this out by looking on the website of the water company Its been in place since August last year! And apparently will remain in place until at least 2007 unless we get a massive amount of prolonged rainfall

Isn't it time the water companies started building desalination plants instead of telling us we are desperately short of water even though we live on an island ffs?
Who needs a hose pipe? I have mains 25mm blue pipe running the full length of my garden
Old 13 February 2006, 11:15 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
We have a nice little "spring" in our road. A burst water main that we report on a monthly basis, and have been doing for over 12 months now. They always wait until a rainly day to send out somebody to inspect and so we get a response of "couldn't see any sign of a leak". We aren't the only ones that report it and no doubt this is partly why we have **** poor water pressure despite being half way down a very large hill.
This could just be groundwater which tracks its way down the road in the pipe trench until it finds an outlet upwards. Does it dry up a bit during dry spells?? Just a thought.
Old 13 February 2006, 11:44 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Desal plants are very energy demanding processes - most are found in oil richcountries as a result. Thames Water want to put one in London but are being blocked by Red Ken due to the energy footprint and their track record in dealing with leakage and resoure demand.
Metering may help the householder cut bills, especially in low household sizes/high rateable properties in the SE, but has minor affect on cutting demand.
David - your right about leaks in dry weather . In wet weather leaks cannot get away in wetter soil and so appear at the surface.
Leaks also tend to be worse in the eraly hours of the morning, when demand is low and water pressure is higher, allowing more flow and also opens up pipe holes.

I have a client (paper mill) in the SE who will have to consider recycling used water in the next 2 years if they want to stay in business.
Householders will similarly be affected - yet Prestcott wants to allow unsustainable development for the area without any regard for such issues.

Nick
Old 14 February 2006, 09:45 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Here you go Bob:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...700012,00.html
Old 14 February 2006, 09:51 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
This could just be groundwater which tracks its way down the road in the pipe trench until it finds an outlet upwards. Does it dry up a bit during dry spells?? Just a thought.
Nope it's there all the time.
Old 14 February 2006, 10:10 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Im based in Sussex, enfact I can look out of the window and see the sea, but still cant use my hose. Im metered aswell.

I live on a private estate of nosey neighbours and have been reported twice. Got a letter threatening me with a £5000 fine if I continued. But, late at night, when its raining, I sometimes sneak out and wash the car.

However, there's a work around. Ive got an indoor pool, and the ban doesnt cover filling pools at the moment, so in theory I can pump water from my pool, and use that. Just need to find another medium apart from a hose pipe. How about a couple of lengths of copper pipe ? :-)

SBK
Old 14 February 2006, 10:26 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob, remember my parents walk the dog around Bewl, they're well aware of how empty it is.

As for where I am - I specifically avoided buying a house along one section of seafront as there have been an explosion of 5-10-storey blocks of apartments going up in the last 10 years. They are all new, all have a wonderful sea view, all are a few minutes' walk from the train and the beach - but no-one considered / gave a FF about upgrading the mains water feed did they? So a system designed to feed 10 000 residents now has to feed maybe 50-70 000. As a result, many colleagues who live there tell me that empty cold taps are a common occurance.

The whole country was suffering from massive drought last year, and there's talk of the Spanish desert creeping westwards as a result, probably into Portugal in the next 20 yrs or so. The demand from increasing tourist development, many with swimming pools, and more and more golf courses to irrigate is also unsustainable.

I'd say the main difference is we have happy blue skies and no rain. You have ****e grey skies and no rain. The result is the same but at least we can handle the side-effects
Old 14 February 2006, 10:39 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon K

However, there's a work around. Ive got an indoor pool, and the ban doesnt cover filling pools at the moment, so in theory I can pump water from my pool, and use that. Just need to find another medium apart from a hose pipe. How about a couple of lengths of copper pipe ? :-)

SBK
You could always build a tiny pond with a goldfish in. That's classified as livestock so you can use the hosepipe to top up pond........

DL (Pond Owner from Sussex )

Quick Reply: Water shortages and hose pipe bans