Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave review, Uproar "The Hardcore Showdown PtII" 4/2/06

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2006, 10:45 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Rave review, Uproar "The Hardcore Showdown PtII" 4/2/06

Uproar seems to be going from strength to strength these days. WIth their last sell out party at their new home, The Sanctuary in Birmingham, being a complete success, I was gagging to get back to the place and back to Uproar.

So I was a happy raver whent the flyer for the next rave hit the streets. Everything seemed to be in place for the next event to be just as good as the last. Back at the Sanctuary again? Yep, if it aint broke, don't fix it. Same sound system in the place as last time? Damn straight, hasn't moved an inch. Three rooms of madness, inlcuding a return of a very much needed nod to the Hardcore Breakbeat fraternity? Oh yes, will be great to be back in there again. Same attention to detail with regard to lineup? You bet.

This was the best bit about the party. The rave had been declared round two of "The Hardcore Showdown", with plenty of unusual b2b sets to attract the party crew to the event. Hixxy Vs. Marc Smith had to be done, same with Seduction Vs. Unknown and Breeze Vs. Sharkey. And as for Sy Vs. Re-Con.....

The upshot of all this was me hurtling up the M40 on the wrong side of midnight and the speed limit. I was late and I knew it, but this had been unavoidable. I weren't exactly dressed for the ocassion either, but I had a bag of rave clothes and energy drinks by my side and it was nothing getting nekkid in the drivers seat whilst the car was sat in central Birmingham wouldnt change.

Eventually, I headed towards the venue at just gone 2am. It was a bit of a concern, what with the flyer clearly stating final entry was at 1.30am, but the organisers were way ahead of me. After having a word with security and being greeted by friendly faces inside, I was in.

I made short work of getting my **** upstairs, a drink in my hand and my dayglo on my back. Ever heard of speed dating? This was Speed raving. I had to cram the entire evening into my travel time to and from the party so I got straight down to business. My first stop, Arena 1 for Breeze Vs. Sharkey.

Opening the door to the main aren was a sobering experience, with the place totally rammed and everyone inside going for it as the Hardcore was rinsed through the best system in the business. I have lots of good memories of raving to both Sharkey and Breeze, but it has to be said their styles do differ by a marked amount. I was interested to see what they could come up with together.

As it turned out, it was one of the more enjoyable sets of the night, with both DJs meeting halfway to give some kind of set structure, the place was packed and rocking to the combined sound of the two DJs in the place. The one thing I did notice was both of them making exceptions and dropping some tunes they might not have if playing solo. Sharkey giving a lot of ground and mixing in "Tripod" and Breeze dropping some pure refined chedder in the form of a remix of Scooter's "Nessenja", which for a cheeser like me, was a moment to go goosebumpy to.

However, all this occured in the mere 30 minutes I was there, cos once that 30 minutes was up, I was out the door and up the stairs. I would have liked to have stayed longer and it was a shame to leave, but with such little time on my hands, I had to make sacrifices. Especially when Ophidian was one. He had come such a long way that it would have been rude not to have taken a trip to see his efforts, so I got myself into the techno room asap.

With a nicely busy Uproar :HARD: arena presenting itself, as well as, if I'm not mistaken, a Funktion One Sound system, not to mention Ophidian himself behind the decks. Best of all, the one and only MC Ribbz was on the mic and effortlessly doing his job of hyping the crowd, just by being there. Ophidian was also hard at work, producing the music, as well as coming up the second set of minimalist Gabba that I've heard in the last couple of weeks. A deeper bassline, a lack of scary vocals (aside from the occasional torrent of abuse here and there) and lots and lots of driven tunes made for a set without recognition, but one that was compensated for by a set which left me immersed in the music. For precisely 30 minutes again.

This time it was Ophidian terminating his set that decided the room change and my destination was the last of the three arenas on my whistlestop tour of the venue. Breakbeat Hardcore and Old Skool my have been the rooms official moniker, but when Supreme stepped up (only after Vinyl Junkie finished things off with the classic "I'm ravin I'm ravin") it was down to him so he kicked off his Happy Hardcore set with avengence.

A sedate start (comparitively speaking) was in order so Supreme started off with "All I ever wanted" before taking things up a notch . It was clear he was taking no prisoners and was determined to give the crowd all the cheese they could handle when "Higher Love" and best of all "Here I am" were slid in in quick succession. It might have been a bit cheesy, but I was loving every minute of it.

In fact, the only thing that let this set down was the random MC on the mic (a blagger I think) who was more concerned with waffling crap non stop than complimenting the music. Fortunately, MC Friction took over soon after he'd had enough and the "less is more" school of micwork was thankfully applied for the rest of the set.

Good though it was, I was, once again, out of the door when the time came to leave. There was about 2 1/2 hours of the party left to go and I was going to spend the lot in the main arena, rocking it down to some of my favourite artists. First up, was meant to be Marc Smith and Hixxy, but due to him being unable to make it, Mr. RBC was replaced by Flyin'.

Together with the addition of MC Whizzkid on the mic, the place was all set for the next hour and a bit. Smithy and Cakes went to work, determined to impress.

With all three on the ball from the start, I was well away in no time at all. I make no apology for my love of Marc Smith's set structure and with the addition of Flyin', who was delivering his defintion of Hardcore into the mix, it was a set that got me raving, Hard.

To add to the surprises, it turned out that Whizzkid was keeping things under control until Wotsee turned up. When he'd arrived, Whizzkid quickly left him to his own devices and Wotsee needed no further encouragement to get going.

Complimenting the tunes Flyin' and Marc were supplying, I was going for it throughout, but I was especially happy when the eclectic nature of the set meant I could rock it down to "Baby you know you're mine" AND "Gravity" in the same set, whilst Wotsee was busting out all his (and my) favourites such as "Sattelite City" on the mic.

For the last set of the evening, there was only one way to go in my book, and thats with Sy on the decks and Storm on the mic. However, this was The Hardcore Showdown and that meant a b2b was needed. On the flyer, the exciting combination of Sy Vs. Re-Con presented itself, but as Re-con couldn't make it, the even more excition combination of Sy Vs. CLSM was in place to compensate. It would be interesting if nothing else.

"Interesting" is not good enough to describe what went off for the final hour and a bit, "'Kin amazing" is closer. As a big fan of all three artists who were performing in front of me, the chance to see them collaborating together was a rare treat to say the least.

Storm was on the ball throughout the performance, but he's always at his best when he has a large crowd to hype, its what he does, especially when its the final set of the night. As a result, the set was complimented with plenty of his lyrics at choice points throughout, with more notable highlights including "just accept it", "True Hardcore" and a new effort in the form of the politically charged "Cant understand your problem".

With regard to the DJs, the extra talent did dilute the full on bounce driven assault that characterises any good Sy set, but CLSM's unique tune selection in no way detracted from the entertainment on offer, quite the opposite in fact. With Hardcore Stompers abounding from Sy's record bag, including "Just a feeling", "Feel so real" and the remix of "Pacific Sun", CLSM provided the foil for these in the form of "See you on the other side", "Lets Fly" and best of all, the rave's finisher, the classic "Timebomb".

Things I liked:

Venue - Been to The Sanctuary twice now, both times courtesy of Uproar. Big arenas, high ceilings, bare wooden floors and just that little bit of dirt to give it character means its rapidly advancing up my personal list of favourite venues.

System - The main arena sound system is not one of my favourites, it IS my favourite. Only experienced it twice, but its impressed me on both occasions and then some. For reference, imagine the main arena system at Air, but louder, shake your fillings loose louder.

Lineup - This was the second installment of Uproar's branded "Hardcore Showdown" parties. The lineup was stuffed with top quality, unusual b2b sets. Best of all, most of them were well over an hour in duration. Nice one.

Ravers - In this case, a lot. The place was at capacity for most of the night and best of all, they were ravers with stamina. As a result, the place was nicely packed until the final tune.

Production - Going back to this party meant two things, not only did I get to rave in front of the biggest banners in Hardcore, but two full on Rez lasers and if I'm not mistaken, a third in the techno room too. Very impressive to watch when the pair of them were sparked up in the main room.

Set time cards - A staple of attending Uproar is getting your very own set time card. Even though this happens at every party I go to, they still deserve a mention.

Performance artists - Fire poi on the go at regular intervals on stage. It ruled. usually I have to go to Illegal raves to see this sort of display, this time it was illgal raves and Uproar.

MC Rude - For being a chap and the sorter out of astraboy shaped problems on very little notice. Thank you.

Things I liked less:

Dance Factory - I have yet to see the insideof this arena and this party was not going to change that. A note of apology was pinned to the door though, it has to be said.

Sound system - While the main arena sound system was tearing, the Breakbeat and Old Skool room was not quite as good. A system which matches the arena size is needed cos it just didnt stretch far enough in terms of volume.

I shouldn't have been at this party. I wasn't meant to be there. The very fact i turned up at 2am tells you what sort of commitments I had to fulfill before I could turn up. But then again, it also tells you how much I wanted to be therewhen I had to make special arrangements to leave where I was, take a post midnight, two hour drive to get there, then blag my way past security, all of them saying "we're closed" when I got there.

However, even though my travelling time was equal to the amount of time I spent actually in the rave, it was all worth it. Oh boy was it worth it. Well thought out lineup, up for it party crew, IMMENSE sound and top quality tunes throughout the night. The only part of the night evening that left me dissapointed was how quick it went, but that what you get when you turn up so late. I know I wont be making the same mistake twice, so I'll see you nice and early for the next one.
astraboy.
Old 09 February 2006, 10:50 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL...

You have ***** of steel sir...
Old 09 February 2006, 10:52 PM
Notorious
Scooby Regular

This thread will be no way near as funny as the last review without the visual aids....
Old 09 February 2006, 11:03 PM
Moonloops
Scooby Regular

Astraboy - you still smell of cucumber and carpet tacks...

hope that helps

p.s. ignore the second - so not me
Old 09 February 2006, 11:10 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moonloops
Astraboy - you still smell of cucumber and carpet tacks...

hope that helps

p.s. ignore the second - so not me
and people accuse me of taking drugs!
I dont care though, bring on the haters! bring them all! I'm a raver and every weekend is an adventure filled with the best friends I'll ever make! I dont care what you think! particularly if you happen to be a has been House jock with serious emotional stabilty problems caused by too much nose candy!
astraboy.
Old 09 February 2006, 11:17 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

I think you'll find a few (about 2800) relevant images here if you want a laugh...

http://www.dontstayin.com/uk/birming...04/event-26628
Old 09 February 2006, 11:21 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Hmmmmm.... you thought ab was looking cool in that hi-viz number:

Old 09 February 2006, 11:33 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrShades

He knows the score ............. Hardcore.
Old 09 February 2006, 11:34 PM
scott8629
Scooby Regular

Astraboy im not into raves but I want to goto one for the experence, any happening up in Yorkshire soon? Where is the next one you are going to?

I have a high vis vest I can pinch from work

Any hot chicks?
Old 09 February 2006, 11:35 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

What a load of self-indulgent twaddle!
Old 09 February 2006, 11:38 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Notorious
This thread will be no way near as funny as the last review without the visual aids....
Agreed. I want to see if Astraboy's local community hall is as buzzing as last time

Giving it to you, the hands in the air crew
Old 10 February 2006, 06:45 AM
Tony MY03WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrShades

Check this guys eyes out!!! One of to the shops....the other coming back with the change
Old 10 February 2006, 07:22 AM
Buckwheat
Scooby Regular

LOL

Here we go again...
Old 10 February 2006, 09:05 AM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

DEAR GOD
when is enough going to be enough
no one gives two ****s about your quest to wear silly plastic high visability clothing and white gloves
if you have such a hard on for high vis bibs and warehouses
why not just get a job order picking for tescos
the high vis clothing is free and theres plenty of beeping machinery to make you think you are back with the staines massive and dj wibbly wobble
Old 10 February 2006, 09:10 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AB's rave reviews are one of the scoobynet institutions, much like Pete's drivel. I'm not into the music at all so I tend not to read them but many people on here are and do. Quite frankly, it wouldn't be the same place without them.
Old 10 February 2006, 09:15 AM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

trust me i really doubt anyone here is into hardcore music
unless they are
under the age of 20
under the influence of industrial strength amphetamines
work at halfords
astraboi doesnt count as hes some weird peter pan pseudo raver boi
seeing the above rave review makes me cringe and think of old men in night clubs trying to show the "young uns" how it was done
sad sad sad
Old 10 February 2006, 09:23 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would be surprised. My wife used to work with a chap that was in his 50s who was heavily into hardcore rave music and took his 2 daughters to ibiza every year!
Old 10 February 2006, 09:28 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by EXSCOOBY
trust me i really doubt anyone here is into hardcore music
unless they are
under the age of 20
under the influence of industrial strength amphetamines
work at halfords
astraboi doesnt count as hes some weird peter pan pseudo raver boi
seeing the above rave review makes me cringe and think of old men in night clubs trying to show the "young uns" how it was done
sad sad sad
Used to be into rave quite a few years ago now, and although I dont usually read Astraboys reveiws I dont mind them, why should you?

Im 26 now and was listening to alot of my old rave tapes from Hardcore Heaven and Helter Skelter the other night, its not half bad until you get some idiot MC'ing over it.

sad sad sad
Your the sad sad sad one for having an opinion on the way someone else lives their life that has no effect on you and what music they listen too.
Old 10 February 2006, 09:58 AM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

Do you not take any drugs then Astraboy? Serious question btw
Old 10 February 2006, 10:25 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Nope, never taken them in my life. Even puff.
astraboy.
Old 10 February 2006, 10:30 AM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

DEAR GOD
when is enough going to be enough
no one gives two ****s about your quest to wear silly plastic high visability clothing and white gloves
if you have such a hard on for high vis bibs and warehouses
why not just get a job order picking for tescos
the high vis clothing is free and theres plenty of beeping machinery to make you think you are back with the staines massive and dj wibbly wobble
* Yawwwnnnnn

You don't like it, then don't read it....

It's not that difficult is it....
Old 10 February 2006, 10:39 AM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by astraboy
Nope, never taken them in my life. Even puff.
astraboy.
So have i misread your reply at the top of this page?
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...ight=ephedrine
Old 10 February 2006, 10:42 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

LOL, laugh a minute thread.
Old 10 February 2006, 10:46 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Robbie T
So have i misread your reply at the top of this page?
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...ight=ephedrine
All thats needed is a little clarification.
Said clarification being I've never taken illegal drugs in my life.

astraboy.
Old 10 February 2006, 10:53 AM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

EPHEDRINE is ilegal unless you have been legally prescribed it by a doctor
It is also one of the most dangerous chemicals you can but into your body. You clown
Old 10 February 2006, 11:17 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

EPHEDRINE is ilegal unless you have been legally prescribed it by a doctor
It is also one of the most dangerous chemicals you can but into your body. You clown
this coming from a man that has admitted to doing so many drugs he's gone into rehab.
Ehpedrine illegal? Not according to this:
http://www.idmu.co.uk/ephedrine2.html
and this:
http://forum.europeanservers.us/cgi-bin/thr.eur?774
believe me I researched the subject extensively before I took it. It cant be that dangerous if the chinese have been using it for the last 5000 years:
http://bodybuilding-help.com/ephedrine
Its legal to buy, own and use. Besides, your a fine one point the finger regarding drug use and misuse, if you're talking about dangerous chemicals you can put in your body, judging by your sanctomonius attitude and arrogance, I'm sure you're more than familiar with the effects that cocaine have on the body. Specifically, yours.
astraboy.
Old 10 February 2006, 01:16 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Old 10 February 2006, 01:31 PM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

I LEARNT FROM MY ERRORS
and no clown ephedrine is not legal
i havent touched drugs of any kind in years
im a father now and at 35 yrs old thought it was time to grow up

Ephedrine is a prescription only medicine in the UK, used in the treatment of bronchospasm (athsma) and other disorders. It is not available 'over the counter'

However, if sold as an unlicensed preparation (e.g. as 'legal high') the seller would risk prosecution under the medicines act.

http://homepage.usask.ca/~cck661/Report.html

84 deaths and thousands of complications
you know what??

TAKE MORE OF IT
IN FACT TAKE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN GET YOUR WHITE GLOVED HANDS ON!!!

how old are you ???????
answer the question
Old 10 February 2006, 01:54 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

how old are you ???????
answer the question
Okay, I'll answer the question, just as soon as you tell me your DJ name.
astraboy.
Old 10 February 2006, 01:59 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

EXSCOOBY
You're making a complete ***** out of yourself

Astraboy is actually coming out of all this quite well

Keep it up.... all very sad but entertaining all the same

Quick Reply: Rave review, Uproar "The Hardcore Showdown PtII" 4/2/06