Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave review Drop The Bomb III "Activate Your Core" 20/1/6

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2006, 10:03 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Rave review Drop The Bomb III "Activate Your Core" 20/1/6

Now in it fourth incarnation, Drop the Bomb has seen as steady increase in both quality and attendance since its first event. IIRC I have been to every single one of them since they have started up and have been consistantly impressed with each one I've attended.

This next event, subtitled "Activate your core" was yet another contunation of the event's music policy. Only the PROPER Hardcore need apply and that was with regard to DJs as well as ravers. In the music department, things were more than covered, with Promo, Pressuehead, Simon Underground, Nekro and The DJ Producer all headlining in the main arena.

As well as that, the welcome return of Section 63 to hose the Acid and Tribal Techno room was also making me feel damp. Veterans of the free party circuit, their in house DJs and the likes of Julian Liberator would happily take care of the ravers wanting a break from the Hardcore.

If that weren't enough, then to top it off, the whole thing was kicking off at somewhere I seem to be spending a lot of time these days, Hidden in Vauxhall. This place has more than a few things going for it which make it a pleasure to rave at, even if its plushness made it a slightly odd choice, given the music that awaited.

It all saw me pitch into The Rose, the pub opposite the venue, where I was meeting up with a few friends before making my way accross the road. As pre rave pints were drunk and a flurry of texts were went and received, a steady stream of ravers could be seen passing the pub, queuing up, then going into the party. It was looking good and it hadn't even started yet.

Eventually a collective decision was made to get on with it so we got ourselves into the queue and after a brief search and sorting out entry wih the friendly staff on the door, we were in.

Of the famillar triple arches that make up Hidden, only two were in use tonight. The Main arena was well underway, and the middle bar arena was just as forthcoming, with Section 63 getting off to an early start as the acid techno flowed. After getting a can in and sorting out my earplugs, I went into the main room.

I can remember the last time this event touched down here and it was an action relay of that time., with a distinctly murky feel to the place, together with an occasional light piercing the gloom. Best of all, the place was nicely full already and the ravers in the place were already getting down to business.

The music was what really stood out for me at this point. I was expecting Hardcore all the way, but was pleasently surprised to fine Woesteman was supplying only the finest early rave tunage money could buy. You could forget about your distorted kicks, they could wait, this set was all about the bouncier side to things, however, the DJ made a point of keeping it dark as well as old skool.

Next up was a Dj who was to remain nameless, but one thing that was obvious to me was the continuted lack of Nu style. Another hour free from modern Hardcore was not what I expected, but what I did like was the way he made his set an onward progression of the previous one. That said, the specifics of what he acutally played were lost on me, but the varying BPMs, from the more sedate stuff at the start, right through to full on speedcore at the end, made of a very enjoyable hour, especially as he kept it firmly entrenched in the underground throughout.

After the preceeding DJ had vacated the decks, the one like DJ Promo took his place. After two hours on the dancefloor, he relented a little way into his set and finally the nu style was upon us. This had the desired result and the place went off as the distorted kicks rained down. The main arena was rammed out at this point, with ravers from accross Europe and beyond making their presence felt. This was a multinational effort and everyone chipped in. As a result, the place was a sea of Moshing, Dancing, Stomping, Hakkuh-ing (is that a word? guess it is now) and raving.

With Promo rounding off his set with some feirce tunes such as "Chaos Bringer" and "**** you **** that", it was the turn of a UK DJ to take over. First up, Producer. I've seen this guy before and his attention to detail and sheerworkload he undertakes behind the decks was definitely something to behold. However, the one thing that did erk me from previous sets was the lack of a steadfast kickdrum to dance to.

No such problems this time though, cos not only were the tunes allowed to run their course, but the music itself was varied, underground and hard as nails. the sound system itself, while not as loud as the one used for DTBIII, was more than up for the task and really in its stride at this time. Producer put it to the test without mercy. The mansized bass which was forthcoming, rattled my chest cavity (always a good sign) and shook the ground as the Hardcore stomped their guts out to Producer's set.

And what a set it was too. Like I said, nice and varied, with breakcore mingling with UK Hardcore Techno, which itself rubbed shoulders with the Gabba. I was too busy going for it to the music to remember a great number of specifics, however "Welcome to the system" and a rip of a Snoop Dogg tune do stick out as personal highlights.

Next up was a DJ who I eventually found out to be Pressurehead. However, his name was pretty far down on what I was interested in when he took over, that cos, for sheer entertainment, he wins set of the night.

For starters, the BPMs, which were left sky high by the recently departed Producer, were taken right down and pressurehead's obvious talents were pushed to the forefront. Most notably in the shape of some of the best turntablism I've seen for quite a while.

Tunes with an abundance of stickers on the vinyl were brought forth and Pressurehead got to work. It actually brought the atmosphere down a little when he was getting busy, but the only reason that happened was becuase everyone stopped dancing and watched the man at work.

You name it, he was up to it. Scratching for england, with really complex crossfader stuff as well as keeping it to the left and juddering the vinyl so fast his finger was a blur. It was a seriously impressive display and broke the evening up nicely as well.

It broke the evening up cos once the turntablism was over, it was back to the filth with avengence. Not only that, but as the set progressed, the BPMs were gradually wicked up until they were as fast and progressive as the preceeding set. Nice rifft stuff too, (my personal favourite)with 99% of them easily eluding me, but a Hard remix of "6million ways" getting dropped was more than appreciated.

for the 4-5 set, it was time for a change. I had spent too long in the main room and not nearly enough time in the company of the Section 63 crew. This needed to be changed pronto, with the next set being the first available opportunity.

I have a lot of time for these guys and in particular, Rhythm Logistics, who was on the decks and working the crowdwhen I got into the second room. No messing about here, this was what I had changed rooms for and I weren't dissapointed. Acid Techno all the way, a totally new experience (with regard to tunes I recognised - none) and seriously underground to boot.

I spent the next hour in 'Logistics capable hands, being taken on a Techno led journey. I actually remember very little of the specifics of this set, but I was going for it throughout. The notion of taking it easy in preperation for the final hour in the main room went straight out the window as I zoned into the music and zoned out of my surroundings. As such, it was 5am before I knew it.

The music from the pair of unknown (to me) DJs on the decks for the last hour of the night was proabably the darkest of the night as well. With my first introduction to minimalist being thrust upon me, I have to say I quite like it. However, time was conspiring against me and I knew it. So, with some reluctance, I dusted about 20 minutes early, leaving the Hardcore in the place to finish what the Train Timetable wouldn't allow me to do.

Things I liked:

Music - Its a given fact that there is going to be some serious music when when you go to Drop The Bomb, but if you think you're going to get a mainstream experience then you were very much mistaken. This night was proper underground and nothing but.

Progression - Not only was the night Dark and Obscure, but it was nicely structured as well. Starting off with some nice early stuff before moving into the Nu-style and Speedcore later on. Patience was a virtue on the dancefloor.

Attendence - Now on its fourth event, Drop The Bomb has built up a solid fan base, most of which were there on the night. Main Dancefloor was rammed all night with an up for it party crew in the place. ******** free too, which is always a bonus.

Attendence Pt. II - Not only was the place nice and busy, but there were a lot of friends in the crowd, ranging from those who are out every week, to those I haven't seen for far to long.

Section 63 - Always nice to see these guys doing the second room. Acid Techno all the way and seriously enjoyable when I managed to tear myself away from the main room.

Subtitle - "Activate Your Core" Best Tagline I've heard for quite a while.

Things I liked less:

Toilets - The girls toilets backed up at about 1am, forcing the blokes outside if they wanted a **** and 1 in 1 out system in place thereafter. Bouncer controlled of course.

Water fountain - I like this, but what I liked less was being told I couldnt fill my water bottle up from it. However, I could get a glass of water from the bar whenever I wanted. What may I ask is the point? Apart from massaging the bouncer's sense of meglomania, that is.

However, these small points in no way detracted from a very good night out. Very good indeed. There are not a lot of events like this about and as such I always make time to go to one when they come around, mostly becuase of its totally unique music policy.

The promoter has musical scruples and he don't compromise them for anybody. The net restult is an underground event, with music and following to match. I actually found this review quite hard to write, for no other reason than I didn't have a clue what was playing all night long. 95% of the night's music was a total mystery to me.

And so it should be. The more raves like DTB the better. However, its a solid fact that too few events are this innovative, but if it means I just have to keep going back to Drop The Bomb then I'm sure I'll be able to cope. More to the point, thats exactly what I'm going to do until the promoter runs out of ideas, but I doubt thats going to happen anytime soon. I'll see you at the next one.
astraboy.