Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anybody watching "The Garage" on Discovery?

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2006, 10:21 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Anybody watching "The Garage" on Discovery?

Not sure if many have caught this but its about a garage in Spain run by a Scot and all the mechanics are brits.

Some of it is pretty good. However, I was surprised by a couple of things they did last night.

1) one of the mechanics brought in a BMW E36 which had just died for no apparent reason. One of the lads said he thought it was the cam belt that had snapped but minutes before he tried to turn the engine over. I'm not a mechanic and don't really know too much about engines but I always thought if you think its the cam belt the last thing you do is try and turn it over.

2) They trek out to a scrappy to buy a replacement engine for the beemer. They pay £200 for an engine from an E30 and spend 3 hours taking it out. Now fair enough it did fit in the end but at no point did anyone ask the question of whether the engine from the E30 would fit the E36. Bit of a gamble spending the £200 plus the 3 hours during work time to pull it out.

It just seems odd that only half of them seem to know what they are doing and it doesn't look very cost effective to have 3 employees working on a employees' car. Good watching IMO, especially when the boss loses it.
Old 31 January 2006, 11:26 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been watching this - with the beemer it was similar to what race teams call an 'electrical fault' - meaning that the spark plug stopped working shortly after the engine blew itself to bits and the piston smashed into it.

I thought on a previous episode it said one of the lads used to work for a BMW dealer, sure he was one of the ones in the scrapyard, so he probably knew the engine would fit and they just thought it would make better TV to pretend they didnt.

But 3's up with the receptionist and the apprentice, oh yes ! ;0)
Old 31 January 2006, 11:26 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Dinnae swear at me or al come doon an see ye

Old 31 January 2006, 11:44 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Sounds a bit bodgit and scarper.

Presuming it was a belt driven 4pot beamer (most BMWs are chain). A broken belt doesn't always mean a dead engine, 80% of the time its just a case of reconditioning the cylinder head...must be too hard or challanging for them to do that
Old 31 January 2006, 11:49 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Have been watching it for a few weeks.

Still can't see the point of that blonde-bird-mechanic?
Old 31 January 2006, 11:52 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Viewer ratings I guess?
Old 31 January 2006, 12:31 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Looks like a bodge type garage to me.

A customer supplied his own exhaust for his Mini and was told it was the wrong part, and a replacement was fabricated (which the garage owner was well proud of).. only to find that the supplied exhaust was correct after all.

Then there was the Golf with a dodgy aircon fan.. my missus said "I bet it's a fuse".. and after many days, and spanner work, and swapping over ECUs.. it was found to be... a fuse.

Trending Topics

Old 31 January 2006, 12:44 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

From last nights episode I think that most of the mechanics are new employees from mechanic backgrounds. Think it said at some point they've gone from 2 people to 7.

I would guess that whoever makes the program has paid the guy to add more staff, include the blonde bird for something to look at, and film the subsequent muck ups and blazing arguments. Not very good telly if its just a couple of good spanner men repairing cars day in day out.

The BMW job just looked like ametuer night. I used to repair pressure washers and the boss wouldn't be happy if there were 3 of us attempting to fix one washer. Check it over, make the call on whats wrong, find out if the customer wants to go ahead and then get it done. If we cocked up or it took too long we had to come in Saturday morning in our own time to sort it out or make up for it.

As for the engine issue, now I think about it one lad did know the exact version number of each engine so yeah I guess they probably bigged up the issue of it not fitting.
Old 31 January 2006, 01:15 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Yes it's good telly, not sure if I'd want my car repaired there though. Agree with the receptionist comment .

Allan