House sale - Accepting an offer

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2006, 03:48 PM
Dazzler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question House sale - Accepting an offer

Hi

Do you know whether you need to take your property off the market when you've accepted an offer, and stopping viewings?

Had an offer that is a little lower (2K lower) then the price I was willing to drop to, but I am going to go back and accept. At this price though I was thinking of saying that I want to keep it on the market.

Cheers
Old 06 February 2006, 03:50 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

technically yes you should stop taking viewings.

£2000 lower isnt much is it. If your going to accept it then do so, dont mess people about with costs of surveys etc and pull out on them because someone has offered you a bit more. If anything you could find your messing yourself around.
Old 06 February 2006, 03:54 PM
Dazzler
Scooby Regular

I know what you're saying Dave, but if the person met me half way, which would have been the extra 2k I would be more than happy to take it off the market and stop all further viewings whilst this went ahead.

I have been on the flip side of this where I took my house off the market after I accepted an offer, the SOLD sign went up. Then everything went quiet. Only to find out 3 weeks down the line that the buyer had pulled out.
It works both ways.
Old 06 February 2006, 03:58 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Yes it does work both ways but thats not how you go about selling a house, any decent estate agent (not that many about I know ) Should tell you its sold and you'll stop taking viewings of it.

If everything went quiet for 3 weeks then Id suggest your communication between you and the Estate Agents is poor and needs sorting before trying to sell a house through them.
Old 06 February 2006, 04:03 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

I've just accepted an offer on my house (after my first 'buyer' pulled out at the start of last week). After accepting this offer another offer was received from another party (but not accepted by me).

The estate agents explained to me that they are legally obliged to tell you any offers they receive even though you have accepted an offer - this ends when you withdraw the house from sale.
Old 06 February 2006, 04:12 PM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

Accepting the offer means nothing legally, as you must know if you've seen a buyer walk away. If you're worried about shafting the buyer, why not just say that you'll accept the low offer, but reserve the right to accept a different offer if you get the asking price or a higher bid? If they think the bid is pitched right, they'll go ahead anyway. If they're low-balling, maybe they'll meet the price you want and you can deal happily.
Old 06 February 2006, 04:14 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dazzler
I know what you're saying Dave, but if the person met me half way, which would have been the extra 2k I would be more than happy to take it off the market and stop all further viewings whilst this went ahead.

I have been on the flip side of this where I took my house off the market after I accepted an offer, the SOLD sign went up. Then everything went quiet. Only to find out 3 weeks down the line that the buyer had pulled out.
It works both ways.
Yeah had selling my house recently. Annoying when the seller dissapears and does not bother to answer the estate agent.

Richard
Old 06 February 2006, 04:17 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

dazzler......whats your objective here? You take their offer...then someone offers £2k, are you going to shaft the people you have said you will sell to?

Either sell or dont sell, you cant be 100% sure how things will pan out but starting off by reserving the right to screw over your potential buyers is no way to go.

"Then everything went quiet. Only to find out 3 weeks down the line that the buyer had pulled out. "

you need to take the blame for some of that.....if selling your house is important then get an update twice a week WITHOUT fail....how can something go quiet for three weeks? Get the buyers details and speak with the mdirect if you have a crap estate agent (which you shouldnt have)
Old 06 February 2006, 04:20 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

If you want to see if you can weasel a bit more out of them, tell them that if they meet you half way, you'll take the house off the market today.
Old 06 February 2006, 04:25 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanslow
If you want to see if you can weasel a bit more out of them, tell them that if they meet you half way, you'll take the house off the market today.

How much is this place that you are bothered over £2k??
Old 06 February 2006, 04:32 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
how can something go quiet for three weeks? Get the buyers details and speak with the mdirect if you have a crap estate agent (which you shouldnt have)
LOL if you'd had our estate agent when we moved last year, the 8 week silence from them as soon as we accepted the offer was rather interesting We naively assumed things were just ticking over and going through the motions until it all went a bit mental! Loads of hassle that we had to sort out which was really the EA's job, gave us good cause to knock their fees down I'd sooner they'd have done their job, saved us the hassle, and we'd have paid them what they were due.

First time we'd sold a house and we did try to get information out of them, but they just didn't seem to listen
Old 06 February 2006, 04:32 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonathan Davies
Accepting the offer means nothing legally, as you must know if you've seen a buyer walk away. If you're worried about shafting the buyer, why not just say that you'll accept the low offer, but reserve the right to accept a different offer if you get the asking price or a higher bid? If they think the bid is pitched right, they'll go ahead anyway. If they're low-balling, maybe they'll meet the price you want and you can deal happily.
I doubt it. They'll just say, OK, let me know if you get a higher offer and I'll think about it. Until then, my offer stands unless I find another place (works both ways you see )
Old 06 February 2006, 04:39 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jonathan Davies
correct course of action
Old 06 February 2006, 04:45 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

I know where you are coming from Dazzler - you don't want to stop marketing your house until the deal is signed and sealed. unfortunately you have to stick with the crappy system or you will merely alienate all potential buyers.
Old 06 February 2006, 04:46 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Yep, house isn't actually sold until contracts are exchanged, technically. Keeping house on market will accelerate process anyway. It's not shafting the buyer, as said before if they think they have the money right, no problem. Ensure the buyer is aware whatever you decide though.

Oh, and I feckin' hate estate agents!
Old 06 February 2006, 04:48 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
If your going to accept it then do so, dont mess people about with costs of surveys etc and pull out on them because someone has offered you a bit more
This won't be an issue from july next year. With the introduction of Home Inspection Packs the seller will have to meet the cost of producing a Home Condition Report (survey) before the property goes on the market. This is then made available FOC to all prospective buyers. This will cost the seller around £700 - £1000.
Old 06 February 2006, 04:49 PM
Dazzler
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice.

Firstly, the Estate Agent tried constantly to get in touch with the person who pulled out the first time. I was kept in the picture the whole time, but it does get disheartening being told they still haven't managed to make contact with them.

Tiggs - It has nothing to do about shafting people, I believe I am a fair person. If they have not quite met what I was looking for as a minimum, then isn't it fair to accept the offer on the proviso I keep the place on the market up until that person has a survey in place? Once they have parted with money I will not have the house on the market.

Tiggs - How is the house price relevant to whether I'm bothered about 2k? It goes some way to paying off the Agents fees, which is always useful.
Old 06 February 2006, 04:51 PM
Dazzler
Scooby Regular

Well, gone back and told the Estate Agent that I've accepted the offer, but will still keep it on the market up until the buyer has arranged and paid for the survey.
Old 06 February 2006, 05:05 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"If they have not quite met what I was looking for as a minimum"

If they havent paid what you want tell them so. They are offering you £X...thats either ok or its not.

"How is the house price relevant to whether I'm bothered about 2k?"

Because if its £300k house then it seems a lot of bother for under 1% of the value - just take the offer. If its a £20k mobile home then i understand.....hold on for £22k
Old 06 February 2006, 05:09 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Well, gone back and told the Estate Agent that I've accepted the offer, but will still keep it on the market up until the buyer has arranged and paid for the survey.

hope that works out cool for you- but if i was your buyer i would walk away......why should i pay £500+ for a survey when you showing people around at the same time and happy to sell to them if they offer above me?

If i was buying i would say i will have the survey complete in X days (and provide you with proof i has arranged it) if you still insisted on showing potential buyers around i would walk.
Old 06 February 2006, 05:13 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

hope that works out cool for you- but if i was your buyer i would walk away......why should i pay £500+ for a survey when you showing people around at the same time and happy to sell to them if they offer above me?

If i was buying i would say i will have the survey complete in X days (and provide you with proof i has arranged it) if you still insisted on showing potential buyers around i would walk.
Again, with the introduction of Home Inspection Packs this situation won't arise. The seller provides the Home Condition Report upfront to potential buyers speeding up the selling process substantially.
Old 06 February 2006, 05:20 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

I say what Dazzer has said in regards to the offer and only take it off when the buyer has paid for the survey is fine.
Tiggs if you have ever had dealing with asian's and there manner to buying house, ie making offer, accepting and then disappearing. And then turning up with a dodgy Surveyor who values your house at £15K in an attempt to get you to reduce the price. I can understand Dazzers methods.
Richard
Old 06 February 2006, 05:23 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

the offer should be subject to a deposit. If they want the property, then ask them to leave a deposit, only when the deposit has been recieved, then take it off the market. People are less likely to pull out and indicates that the buyer is more likely to go through the purchase if they leave their money with you/solicitor
Old 06 February 2006, 05:42 PM
Dazzler
Scooby Regular

Tiggs - You wouldn't be parting with cash with the house still on the market. As soon as the survey is booekd the house comes off. It gives the seller re-assurance that the offer is serious.
Once, this happens, the house comes off and nobody loses money.

Totally agree that sellers should pay for surveys though. That way, nobody would be worried about either party pulling out when you've just forked out £500-1000.
Old 06 February 2006, 08:56 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"Tiggs - You wouldn't be parting with cash with the house still on the market. As soon as the survey is booekd the house comes off"

thats fine- and a little more deatil than your first post.

"Tiggs if you have ever had dealing with asian's "

lol...i'm pretty right of the middle but cant say i would base my house sale technique on the potential downfalls that i may deal with an asian!
Old 06 February 2006, 09:20 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Tiggs - As soon as the survey is booked the house comes off. It gives the seller re-assurance that the offer is serious.
Once, this happens, the house comes off and nobody loses money.
Thats fine- and a little more detail than your first post.
You just need to read better Tiggs, the clues are there.
Old 06 February 2006, 10:07 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

who reads the small print
Old 07 February 2006, 08:28 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

"If they have not quite met what I was looking for as a minimum"

Dazzer, do you have a minimum or not? If they have not offered the minimum you want, tell them sorry and goodbye.

When selling a property you should establish 3 prices before you start, top end, acceptable, walk away. If they do not offer the "walk away" price, tell them goodbye. If you are prepared to accept 2k offer lower than what you said was your "minimum", it wasn't your walk away price.

If you make it crystal clear to your estate agent what your walk away price is, you won't waste time with getting offers less than that.
Old 07 February 2006, 08:53 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

My take is as follows. EA phones you saying he has offer of £X. You then say to agent no way or try to get another grand but if you can't then I'll take it. But double check it's a real offer and hopefully not No 7 in a long chain.

"Under Offer" sign is put up outside. I would then say to EA "No more speculative viewings but if someone walks in who has cash (i.e. already sold theirs) then they can have a discrete look". But only on the basis that you are sticking with original buyer unless it goes **** up.

Good luck.
Old 07 February 2006, 03:30 PM
V1CK1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2000TLondon
Oh, and I feckin' hate estate agents!
Nice!

Quick Reply: House sale - Accepting an offer