Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

So how cr@p are recriutment agencies?

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2006, 07:45 PM
Aquanaut
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So how cr@p are recriutment agencies?

[rant]
You 'tick-all-the-boxes" in the advert so you send in your details.

If they contact you, then you are the perfect candidate - but you will never hear any more.

You can chase them but they still do nothing.

This must be the easiest job in the world - as they have nothing to do.

[rant over]
Old 16 January 2006, 07:48 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Yes most agencies are rubbish.

Some of the most irrelevent career opertunities offered to me have been by recruitment agencies contacting me.

Perhaps if they spent less time dressing up the jobs roles with BS descriptions and titles. Told the facts and actually bothered to looked at their candidates CV, then maybe they would have better success at finding the right person for the job
Old 16 January 2006, 08:13 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

What annoys me is that some potentially sift out good candidates for the role,

one told me the other day, i was underqualified, and my old company had just layed off more staff

both untrue,

and to really p*ss me off she told me i was greedy, and should look for a lower salary

the mind boggles

mart
Old 16 January 2006, 08:17 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Guide to dealing with agencies:

When you see the job you want, send your CV then follow up with a phone call 30 minutes later. Sell yourself, bull**** if you have to, all they'll do is forward your CV if they think you're anything like good enough. They won't pass anything you say onto the client (if they're anything like the recuitment agencies my place uses) just your CV. Once the client has your CV it's up to them whether you get called up for interview or not.
Old 16 January 2006, 08:18 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Theyre rubbish!!

I went to Manpower, Adeco, Kelly Services and Brook Street.

All but Brook Street said they would phone me back the same day i popped in. All took my cv, except Brook Street but i never heard anything back from them. I called back into Manpower recently to remind them and they again said they would phone me. Waste of space.
Old 16 January 2006, 08:31 PM
Aquanaut
Scooby Regular

This is the challenge - to get your CV past the Agency to the Company with the vacancy because they are the one whe know what they want.

You are lucky if the Agency staff have read the advert they have placed...

no way will they have ANY understanding of what the Vacancy requires

Old 16 January 2006, 09:13 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How bout the old, you need experience of xyz version 1.2.3.4 and they knock you back cos ou only have experience of xyz 1.2.3.5, even though they are 99% the same and the dft bint doesnt now what it is anyway.
Old 16 January 2006, 09:17 PM
The Rani
Scooby Regular

If they do come up with a job, it's never the one you were interested in - often nothing like it - usually cos the one that caught your eye has already gone (or is that agency speak for never existed in the first place?).
Old 16 January 2006, 09:43 PM
jamin
Scooby Regular

I had a gut full of recruitment agencies a couple of years ago, lost count of how many times I was told I was "the perfect candidate" only to hear nothing and be told "I'm sorry so and so has just popped out" when I tried calling them. However...keep at it eventually something'll turn up...Im now a manager and have great pleasure in telling the people who messed me about where to go when they approach me to see if I have any jobs going...mwahaha

Lets just hope I dont lose my job
Old 16 January 2006, 10:25 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

After several months un-employed several friedns started suggesting Agencies. I registered with 8 in total. Well sent my CV to 8.

Of the 3 to contact me and appear to be doing something.
The first, offered me a job that I didn't really want, but was happy to take. But the company was run by a numpty. He told me with great pride that he'd written his "life goals" on the window of his office! )
The second kept promising me, "just waiting to hear back, should be the end of this week beginning of next" This carried on for over 3 months. He kept offering work that was too far away to commute. When he did find a job, it was with some crappy company that were bad payers, and obviously had problems attrracting staff.

The 3rd one I had to keep chasing, and she kept saying "I presume you're temping in the meantime" which was daft as I have no office experience, and besides isn't she meant to be handling my employment prospects. Though bizarrely she managed to find me my current job. Though she did ring me when I started and ask me if I'd heard anything after the interview. So she was not really aware of the situation.

I would say use Agencies but be aware of a few things.
1) They charge the companies a huge amount of money. I was told unofficially that it was near Ł4K, which I daresay exaggerated, is probably only a grand or so out. And this MUST put off companies
2) If they get you a interview and you don't take the job for whatever reason. You will never hear from them again. As they must put you in the "messer" file. They aren't interested in Why you didn't take it only that you didnt.
3) Dont rely on them to do anythng. Keep sending out applications the whole time. I was convinced I would get a job myself before they offered anything at all.
4) The agencies have a habit of poaching jobs. Expecially from the "better" companies. Especially if that company has a website careers section. You'll find the same job advertised as the agency will be constantly bombarding the employers in a hope to get some money out of them. As a result the co will not even read the CV, as they won't need to pay to find the right staff.
5) Don't expect them to have "contacts" either. It soundewd to me like they were cold calling a lot of places.

Last edited by rr_ww; 16 January 2006 at 10:30 PM.
Old 16 January 2006, 10:36 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

2) If they get you a interview and you don't take the job for whatever reason. You will never hear from them again. As they must put you in the "messer" file. They aren't interested in Why you didn't take it only that you didnt.
LOL, not with some.

I had a run in with Net Recruitment several years back, they did teh usual of dressing up the job role, making it sound good and applicable to what I was looking for, with the right wage etc.

I turn up for interview, find the boss wanted nothing more than a shop floor plant mechanic and welder. Both of which I am not. The salary was much lower - even if I was suitable. And quite simply they wasted the time of both myself and the boss of the company.

I didn't bother contacting Net Recruitment from that point ever again.

3 months later I get a call about the very same job - still all dressed up with BS. I told them where to go.

About 6-7 months later I recieve a letter offering the same job again!!

Plain daftness
Old 16 January 2006, 10:48 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Least they contacted you!