Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any firemen here?

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2006, 06:17 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any firemen here?

The top of our chimney has been blocked off and due to the awkward nature of it, it's almost impossible to get ladders up to it in order to remove the covering - so no open fire for me unless I can get up there.

Being a tight was as well, I've had the idea of getting the local fire service to come out with a tender for some 'training' in return for contribution to their Christmas fund. Reckon they'd go for it? If so, who do I contact? If not, any bright ideas as to how to get to the top without scaffolding without spending too much hard earned?
Old 23 January 2006, 06:21 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't ring up the FireStation if you want a Fireman ..... ring the Local Pizza Place, the Landscape Gardener or the DVD Hire Outlet - you'll find them all there on their 2nd jobs!!

You could well walk to the station and find one playing Darts, Pool or a Playstation Game ......... but, he will have to 'call in' the others out on their proper jobs!!

Pete
Old 23 January 2006, 06:44 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Depends what sort of area you live in, if the firemen are ful timers, then i doubt they'd be interested, but 'if' they're retained, then they might be, but these days what with risk assesment and H&S taking over the world, it might not be that simple......
Old 23 January 2006, 06:59 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Under no circumstances contact the local station and ask any of the senior officers. As a rule they are ***** (always exceptions) and will not allow any training on sites that have not been approved by the union.
You would have more joy stopping one of the wagons and hope to speak to a decent gaffer. How high up is it? Is it on a main road? Could you not get a cat or something and throw it on the chimney and call the RSPCA who in turn will call us out.
If you speak to a decent gaffer then you could have a chance but they are becoming few and far between.
Pete, unfortunately part of the new pay deal was a new work routine which has resulted in less pool and playstation time
Old 23 January 2006, 07:07 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Not on a main road, just a relatively quiet lane. I did think of pretending I had a fire and then bribing them to do the chimney but thought better of it.
Old 23 January 2006, 07:54 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just light a powerful fire in the grate? You haven't cleaned the chimney for ages, you set the chimney alight, et voilà, genuine reason to call

Tip - do NOT try this if you happen to live in a wooden house I did, and it wasn't very nice
Old 24 January 2006, 12:27 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

PSL,

You are an ****!

Les
Old 24 January 2006, 03:30 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Will a roof ladder reach it? If so you can hire them. Just don't do a Rod Hull

Call your local fire station and ask to have a Home Fire Risk Assessment done. All brigades now do them. It's free and you get a smoke alarm with a ten year battery in it.
In all probability a fire engine will turn up to do it.
Offer them tea, coffee and biscuits. As long as the house isn't minging they will always accept.
Now this is by far the most important bit.

Make sure you have a sexy female on the property.

You now have a captive audience who aren't in a rush to go anywhere.
Now get her to ask the question
Old 24 January 2006, 03:38 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you are going down the "intervention is a failure" line as well mate.
Old 24 January 2006, 03:46 PM
ben1413
Scooby Regular

The new pay deal did indeed mean a change in our working routines. More community fire safety and less trainging for the job we actually do?!

Now the government are after our pensions whilst ring fencing the ambulance and police pension schemes.

The union DO NOT have to approve any off-station training at all. We're always out training at different sites so we get more hands on experience in varying situations.

FlatCab - depends how pally you are with your local station? It's worth a go, the worst is that they say no.

Ben
Old 24 January 2006, 04:08 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Must be a local agreement we have as we can only train at approved sites.
Old 24 January 2006, 04:12 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PG
Must be a local agreement we have as we can only train at approved sites.
Ditto must have been risk assessed and have a certificate of indemnity in case of accidents.
Old 24 January 2006, 04:24 PM
ben1413
Scooby Regular

A risk assessment must be carried out, but that's it.

Wasn't aware of the local agreements. Hampshire seem pretty relaxed about it. As long as we meet our fitting of smoke detectors targets, they don't mind!!

Ben
Old 24 January 2006, 05:05 PM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

Save wasting the emergency services time and just call your local friendly aerial installer (or sky man), they have roof ladders and are always after a bit of cash in hand.

Where are you? I may know one
Old 24 January 2006, 05:25 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Why not just light a powerful fire in the grate? You haven't cleaned the chimney for ages, you set the chimney alight, et voilà, genuine reason to call

Tip - do NOT try this if you happen to live in a wooden house I did, and it wasn't very nice
Partly wrong and partly right! The chimney was cleaned last year which is how I found out about the top being blocked off so in terms of a chimney fire, it's unlikely to happen. However, the second storey is timber framed and clad so I'd probably replicate your experience.

The reason I've though of the Fire Brigade is because even the Sky bloke struggled to attach the aerial to the chimney which is why I think it's either them or a cherry picker although I may put the wife to work as she loves uniforms, particularly the Fire Service ones.

Old 24 January 2006, 06:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
PSL,

You are an ****!

Les
Well, that contributed the usual Leslie crap to the thread!!

Pete
Old 25 January 2006, 12:39 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I personally would not post such unpleasant criticism of a service which is prepared to risk their lives to save others.

PSL, you are the one spouting the crap of course. On second thoughts I should have added "RNC" as well.

Les