Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Roundabouts

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2006, 06:23 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roundabouts

Just had a look at the highway code (for the first time in more years than I care to remember) to confirm the rules on who gives way to whom.
I always thought that you used to give way to traffic coming from the right but that in the late sixties the rules were changed such that you give way to traffic on the roundabout i.e. traffic coming from the right only has right of way once it is on the roundabout. Its not really an issue on very big roundabouts but critical on mini-roundabouts.

Some authorities are trying to put fencing up on the approach to roundabouts so that you can't see traffic coming from the right until the last moment - thus forcing drivers to slow down or stop. This would tend to confirm the rule about giving way to traffic on the roundabout as they are preventing you from seeing traffic approaching the roundabout. My concern is that on mini-roundabouts many drivers approach them at speed and don't lift at all - presumably believing that they have right of way over any traffic joining from the left (despite the fact that they may be 50 yards away from the roundabout).

My point is that the Highway code seems to suggest that traffic coming from the right has right of way (no mention of whether the traffic has to be on the roundabout first). In practice this would mean that if I try to turn right at the T-junction at the end of my road (controlled by a mini roundabout) traffic coming from my right can carry on at whatever speed they want without slowing and I am in the same position as I would be if there were no roundabout there.
I know that the answer to all of this is to excercise caution and let the idiots go first but I would like to be clear on what the rules are.

Apologies for the long post but if anyone can be arsed to read it I'd be interested to hear your views.

Last edited by SimonD; 12 February 2006 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11 February 2006, 06:45 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

aha, a pet-hate of mine.

As I read the rules, you have to give way to traffic that is already on the roundabout, no matter if its coming from the right or already infront of you.

A nearby road that is littered with roundabouts proves that no-one pays attention to this. If I join the roundabout while it is clear, although cars are approaching from the turning to the right but not yet on or close to the roundabout, according to the rules, I am on the roundabout first, therefor they have to give way to me, but they dont, as I accelerate round it, they blaze onto the roundabout without slowing, horn blazing as in their eyes I never gave way to traffic from my right, so they seem to think they have the right to run into me.
Old 11 February 2006, 07:05 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Another rule that seems to be neglected by a large majority of drivers these days, is that you are supposed to indicate which direction you're heading in when joining and when on a roundabout.
Very few drivers appear to indicate when they are turning left (meaning that you slow down or stop unnecessarily, expecting them to carry staright on), nor do they indicate when turning right (meaning that you either pull out in front of them, or pull-up sharply).

It's pure lazyness, but it's also selfish, forcing other road users to take action which shouldn't be necessary....
Old 11 February 2006, 08:06 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I thought the whole concept of roundabouts, was they eliminated the need to stop, the idea being you slotted into an available gap and flowed round the roundabout..

cept when they thought this up, cars only did 30 mph

like the you can go right round the roundabout in the outside lane, and cut right accross traffic going striaght on

highway code needs rewriting to bring it upto date

mart
Old 11 February 2006, 10:20 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Dont get me started on the round abouts and indicating bit !!
Amazed at how many people dont know what lane should be in when Negotiating a round about with two or three approach lane and two exit lanes !
Is it just me that find the highway code confusing and porely written.
richard
Old 12 February 2006, 12:22 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

The replies so far seem to confirm my confusion. My view has been pretty much the same as David Dickson but reading the highway code this afternoon has lead me to doubt this:

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/17.htm#161
Old 12 February 2006, 09:39 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

If everyone just used their indicators properly ( or at all in most cases ) on roundabouts it would cut out most of the problems as at least we'd have some clue where they are planning on going.
Old 12 February 2006, 09:46 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

or stayed in a lane...
Old 12 February 2006, 10:01 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Driving from my house to village I get to main road with mini-roundabout where I need to turn left. Cars stream down the main road and 90% of them will not slow down and some don't even seem to look if there is anyone coming the other way and turning right in front of them. Really pisses me off. If there is no one in car with me I will sometimes 1/2 nudge into roundabout in full knowledge that oncoming cars (often 15 metres from roundabout) will only see me at last minute - naughty but satisfying Of course I stop and leave them room to charge through but it does wake them up. Coming back from village and turning right in front of cars is even more fun!!

On a more serious note both my kids have recently passed their tests and I just have to say "ignore what the code says and see what other drivers are actually doing".

But I don't see fencing off as being helpful. dl
Old 12 February 2006, 10:21 AM
jasonl
Scooby Regular

a friend of mine has just had his car written off by some dozy cow in the wrong lane on a roundabout. she was in the left hand lane(turn left or straight on), he was in the right hand lane (straight on or turn right). well who can guess where she wanted to go?

give up, she decided she was actuallly turning right and as he was exiting the roundabout, she drove into his rear quarter. he managed to catch the spin, but in true front wheel drive fashion, the opposite lock then had the undesirable reaction of throwing him at the armco. they had both entered the roundabout at the same point. .

mini roundabouts are also a pet hate for me, you pitch up just after another car has arrived at the entry to your right. you stop as they are on your right. everyone then proceeds to sit there waiting for the traffic from the right to go , i get pissed off with sitting there, set off and low and behold everyone decides to set of as well
Old 12 February 2006, 10:39 AM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have one roundabout round here, which has only a straight on, and a right turn, two lanes in and out of every road...... how many times do i see people in the left lane who then decide to turn right in front of me...... ARGH!!!
Old 12 February 2006, 10:50 AM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Location: A.K.A RAIDEN, Watford & Tidworth. V7 STI Type RA Spec C, V2 STI,97JDM WRX, Daytona 675R

http://www.hemelhempsteadtoday.co.uk...px?pageID=4045

http://www.pdv-systeme.de/users/martinv/pgg/2R64_1.gif
Its fun negotiating this in the rush hour

Last edited by wrxtankie; 12 February 2006 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12 February 2006, 11:50 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

There is a similar one in Swindon too, can be confusing the first time you arrive at it.

We have a mini roundabout here too Simon and if I venture onto it before another car coming fast towards it but still some distance away from the roundabout, I get the waving arms, flashing lights and horn blowing etc. It is always because they are approaching too fast in a 30 mph limited area and think they have right of way.

I believe also that pedestrians do not have rights over a car at a pedestrian crossing unless they are actually on it a safe time before the car arrives. You don't have to stop to allow them onto the crossing before you drive over it. Obviously those controlled by lights have their own rules.

Les
Old 12 February 2006, 12:06 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Worse than not indicating is people who indicate right and go straight on. What's that all about?
Old 12 February 2006, 12:20 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Going off on a tangent slightly to the original post, but kind of relevant in that it involves roundabouts.

No local council in the UK seems to have the same idea of marking entry lanes to roundabouts.

Years ago driving was up to the individuals knowledge. Roundabouts were unmarked and you drove according to what you knew to be correct and it worked then, fine. Lanes approaching roundabouts were also largely left to discretion and worked.

Nowadays because approach roads to roundabouts are all marked and marked differently, depending on what town you are in, people get arsey if they are used to a certain way, local to them, instead of the 'correct' way of old.

When I'm out and about I think it's quite obvious when somebody isn't from the locality and they find themselves in the wrong lane because a local council has decided to paint it that way, different to where they live.

That's the problem like most things today, we are all expected to appear equal in our driving ability via painted instructions on the roads, regardless of whether it actually works efficiently or safely in some cases.
Old 12 February 2006, 01:36 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Those ******* fences are so annoying. Waste of time having to stop when nothing coming, but you can't see till you're 2 foot from the line