Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Police Moonlighting

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2006, 04:56 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police Moonlighting

I've been living in the states for a few months, and one thing I think they have got really right is the ability of the police to moonlight, IMO.

As I understand it, a private company, once approved by the precinct, can hire police officers on their own time. My wife works for a multi-national, and they have police men managing the traffic in rush hour near the buildings and such. You even see policemen standing outside church on a Sunday morning in the less desirable areas!!!!

A lot of the supermarkets employ them at rush hour too. I'm told they are also allowed to operate the same as a security or bodyguard would in the UK, in or out of uniform.

The policeman turns up in his own car, does his thing for an hour or two and is off. They are obviously required to respond to other matters if the need arises, but I think this is a great way of a) getting menial / non emergency jobs done b) keeping the budget down and the pay packet up c) having a visible police presence.

I know football clubs, pubs and concert organisers have to pay a certain amount to the police in the UK and that's different in a lot of ways, but do you think if businesses could have a policeman or two on hand, without it costing the taxpayers (directly) it would work at home?