Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Which safari?

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2006, 09:29 PM
Thomas Wainwright
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which safari?

We're looking at going on a safari in a few months, a kind of holiday with a difference.

Has anyone got any thoughts on where to go and the best people to book through?

The budget is likely to be up to £6000.
Old 25 January 2006, 09:33 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I have used the adventure company for a trip to the Amazon in the past. I recommended them to a friend who has just come back from Everest base camp ...... We both thought the trips were superb and the adventure company did all we expected of them plus much much more.

http://www.adventurecompany.co.uk/

Gary

Edited to say I have also been to the safari park just outside Nairobo and it wasn't much cop, Mount Kenya park is ok though.
Old 26 January 2006, 08:38 AM
Thomas Wainwright
Scooby Regular

Thanks.

Anyone else from Scoobyland been?
Old 26 January 2006, 09:25 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I did the Amazon adventure one. It was brilliant, very much back to basics but with a difference. Sleeping in hammocks on river boats, sleeping outside in the jungle between 2 trees (optional). Jungle walks, wildlife spotting, looking for snakes, and finding them gulp.......very very remote places. Swimming in pirannha infested water then 10 mins later fishing to catch them for dinner.
Spectacular waterfalls, catching those little green and red poison arrow frogs, canoeing looking for annaconda. Constantly on the move either by 4 wheel drive, on foot or boat.
Small group of 7 of us, plus the adventure company guide, with local guides ready and waiting at each port of call ......

17 excellent days and all for around £1400..............No-where to spend money either which was nice.

Gonna do another one as soon as i can.

Gary
Old 26 January 2006, 09:47 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Know a couple friend who've been to leopard creek in south africa, just on the edge of the Kruger national park. Not sure if they do Safari's but well worth a look and i'm sure they would!!

Gav.
Old 26 January 2006, 09:56 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Been on safari twice now in Kenya and although it is interesting and gets you out the house they are pretty boring, unless the animals are active which under the African summer sun they tend not to be, so you don't usually get to see the interesting animals, unless you are lucky. TBH you see more at teh safari park/zoo than you do on safari. The only advantage is that you get to see more of them and in the wild when you go to Africa. Whole heard sof elephants, zebra, etc and not just one or two.
Old 26 January 2006, 10:45 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Echo Wurzels thoughts plus if a lion does make a kill within 10 mins there are 10 vehicles watching the feast. It kind of detracts from it somehow.

Much better off in the middle of the Amazon 100's of miles from anything and anyone.