Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Another FFS, This time DVLA

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2006, 11:10 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another FFS, This time DVLA

OK next problem. I used to own a mint Renault 5 phase 1, full reno history etc, I sold it back in May to the brother in law. Hes just had it in for its MOT (Ive had it MOT'd myself and its passed no probs) but this year everything has changed and its all done on computer and checked against the DVLA database.

Anyway its come back and the VIN on the car doesnt match the database

Seems the cars VIN is something like VFNC88888888888and the DVLA have VFNO8888888888888. So its a digit out, and the digit is very close to looking the same, do you think it could have been an admisterative error when putting the details in. I think it could be but suprised its took 20 years for it to be picked up on. Im completely sure the car is very genuine although I could be wrong. Im gonna have to ring the DVLA this afternoon to try and get to the bottom of it, even though its not my car I feel a sence of responsibility as I sold it too him, normally I'd say bugger off but its the Brother in Law. Might be a bit tricky...lol
Old 30 January 2006, 11:20 AM
HowiesPreza
Scooby Regular

Location: Whitley Bay the Falaraki of the North! sold CTR bought another scooby, got refund after legal battle

DVLA = Rubbish. I have 2 V5's for my Imprez,a when I bought it V5 came through and the next day an identical one turned up on the door mat - Nice and organised and helpful at beating fraud!
Old 30 January 2006, 01:07 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

About 30% of all their records are incorrect, by their own admission. This is part of the reason for the computerised MoT etc. as they want to try and get the database as accurate as possible ahead of country wide automatic number plate recognition, RFID tags in number plates and satellite tracking and speed limiting. The money behind all this which is driving it along is the plans for pay per mile road charging.

So no need to panic about the records being wrong, that is nearly normal, it is why they are so keen to get them right you need to worry about.
Old 30 January 2006, 01:11 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

lol... ok fair enough, the garage who are doing the MOT were actually good enough to sort the problem with the DVLA and its all passed first time (told you its a minter, 20 year old reno 5 GTT unreliable eh ) oh well, thats 1 problem for the day sorted.
Old 30 January 2006, 03:25 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I've had the exact same problem with teh MOT Land Rover.....

There teh chassis number is "XXX XXX XXX A" whilst the V5 is the same except it missed the "A" off the end.

When MOT came along...MOT Computer said "NO" and threw a hissy fit about it not matching the number logged on teh DVLA's database

I was supposed to get a naughty boy letter in the post demanding an update of vehicle details and return of the V5 to be updated...this was last year, still haven't recieved anything.
Old 30 January 2006, 07:44 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

I requested a form to put a personal reg on retention recently - I got the same form through the post 5 TIMES!!!