Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

House prices near wind farms?

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2006, 09:47 PM
ricardo_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default House prices near wind farms?

They are thinking of building a wind farm 4km from my house, will this effect the value of my property?

Anyone had any experiance of this elsewhere in the UK?
Old 19 January 2006, 10:48 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ricardo_wrx
They are thinking of building a wind farm 4km from my house, will this effect the value of my property?

Anyone had any experiance of this elsewhere in the UK?
The noise they make is HORRENDOUS!!!

Sell NOW!!!

Pete
Old 20 January 2006, 12:07 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

4 km? I wouldn't worry too much. I would be surprised if you even know it is there.
Old 20 January 2006, 12:09 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
4 km? I wouldn't worry too much. I would be surprised if you even know it is there.
Yeah, thats right, they are practically invisible!!!!

Pete
Old 20 January 2006, 12:19 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

erm Pete - you mentioned noise - you being the engineering type you can enlighten us to how a device with a typical noise of 50dB at 200 meters will sound 'horrendous' at 4000m ?
Old 20 January 2006, 12:30 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

correct me if I am wrong, but iirc dB level drops by 6 every time you double the distance, and the 50dB limit is measured outdoors, with a typical building dropping the level by a further 10dB. - That would leave the sound level at something around 14 dB in Ricardo's living room. What makes 14dB worth of noise? SOmeone breathing?
Old 20 January 2006, 12:33 AM
oik
BANNED

Originally Posted by pslewis
Yeah, thats right, they are practically invisible!!!!

Pete
What about house prices near windbags?
Old 20 January 2006, 12:38 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

evening Oik - you get settled in OK?
Old 20 January 2006, 12:40 AM
oik
BANNED

Yes, no thanks to being led a merry dance by you!

DIY
Old 20 January 2006, 12:49 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

I wanted to give you a chance to have a nice quiet sit down to gather your thoughts
Old 20 January 2006, 12:52 AM
oik
BANNED

I gathered dust!

Apologies for going slightly off track!

http://www.rics.org/NR/rdonlyres/662...inalreport.pdf
Old 20 January 2006, 09:07 AM
ricardo_wrx
Scooby Regular

very good guys! lol luckily for me i obtained the planning pack with the environmental survey on noise, views, wildlife etc.
All very interesting if your a badger living on the site...........
Old 20 January 2006, 09:11 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

very good guys! lol luckily for me i obtained the planning pack with the environmental survey on noise, views, wildlife etc.
All very interesting if your a badger living on the site...........
Do you also get special treatment if you have a beaver in the bedroom

Pete
Old 20 January 2006, 09:23 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I am thinking of going for a mini turbine for the house, something that will generate about 5kw. Before I commit to buying I will do a 1 year survey to see if wind levels are sufficient. The noise levels from these small turbines are extremely low. 30metres away the noise generated is as low ar 10-15db, virtually silent
Old 20 January 2006, 01:55 PM
ricardo_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
I am thinking of going for a mini turbine for the house, something that will generate about 5kw. Before I commit to buying I will do a 1 year survey to see if wind levels are sufficient. The noise levels from these small turbines are extremely low. 30metres away the noise generated is as low ar 10-15db, virtually silent
The problem may be the HUGE batteries that you will need to keep the power! Where do you buy such a thing from? Argos?
Old 20 January 2006, 02:40 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The problem may be the HUGE batteries that you will need to keep the power! Where do you buy such a thing from? Argos?
ERRRr no you feed it back into the national grid and watch your electric meter go backwards
Old 20 January 2006, 06:27 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Using the manufacturers data from a recent installation in which I was involved in objecting too the sound pressure level at 80 meters from the turbine hub was quoted as 108.7dB(A). This is certainly far from virtually silent and clearly the manufacturer has every reason to make this figure appear as small and as appealing as possible.

If you treat the turbine as a point source (a slightly flawed treatment) and only consider an individual turbine (they usually come in flocks) then someone standing 320m from the turbine will exceed the Health and Safety action level at which employers have to take action and at which hearing damage is expected to occur in just 32 minutes.

Clearly different turbines will produce different SPLs but you wouldn't want to be within, literally, a mile of these ones if you wanted to keep your hearing. At your distance you might be OK but you'd still want to be careful.

Also, remember that the environmental survey is written by the people wishing to build the turbines. It may not be as fair and balanced as a result.
Old 20 January 2006, 11:04 PM
spufus
Scooby Regular

These are very near my land.

I've never heard a thing.

Ovenden Moor, West Yorkshire

OS co-ordinates: SE 043 309

Yorkshire Windpower Ltd is a 50/50 joint venture between Powergen Renewables and EPRL. Under this partnership, two wind farms, Royd Moor and Ovenden Moor, are operated by Powergen Renewables in Coventry.

Ovenden Moor wind farm comprises 23 turbines with a maximum total output of 9.2 MW. The wind farm is located on Hollin Hill, near to Warley Moor reservoir, at a height of about 440 m above sea level, approximately 5 km north west of Halifax and close to the village of Wainstalls.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bradford/360/ve..._ovenden.shtml
Old 23 January 2006, 08:54 AM
ricardo_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spufus
These are very near my land.

I've never heard a thing.

Ovenden Moor, West Yorkshire

OS co-ordinates: SE 043 309

Yorkshire Windpower Ltd is a 50/50 joint venture between Powergen Renewables and EPRL. Under this partnership, two wind farms, Royd Moor and Ovenden Moor, are operated by Powergen Renewables in Coventry.

Ovenden Moor wind farm comprises 23 turbines with a maximum total output of 9.2 MW. The wind farm is located on Hollin Hill, near to Warley Moor reservoir, at a height of about 440 m above sea level, approximately 5 km north west of Halifax and close to the village of Wainstalls.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bradford/360/ve..._ovenden.shtml
wow, thanks for the info. the more i look at the proposal, the more i think it will be fine.
Old 23 January 2006, 11:18 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

YOu must have differnet wind turbines to us in Germany then! considering I have stood under the one that over looks the Bayern Munich football stadium and could not hear a thing. Apparently the only noise you can hear from it is on particularly windy days when the blade make a chopping sound as they spin round. However they need to be spinning pretty fast to make any serious noise, a slight wooshing noise perhaps but nowt to right home about.

I would get your UK ones checked if they are making over 100db
Old 23 January 2006, 11:28 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

This is the type of product I was looking at

spec sheets http://www.provenenergy.co.uk/images...ifications.pdf

Andy
Old 23 January 2006, 03:39 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=hedgehog]Using the manufacturers data from a recent installation in which I was involved in objecting too the sound pressure level at 80 meters from the turbine hub was quoted as 108.7dB(A).QUOTE]

Blimey - if the maximum noise at a track day is 100db at 1 metre and a car roars past 20 feet from you making quite a noise, how many time louder must the turbine be at 1 metre for it to produce 108.7db at 240 feet?
Old 23 January 2006, 05:14 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

This a paragraph from the dti website

State-of-the-art turbines with capacities higher than 1 megawatt generally have source noise levels of between 100 and 106dBA. Therefore, a modern turbine has to be placed at a distance of between 200 and 300 metres from the receptor to reach a sound pressure level of between 45 and 50dBA.

the link is here http://www.dti.gov.uk/renewables/renew_3.5.1.3.htm
Old 24 January 2006, 08:52 AM
ricardo_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
YOu must have differnet wind turbines to us in Germany then! considering I have stood under the one that over looks the Bayern Munich football stadium and could not hear a thing. Apparently the only noise you can hear from it is on particularly windy days when the blade make a chopping sound as they spin round. However they need to be spinning pretty fast to make any serious noise, a slight wooshing noise perhaps but nowt to right home about.

I would get your UK ones checked if they are making over 100db
The problem is here in the UK is that we are all animal lovers and hate to see them homeless because of some giant windmills! Not to metion our obsession with health & safety! You can't go for a **** in this country anymore with out filling in a risk assesment form!
Old 24 January 2006, 07:19 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mad_dr
Blimey - if the maximum noise at a track day is 100db at 1 metre and a car roars past 20 feet from you making quite a noise, how many time louder must the turbine be at 1 metre for it to produce 108.7db at 240 feet?
It must be said that I was amazed at this figure as well and it may not be typical for all wind turbines, however it was the manufacturers figure as quoted in the environmental survey by the people wishing to put the turbines up so I would be pretty sure they had no reason to inflate the figure and I would have expected to have seen a correction if they had made a mistake. Needless to say noise is one of the major sources of objection.

That figure is quoted at 80m from the hub and for every doubling of distance you get a decrease in SPL of 6dB assuming a standard hemispherical model based upon a point source. Of course the turbine isn't quite a point source which is what complicates the issue and, in some cases, allows them to tweak the figures a little.

There was no indication of the spectrum of the noise produced but, clearly, the A weighting should give a good indication of its apparent loudness no matter what the spectrum.