Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

SCART Connectors

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2006, 02:19 PM
Group Captain Smudger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCART Connectors

Are the gold plated ones appreciably better than the half price bog standard types? I'm thinking £7.95 versus £3.95.

Cheers.
Old 18 January 2006, 02:23 PM
V1CK1
Scooby Regular

Yes
Old 18 January 2006, 02:28 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Depends...if it uses the same crappy wires and poor sheilding...it'll suffer as much crosstalk and signal loss as the £3.99 ones. And still with the poor quality solder joints to boot, and the connecter will still lever itself out the back when ever you disturb your DVD player more than 1"

The only thing the gold does is look pretty and ensure a slight better connection between the cable and the socket.

(but the socket on your TV/DVD is very rarely gold plated...if anyone has bothered to look...could argue that the gold may cause corrosion of the connctors due to the "battery effect" of two different metals )

Which is why I say build your own...as the £50 monster ones aren't "that" much better either.
Old 18 January 2006, 02:33 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Interconnects aren't anywhere near as important as speaker cables. As was once said, "The best type of interconnect is one which reaches". You *might* detect some difference from a gold SCART, but i doubt it. But at £8, i'd take the gold ones anyway just for their improved resistance to tarnishing, if you're not the sort of person who cleans their connections regularly.
Old 18 January 2006, 03:25 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

I realise that you have expensive hi-fi tastes, Tel, but I found that upgrading my interconnects made a bigger difference than the speaker cables.

I was convinced that my upgraded interconnects had made a difference and conducted a blind test with a friend and CDs of his choice. Each time, he identified whether I was using the upgraded interconnects or the cheap and crappy ones. We described the difference as "a more precise stereo image". When asked exactly where Mr Hendrix's guitar was coming from we could point to a position and say, "There", rather than "About there" with the cheapies.

We explained this as the cheapies having poor screening which led to crosstalk between the channels. If some right channel signal is fed to the left channel this will muddy the stereo image so there seemed to be some plausible science behind our findings.

Our thoughts on the speaker cable upgrade was that if you are already using low impedance cable then upgraded speaker cable isn't going to give a huge benefit.
Old 18 January 2006, 03:33 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Fair enough, Douglas, but it does go against the findings of the majority of people in the industry. Sure, a decent interconnect over bellwire will reap benefits, but beyond a surprisingly low point, futher improvements are often hard to detect. Case in point, for what it's worth - my Levinson DAC and transport operate superbly on a £150 optical connector, better than with audio connectors costing thousands. Weird but true.

If you've not gained much improvement from speaker cable then i'm honestly astonished - over the years i've come round to the opinion that everything from the amp forward, ie the speaker cable and speakers themselves, have a bigger influence on the overall performance than any other single component. Yes all systems are different, but that is also the opinion of many others, for what that's worth. But i guess it's these differences in opinion that keep the hobby alive...
Old 18 January 2006, 03:53 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Is this better as in a more pure sound, or just more colouration, Tel?
Old 18 January 2006, 04:20 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Interconnects aren't anywhere near as important as speaker cables. As was once said, "The best type of interconnect is one which reaches". You *might* detect some difference from a gold SCART, but i doubt it. But at £8, i'd take the gold ones anyway just for their improved resistance to tarnishing, if you're not the sort of person who cleans their connections regularly.

I changed my speaker cables the other week from 1.5mm twin and earth, with loose connections and oxidised ends, to 6mm/80 strand high temperature industrial 3 core cooker cable, with the spare core left unconnected.

It didn't make a blind bit of difference.
Old 18 January 2006, 04:35 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
I changed my speaker cables the other week from 1.5mm twin and earth, with loose connections and oxidised ends, to 6mm/80 strand high temperature industrial 3 core cooker cable, with the spare core left unconnected.

You'd probably notice that it did make a difference if you ran the two lots of cable side by side and then compared the two of them.

Chip
Old 18 January 2006, 04:37 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy

I *am* still going to do it you know!!
Old 18 January 2006, 04:39 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

I did...I did the speakers on the right hand side first. I even switched my amp to mono, and just changed between right and left with the balance.
Old 18 January 2006, 04:55 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Gold is a better conductor than copper /aluminium, but you shouldnt mix metals that make contact with each other as there can be a reaction, making the actual electrical contact worse. So use the same metal contacts. Scart leads cost as low as 89p fully wired, but disconnect the unused pins so you dont get cross talk or pay for fully individual screened leads

Andy
Old 18 January 2006, 04:58 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Is there not some kind of anti oxidisng paste for this ?. We put vaseline on lead-acid battery posts to stop them furring up on generators, would this work?
Old 18 January 2006, 05:01 PM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
If you've not gained much improvement from speaker cable then i'm honestly astonished - over the years i've come round to the opinion that everything from the amp forward, ie the speaker cable and speakers themselves, have a bigger influence on the overall performance than any other single component. Yes all systems are different, but that is also the opinion of many others, for what that's worth. But i guess it's these differences in opinion that keep the hobby alive...
thats interesting, ive always come from the other side, improvements to my source components and interconnects have always reaped the most benefits.
but, like you said we all have different opinions, and of course hearing
have you tried any of these products in your system, telboy..
http://www.isoteksystems.com/index.asp ive recently put a mini-sub vision in mine and the improvements are startling. worth borrowing off your local dealer and having a play
Old 18 January 2006, 05:14 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
Gold is a better conductor than copper /aluminium, but you shouldnt mix metals that make contact with each other as there can be a reaction, making the actual electrical contact worse. So use the same metal contacts. Scart leads cost as low as 89p fully wired, but disconnect the unused pins so you dont get cross talk or pay for fully individual screened leads

Andy
That's a slight over simplification: http://www.terrific-scientific.co.uk...orrosion-7.htm
Old 18 January 2006, 06:00 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

One day I may be arsed to check to see if the nickel connectors on the scart sockets of my TV has gone green
Old 18 January 2006, 07:07 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

£1 in the Poundshop ............ why pay more!?

Fools and their money ..............

Ah, well, MORE for me

Pete
Old 19 January 2006, 09:56 PM
Nick100
Scooby Regular

Tesco's gold plated SCART cables - about £3.50 !!
Old 19 January 2006, 11:01 PM
rhybeck
Scooby Regular

scart is old hat

h.d.m.i !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

use what hifi / tv dvd mag guide for the lo down
Old 19 January 2006, 11:18 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've got a QED RGB scart that set me back 70 quid. Much better that the freebie that came with the Home Cinema set, but probably not quite 70 quids worth though.

Suresh
Old 19 January 2006, 11:21 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

£70!!!!!

Could I interest you in a piece of Iceberg real estate??

One born every minute!!

Pete
Old 19 January 2006, 11:25 PM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

Get down to your local poundland/pound shop and get em from there.....
Old 19 January 2006, 11:28 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by pslewis
£70!!!!!

Could I interest you in a piece of Iceberg real estate??

One born every minute!!

Pete
70 quid isn't a lot of money.
If you spend a grand on the cinema set and the same again on a quality crt, then why would you skimp to save some pennies on the connections between them?
Old 19 January 2006, 11:32 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Because it's a CON!!!!!!!

You are a MUG!!!!

Been taken for a ride mate!!

Pete
Old 20 January 2006, 12:19 AM
rhybeck
Scooby Regular

if you have the 10k to spend on a system your not going to link it up with bargin bin leads are u

if u say he is a mug what do u base that on are u a audiophile

im sure other people would call us scooby owners mugs 4 spending the money we do on our cars but what do they know ??
Old 20 January 2006, 09:14 AM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Pete - I realise that as you get older, your hearing deteriorates. Obviously yours has deteriorated to the point where your hi-fi system sounds like a wind-up gramophone with a dog looking down the horn.

You're right. If your hearing is that bad then a quality interconnect cable will make no difference to you so a cheapo from "Pikeys 'R' Us" will be fine for you.

Meanwhile, for the rest of us whose ears still work.....
Old 20 January 2006, 09:28 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

There is an awful lot of crap talked about gizzmos for hi-fi. Much of it is emperor's clothing. Some of the more way out of them have been challenged to put up or shut up by JREF and for some reason they shy away from DBCT and the chance to win $1 million.

Under most circumstances most people won't notice any difference in thier home where chances are the acoustics of the room have a far bigger impact on ruining the sound than the fancy bits have on trying to maintain it.
Old 20 January 2006, 12:56 PM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Because it's a CON!!!!!!!

You are a MUG!!!!

Been taken for a ride mate!!

Pete
what do you base it being a con on? when you compared the different priced cables did you not notice any improvements?
Old 20 January 2006, 01:02 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by stormyuklondon1
have you tried any of these products in your system, telboy..
http://www.isoteksystems.com/index.asp ive recently put a mini-sub vision in mine and the improvements are startling. worth borrowing off your local dealer and having a play

I'm running a Russ Andrews Super-wotsit mains conditioner at the moment. In fact last night i had a bit of a blast, and used the opportunity to see whether i could actually tell the difference without it, since i've made a few upgrades since i installed it. And thankfully, there *is* still a difference. It's small, but it's worthwhile. Its only downside is that it hums. Not a lot, but i know it's there! I might see if i can try the Isotek one from Audiophile Candy on a sale or return basis though - just in case it's that little bit better....
Old 20 January 2006, 01:10 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Ahh, power conditioners....supplimenting and sorting out what the crappy power supply used inside your hi-fi should be doing anyway

But what do you expect when they use cheap and nasty capacitors that can't compensate for voltage ripple under load on the DC supply rails....in a £500 amplifier too

Quick Reply: SCART Connectors