Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The Army and Iraq PR

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2006, 02:59 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Army and Iraq PR

Well done boys, once again showing the world how great our Army is.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/stor...ws/news1.shtml

If you watch the video it really is quite sickening to see 8 huge soldiers beat up small kids about 13 years old!
Old 12 February 2006, 03:44 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Kids seemed a lot more full of themselves when they where throwing rocks at the soldiers.

Not sure just how old the kids are but old enoough to know right from wrong which is also true of the soliders as well!

I also found the commentary most dusturbing the bloke seemed to be getting his rocks off whilst watching the beating.

Not sure i condone it but it is all too easy to easy to criticise the soldiers whilst sat in the comfort of your own home with the biggest worry you have is what to watch after tea.

However it is not a great advert for the British Army and is likely to do little good for East/West relations.

I

Link not working on the NotW site, look on Ogrish - WARNING Ogrish not work safe by any means!

Last edited by The Zohan; 12 February 2006 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12 February 2006, 03:56 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

If some kids set your fence on fire then threw stones and a grenade into your yard - surely you would want to give them a kicking ?

Very hard to judge when you are 000's of miles away - however saying that our boys should show a little more restraint .

Last edited by DanTheMan; 12 February 2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12 February 2006, 04:01 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

They should have offered them some cash and a warm place to live instead, it's the British way. Now, if they were working instead of just starting trouble, chop their heads off and put the video on the internet.
Old 12 February 2006, 04:05 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

very disturbing and these so caled soldiers deserve everything thats coming to them,but in publishing these photos the media puts the 99.9% of decent soldiers out there in Iraq lives at risk. You can bet there will be seious reprisals for this
Old 12 February 2006, 04:08 PM
doug2507
Scooby Regular

Well i'm on a 2 week break from being out there and away back out on Wednesday. I can tell you now that these kids throw HUGE rocks/bricks and anything else they are strong enough to pick up just for kicks. If you combine the pressure of the job and this, especially when you have muppet's back home campaigning for troops to be withdrawn when they dont understand what we're doing out there, then tempers can flare up. I dont condone whats been done and don't know the full story yet, but i can sympathise for the squaddies because there's a large majority of kids out there who do deserve a good kicking.

I also think its a bit out of taste saying "Well done boys, once again showing the world how great our Army is." taking the **** when 3 more british troops have been killed when trying to stabalise the country, establish a solid democratic government and train their troops and police so they are capable of running their own country. If you want to come to my mates funeral, its in Aberdeen crematorium on Wed. afternoon. (he was shot in the mouth helping to fix a mast on top of one of thier police buildings).
Old 12 February 2006, 04:13 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by doug2507

I also think its a bit out of taste saying "Well done boys, once again showing the world how great our Army is." taking the **** when 3 more british troops have been killed when trying to stabalise the country, establish a solid democratic government and train their troops and police so they are capable of running their own country. If you want to come to my mates funeral, its in Aberdeen crematorium on Wed. afternoon. (he was shot in the mouth helping to fix a mast on top of one of thier police buildings).
I agree whit you Doug, you would have to be incredibly stupid or have a very different agenda to think this is a refection of how the whole British Army thinks, acts & operates!
Old 12 February 2006, 04:18 PM
RedFive
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
I agree whit you Doug, you would have to be incredibly stupid or have a very different agenda to think this is a refection of how the whole British Army thinks, acts & operates!
Maybe the more moderate soldiers should weed out those extremists instead of finding excuses for their behaviour
Old 12 February 2006, 04:20 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RedFive
Maybe the more moderate soldiers should weed out those extremists instead of finding excuses for their behaviour

I think you will find out the they are up on charges and rightly so if they beat them which it looks like they did.

At least they will not claim 'they did it for their God' or such a lame excuse hiding behind religion like some people do
Old 12 February 2006, 04:24 PM
RedFive
Scooby Regular

Do the excuses people use to explain moronic acts change much, you think ?

But yeah, you are right: they will be punished. Just like Ms. England in the US, after all, this was squaddies doing stuff, not the chain of command.

I do hope for you that the muslims will understand this

One more thing: "forcing democracy down people's throats" might be seen as some kind of religion as well.
Old 12 February 2006, 04:28 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

If the little ******* were throwing stones at the soldiers then they got what they deserved.

Imagine if you come back to your car and find some little pikeys snashing it up - you'd what to give them a good kicking.
Old 12 February 2006, 04:28 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by RedFive
Do the excuses people use to explain moronic acts change much, you think ?

But yeah, you are right: they will be punished. Just like Ms. England in the US, after all, this was squaddies doing stuff, not the chain of command.

I do hope for you that the muslims will understand this

One more thing: "forcing democracy down people's throats" might be seen as some kind of religion as well.
Dear oh dear, do calm down, take a deep breath. I would hate for you to take to the streets and burn images of me and the union jack just because of this thera and some comments

Perhaps you have this view that all westerners agree with the Likes of Ms England, etc. Well it may not be what you want to hear but i think you will find a lot don't.

Perhaps you feel the london bombings 7/7 justified, the outrage over the cartoons by extreemests/kill the westerers plackards was the right approach - lets hear how you really feel?

BTW A lot of us 'infidel cockroaches' do not agree with this war and where misled into it by a deceitful government.

Last edited by The Zohan; 12 February 2006 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12 February 2006, 04:34 PM
RedFive
Scooby Regular

Paul, I am perfectly calm, thank you As calm as you were last time we met

Just holding you a mirror. It's your loss you can't see what it am saying.

Even the fact that you are now assuming that I am not a westerner, or would burn images or flags says pretty much about the glasses you are using to look at this world.
Of course, being British, you could say that it was "irony" of course.

A lot do not agree: I know dear, the biggest protest march ever held in London (I think it was the biggest) proved that to a fine point.

Somehow the government didn't listen.

Perhaps you should go on the streets again, and demand that this war should be stopped ? I mean, as a moderate and moderator person ?
Old 12 February 2006, 04:35 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

i have been there during the war and am going back this year, things i have seen and things that were done to other human beings will live with me for ever.
I do not condone things like beatings, BUT you must try and understand the Arab way of doing things, beleive it or not thay are very barbaric to each other for the slightest crime,
Kids now realise that if they get caught stealing etc they only get a telling off or a slap, in Saddams day it was hands chopped off time.

We soldiers try to make the best of bad situations and no amount of training can prepare young guys for the conditions out there,

Most of us are just normal guys trying to do a job and get back in one piece, god only knows how i have anaged it with the amount of situations i have been in.
i would defy anyone to try it, and not come back with a changed opinion.

Support your troops, not slag them off.

Mac
Old 12 February 2006, 04:38 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Redfive - At no stage did i call or accuse you of being Muslim a terrorist or an extremist, I just asked your views - you read that in to what i wrote, maybe beacuse that what you wanted to read into it!

Perhaps you needs the glasses

Now what to watch after tea....

Last edited by The Zohan; 12 February 2006 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12 February 2006, 04:47 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Doug, just like the NOTW I sensationlesed the headline a little.

I do understand that soldiers do not do a nine to five job and there is a lot of preassure and hatred that builds up etc....but those actions can't be allowed to continue.

Sure, if they were Iraq soldiers etc, then fine give em a good kicking....but these were kids and the actions of those soldiers are not helping anyone. I also don't buy the "its only a few bad apples"......
Old 12 February 2006, 05:26 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

When I was 13 I would have expected a kicking at minimum if I threw anything at a bunch of blokes with guns. I'm sorry but I say fair dues.
Old 12 February 2006, 05:33 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

id rather have a kicking than a bullet through the head
Old 12 February 2006, 05:37 PM
RedFive
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Redfive - At no stage did i call or accuse you of being Muslim a terrorist or an extremist, I just asked your views - you read that in to what i wrote, maybe beacuse that what you wanted to read into it!

Perhaps you needs the glasses

Now what to watch after tea....
Can you actually accuse someone of being a muslim today ?

I'd say Top Gear BTW, unless you already saw that

My views are clear: we are all being fed propaganda, from all sides. We are egging each other up. Constantly.

My cry for "moderates condemning this alledged beating" is just mocking of your constant call to muslims to "stand up".

My view is that someone just accused Asifscoob of putting forward "scripted lines", yet you as a moderator did not do anything with that statement. I'm sure you don't need the link.

I think, in a way, that I'm saying that the UK needs to develop some gonads, on all sides and aspects.

Urgently.

Apart from that: does anyone here, in the army or not, think there won't be a civil war in Iraq soon ? Oh, let me guess: you don't give a fvck ? Well, tell that to Doug who's going to bury his mate next Wed.
Old 12 February 2006, 05:38 PM
RedFive
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
I do understand that soldiers do not do a nine to five job and there is a lot of preassure and hatred that builds up etc....but those actions can't be allowed to continue.
As PSL and a few others here would say: "hey, they are being paid to get killed".
Old 12 February 2006, 05:43 PM
RedFive
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
When I was 13 I would have expected a kicking at minimum if I threw anything at a bunch of blokes with guns. I'm sorry but I say fair dues.
You lived in an occupied land, after years of cruel dictatorship, put in place by British and French government ?

Stick to writing crappy anti-virus software Jack.
Old 12 February 2006, 06:58 PM
doug2507
Scooby Regular

Politics aside, we're paid to do a job. Just like anyone else. And not paid to ask why, even if we don't agree with why we are doing it.

Just saw the footage on the ch4 news and the guys did cross the line and acted in a very unprofessional way and below the high standards expected of us and are trained to. I'm sure there will be a full investigation into the matter and the guys involved will be dealt with accordingly. The footage was from 2 years ago and does not reflect on the high standards of regiments that are in theatre now making a huge difference in such a short space of time. And just as the military anylist said, if it were any other nation apart from the british, those boys would be 6ft under, no questions asked.

Just to add for the record to the people that think we should not be there, its the Iraqi people that want us to stay till they can run their own country so it doesnt turn to rat **** and end up the way it was. And to give you an idea of how the majority feel, my mate was given the honour of 'martyr' by the Iraqi people. Go look it up in a dictionary.

Last edited by doug2507; 12 February 2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12 February 2006, 07:03 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Thumbs up

What he said
Old 12 February 2006, 07:21 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good post Doug.

Keep safe dude...
Old 12 February 2006, 09:29 PM
Sqaddie'sMum
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by DocJock
Good post Doug.

Keep safe dude...
And bluenosewrx!

edit: where did that 'u' go?

Last edited by Sqaddie'sMum; 12 February 2006 at 09:33 PM.
Old 13 February 2006, 11:49 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

My cry for "moderates condemning this alledged beating" is just mocking of your constant call to muslims to "stand up"
Even for Scoobynet - that's a pretty lame analogy.

Could you direct me to the phone number for the "Muslim Police" who can view the videos of Muslim extremists and take the appropriate action including kicking them out of Islam ??

The behaviour in the video shouldnt be condoned - nor should it be taken to represent the actions of all the troops.
Old 13 February 2006, 12:30 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Maybe if a few more of the ******* got a kicking they would learn not to throw stones and bombs at our troops.
Old 13 February 2006, 12:40 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

So, on one hand we have representatives of Islam videoing the beheading of a westerner and on the other hand we have representatives of the west videoing a beating?

Assuming the video is genuine, it seems to be as if the average News of the World type on both sides is being wound up into a frenzy without really understanding what the situation is.
Old 13 February 2006, 12:51 PM
King RA
BANNED

I'm more annoyed at the NOTW for publishing this than anything else. This is war FFS, this happens. They certainly won't be doing it again in a hurry lol.
Old 13 February 2006, 01:01 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

I have to say for me personally the video is not particularly shocking. If asked whether I thought that any kids throwing stones etc repeatedly at troops had ever been given a kicking in response - I would probably have said "well yes I'm sure that has happened".

The "commentary" on the other hand is more shocking and quite odd. Somebody does seem to be getting off on it. And the intelligence of somebody videoing it at all has to be called into question.

Given the choice I'd take a kicking over a beheading though ....