FFS, damn council

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2006, 10:53 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FFS, damn council

Great start to the week.....

Received a letter today for a court summons. Aparently we missed a payment on the council tax, we pay £86 a month and I usually do it online Looking back through my email reciepts it looks like I missed paying Novembers installment. Payed Decembers and paid Januarys payment first thing this morning. Not heard anythng from the council reminding us off missing a payment etc. Now I have a court summons coming through my frigging letter box saying Ive missed payment and ignored the reminder (wtf, I didnt get a reminder) and now I have to go to court on the 16th of February

I can get out of this by paying the £30 court fees and the court charges of £68. plus the £86 installment that Ive missed fromt he council. so basically £180 to cancel it. I dont mind paying the missed council tax, it was a genuine oversight thats never happened before. I must have been away over that period and forgot to pay it. Honest mistake, willing to accept that, but surely made to pay an extra £100 ontop for that is abit harsh isnt it? PLus the reminder letter never turned up, but surely they should send you 2? At least for th fact that your gonna get at very least one before theyre taking you to court....

So where do I stand, if I ring the council this afternoon and have a moan and offer to pay the missed month will they cancel the other charges as I feel like Im being treated a little harsh, I know its only £100 but even so. £100 Id rather have in my bl00dy pocket and not them rip off bassas. Dont even get given Wheelie bins round here, tight ar$e ba$tards
Old 30 January 2006, 10:57 AM
Crazy Chick
Scooby Regular

Seems a bit harsh to me.

You've actually just reminded me that I haven't paid mine this month - due on 1st.

I usually just get a letter telling me to pay up and then I do - end of story.
Old 30 January 2006, 10:57 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife used to deal with this kind of thing but does business rates now. My best advice to call them up and speak to them. They can often help out and my best advice is to be nice, polite and apologetic. If you are polite to the staff and don't raise your voice they are alot more likely to help you
Old 30 January 2006, 10:59 AM
HowiesPreza
Scooby Regular

Location: Whitley Bay the Falaraki of the North! sold CTR bought another scooby, got refund after legal battle

It's another money making scheme mate - they'll get you anyway they can - try giving them a ring - maybe you'll get lucky and the person on the phone cancels the fee's for you but don't bank on it! I was 1 day late applying for an accountancy exam last year - exam fee was £36 charged me £81 for being late! and to do what exactley! Work only reinbursed me for the exam fee .

I hope they are understanding with you matey and see it as a genuine mistake, problem is there are too many dodgers trying to beat the system and everyone gets tarred with the same brush.
Old 30 January 2006, 11:02 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Phone them - explain calmly it was an oversight - Offer to pay the Novembers payment now - sorted.

Obviously a few choice words in between will see them cancelling court costs.
Old 30 January 2006, 11:04 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

lol I just hope they do cancel the court costs, surely if its gotten this far someone will want paying for the letter
Old 30 January 2006, 11:04 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

p.s. think now is a good time to just set up a Direct Debit and be done with it...lol

Trending Topics

Old 30 January 2006, 11:09 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
lol I just hope they do cancel the court costs, surely if its gotten this far someone will want paying for the letter
If you have as much to say on the phone as you do here then you might even get a 12 month rebate.
Old 30 January 2006, 11:11 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

hey, I only see a few posts between us. OK Im edging it but you must jabber on just as much
Old 30 January 2006, 11:12 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

hey, I only see a few posts between us. OK Im edging it but you must jabber on just as much
Post count means fúck all!! It's the content.
Old 30 January 2006, 11:13 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Ask them if they sent the reminder recorded delivery because you have not received it and that you in no way intended to avoid the payment anyway as is obvious since you have paid the leater instalments. Offer them the November instalment of course.

I think it is disgraceful that they are trying to rook you for those charges as well,

Les
Old 30 January 2006, 02:15 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

All done. Rang them explained he interrupted and said cancelled, paid and all is fine now. Although I then had a moan that I apparently ignored the reminder which I never even recieved. He said yeah we never sent you one as we was going to do but then you made a payment (decembers) which they used for Novembers money, and now theyre chasing decembers money So WTF you chasing me with court summons then, surely a reminder letter should have been sent

The good news is that we've een overpaying all year though so we hardly owed anything on the Novembers payment to get us back into line. Great, Im allowed to overpay for a whole year without anything being said but the secondi miss a payment by accident I get a frigging court summons
Old 30 January 2006, 02:31 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

which council is this?
Old 30 January 2006, 02:32 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

South Kesteven District Council....
Old 30 January 2006, 02:40 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Told you that you'd get a rebate.
Old 30 January 2006, 02:44 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

had to shut me up somehow
Old 31 January 2006, 12:57 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Glad they admitted their inefficiency at least, not very impressive though is it.

Les
Old 31 January 2006, 01:48 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

As per #12 your payments are not related to a particular month. AIUI the last payment you made was in October, so they haven't heard from you for 3 months How would you feel if someone defaulted some money they owed for 3 months?

Your payments have covered Nov / Dec, you've only got Jan + Feb then payment holiday for 2 months Cheer up.
Old 31 January 2006, 02:08 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

who says they havent heard from me in 3 months? did you bother reading what I wrote? I have been making payments since November that I missed... they have heard from me....
Old 31 January 2006, 05:01 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

How could I reply without reading what you wrote You said
I missed paying Novembers installment. Payed Decembers and paid Januarys payment first thing this morning.
I read it as you paid Dec and Jan this morning, presumably you meant you paid Dec on time? I apologise for any confusion.

Your 'Dec' payment covered Nov so you are only really one month late, so a bit harsh of them. Glad it's all sorted
Old 31 January 2006, 07:41 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

someone i know has been paying every payment each month as requested, but on different days, but always within the month required and ended up getting a summons for non payment!!

so armed with receipts for all payments made, went off to court to prove them wrong but they didnt back down and said it was because the payment isnt received on a set date within the month!!

WTF???? they are still getting it on time just maybe paid on the 10th one month and the 23rd the next! I cant see the problem but my friend still had to pay the court costs etc
Old 31 January 2006, 10:37 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I don't understand why everyone doesn't pay these bills by direct debit? It's like the water - you get a massive bill every 6 months which comes as a shock. Pay by DD and you hardly notice it.

Sometimes you even get a discount - but not from theiving councils
Old 31 January 2006, 10:41 PM
Hayden
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Leslie
Ask them if they sent the reminder recorded delivery because you have not received it and that you in no way intended to avoid the payment anyway as is obvious since you have paid the leater instalments. Offer them the November instalment of course.

I think it is disgraceful that they are trying to rook you for those charges as well,

Les

I agree with Les.
Old 31 January 2006, 10:44 PM
Al Coholic
Scooby Regular

Great start to the week.....

Received a letter today for a court summons. Aparently we missed a payment on the council tax, we pay £86 a month and I usually do it online Looking back through my email reciepts it looks like I missed paying Novembers installment. Payed Decembers and paid Januarys payment first thing this morning. Not heard anythng from the council reminding us off missing a payment etc. Now I have a court summons coming through my frigging letter box saying Ive missed payment and ignored the reminder (wtf, I didnt get a reminder) and now I have to go to court on the 16th of February

I can get out of this by paying the £30 court fees and the court charges of £68. plus the £86 installment that Ive missed fromt he council. so basically £180 to cancel it. I dont mind paying the missed council tax, it was a genuine oversight thats never happened before. I must have been away over that period and forgot to pay it. Honest mistake, willing to accept that, but surely made to pay an extra £100 ontop for that is abit harsh isnt it? PLus the reminder letter never turned up, but surely they should send you 2? At least for th fact that your gonna get at very least one before theyre taking you to court....

So where do I stand, if I ring the council this afternoon and have a moan and offer to pay the missed month will they cancel the other charges as I feel like Im being treated a little harsh, I know its only £100 but even so. £100 Id rather have in my bl00dy pocket and not them rip off bassas. Dont even get given Wheelie bins round here, tight ar$e ba$tards

Is this the right time to mention an earlier conversation i had with you...

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showpost....9&postcount=53

I stand by my comments.
Old 31 January 2006, 11:36 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

What comments are you standing by? presuming somebodys debts? is that it?

If you say so

Whats your point?

Who are you? A regular with a pathetic name cause you dont want to say something under your "respected" name?

Sound like a presumtious **** to me and there are many on here

Last edited by davegtt; 31 January 2006 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01 February 2006, 12:33 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

@Clarebabes

1. Put the money in the building society so that you get the interest before you pay the bill.
2. Electricity / gas companies always overestimate the monthly payment so you lose out and have to claim back the extra.
3. Some companies charge extra for paying monthly.
4. You need a joint bank account if more than one person shares the payment.
5. The onus is on you to cancel the agreement if you stop receiving the service, otherwise the company just keeps taking. A friend of mine hardly paid any gas bill for 12 months because the dopey previous tenant forgot to cancel their DD.
6. Not trusting the state of your finances as money is pulled rather than pushed from your account.

Think thats enough for now
Old 01 February 2006, 09:42 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by speedking
@Clarebabes

1. Put the money in the building society so that you get the interest before you pay the bill.
Although you only make a few pence a year "profit", and have to waste time posting, visiting or phoning your payment through.

2. Electricity / gas companies always overestimate the monthly payment so you lose out and have to claim back the extra.
So LIE on your estimated reading

3. Some companies charge extra for paying monthly.
These are usually companies that would normally take an annual payment UP FRONT - so by paying monthly you are saving money.

4. You need a joint bank account if more than one person shares the payment.
Or you just trust one another

5. The onus is on you to cancel the agreement if you stop receiving the service, otherwise the company just keeps taking. A friend of mine hardly paid any gas bill for 12 months because the dopey previous tenant forgot to cancel their DD.
So DD is a BENEFIT according to your anecdote (unless you yourself are dopey)

6. Not trusting the state of your finances as money is pulled rather than pushed from your account.
Lots of protection on DDs, in particular via third parties (i.e. your bank)

Think thats enough for now
I am glad you think so

mb