Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

A few european driving questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2006, 01:11 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up A few european driving questions...

If anyone knows the answers to these then I'd be obliged.

Which european countries are linked to the DVLA?

What will I need in the spares package to drive in europe? (bulbs, warning triangle)

Which sections of the german Autobahn have no speed limits at all? (road numbers would be appreciated.)

Thanks!
astraboy.
Old 12 January 2006, 01:20 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Spare Bulbs etc are not required in all countries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnstudio
my recent experience of german autobahns is this :

a) Extremely busy
b) full of roadworks
c) rarely ( and I mean rarely) have unlimited speed zones - and these just tend to be occasional long stretches lasting maybe a few miles
d) most of the time they have a limit in force.
e) Often in sections of only two very narrow lanes..

but they are usually nice and sunn, relatively straight and cut through some wonderful countryside...

Blue Dragoon

probably great fun at night though...

a. Can be just like the UK but road discipline can be better
b. First works needed since 1945
c. Correct, big misconception. The fines and implications of speeding are big in the Fatherland. I have seen Speed cameras in whealy bins and don't forget the on the spot fines or frog march to the cashpoint. German cops are armed too
d. Sadly, yes.
e. But trucks have large areas that they cannot overtake in these 2 lane sections and they are much more disciplined. Also no truck movement on Bank Holidays and some holidays

Check Here to

http://www.rac.co.uk/web/travelservi...oring_advisor/
Old 12 January 2006, 01:25 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
my recent experience of german autobahns is this :

a) Extremely busy
b) full of roadworks
c) rarely ( and I mean rarely) have unlimited speed zones - and these just tend to be occasional long stretches lasting maybe a few miles
d) most of the time they have a limit in force.
e) Often in sections of only two very narrow lanes.
You not been trying hard enough
Old 12 January 2006, 01:29 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

You need a reflective jacket in some countries too (i.e Spain)
Old 12 January 2006, 01:43 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nevetas
You not been trying hard enough
flynnstudio not me
Old 12 January 2006, 03:44 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

You defo need the triangle, and may as well take everything else you can think of too in that department as it's relatively cheap. Take a spare GB sticker / magnet too.

Leave your roadangel at home or it will end up in a french bin.

As far as I am aware currently, no countries are linked to the DVLA, but there is a company, Euro something collections, who have decided to make some cash by tracing British drivers for European countries.

Not exactly sure what the law is with that and I have to say I wouldn't let it slow me down!

The autobahn is great, even in the speed restricted parts, it's the best motorway I've been on. Lane discipline is excellent and traffic moves. You will probably see no speed restrictions on 20% of the route in Germany. It's well sign posted and well enforced. The only time I saw anything remotely negative was an English Fiesta hogging the fast lane at 65mph!

There are rumours the french use the autoroute tolls to measure average speed, but I don't believe it and ave never seen any example of it but just take it easy around the toll areas where they tend to camp out.

Where you going?
Old 12 January 2006, 04:01 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ALi-B
You need a reflective jacket in some countries too (i.e Spain)
Also Portugal - dayglo yellow with reflective stripes (an astraboy speciality IIRC). And IMHO one of the best laws they've passed, now it's SO much easier to see drivers/passengers wandering around the hard shoulder when they've stopped for some reason. Cats eyes from UK, but this also should be made compulsory across Europe. Jackets cost £3.50 if that, and have the potential for saving a lot of accidents. Even though you're supposed to use a triangle, I'd say it's the jacket that also alerts me to the stopped car, as they're visible from such a distance.

Sorry for the digression, carry on
Old 12 January 2006, 05:13 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=2000TLondon]

Does that inlcude all GPS units or just a roadangel?

Originally Posted by 2000TLondon
Where you going?
I can honestly say I dont know!
astraboy.
Old 12 January 2006, 08:44 PM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

If it looks like a radar detector, chances are you will lose it. I have had no problems with my tomtom satnav with camera database loaded though.

I believe spare bulbs are required in Germany, if thats where you are heading. Also as said, more and more autobahns are having limits applied. Some have variable limits, like the M25, when the traffic is heavy there is a limit otherwise it maybe unrestricted. Where there are limits they are well signposted, but by the same token they are also well enforced.

Last edited by mannyo; 12 January 2006 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12 January 2006, 11:57 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=astraboy]
Originally Posted by 2000TLondon

Does that inlcude all GPS units or just a roadangel?

I can honestly say I dont know!
astraboy.
I took my navman through france, spain, germany, switzerland and italy. no problems, although I was only stopping at the borders. Got turned away at swiss border as I'd managed to lose my front number plate. Came back with a piece of cardboard taped on and no probs.

Got caught on a speed gun by a french gendarme (who was lurking behind a hill on the autoroute) at about 130mph, but decided to press on the last seven or eight miles to calais and have never heard anything. I was climbing the next hill as he was reaching his car, though!
Old 13 January 2006, 10:53 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Hmm. Has anyone ever seen a foreign registered vehicle with suitable kit on it for the UK? I see heaps of cars and lorries without lense defractors on them which makes you wonder why we bother, unless there is a suitabel explanation for it?

You don't need to carry a spare or any GB sticker if you have Euro plates.
Old 13 January 2006, 10:56 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

FCD - they are unlikely to be caught by cameras ((c)NSR 2005). We however are v. likely to be caught by gendarmes or other traffic patrols. HTH
Old 13 January 2006, 11:05 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
Hmm. Has anyone ever seen a foreign registered vehicle with suitable kit on it for the UK? I see heaps of cars and lorries without lense defractors on them which makes you wonder why we bother, unless there is a suitabel explanation for it?

You don't need to carry a spare or any GB sticker if you have Euro plates.
Some modern cars actually have levers on the back ofthe headlamps to convert the beams from RH to LH. BMWs do for sure

But most cars don't, so it's just the owners/drivers not givving a t**s
Old 13 January 2006, 12:46 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
FCD - they are unlikely to be caught by cameras ((c)NSR 2005). We however are v. likely to be caught by gendarmes or other traffic patrols. HTH
Yes. I can relate to that.

I was just curious as there is a great deal of controversy in Spain at present, with British peasants continuing to use their cars on British plates (outside of the six months grace period) which means they are running round with no ITV/MOT and possibly invalid insurance. The fact that many Spanish motors are death traps is conveniently forgotten, which is another example of double standards I suppose.

Ali-B - I'll check my wife's car for the levers but I sure there aren't any on Scoobs are there?
Old 13 January 2006, 01:42 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I very much doubt scoobs have them (classics definitely don't)...I've seen lawnmowers that are more technically advanced than Subarus

FWIW, there doesn't seem to be that many cars that appear to be unroadworthy in the parts of spain I travel in - the worst ones usually are the ones with British, French or East European plates. However, you never really can tell until you have a look for the horrors underneath (like 1" of play in the ball joints and no oil in the shocks ).
Old 13 January 2006, 02:03 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I very much doubt scoobs have them (classics definitely don't)...I've seen lawnmowers that are more technically advanced than Subarus

FWIW, there doesn't seem to be that many cars that appear to be unroadworthy in the parts of spain I travel in - the worst ones usually are the ones with British, French or East European plates. However, you never really can tell until you have a look for the horrors underneath (like 1" of play in the ball joints and no oil in the shocks ).
You need to come down my way then. Jose's mule from next door stands a better chance of passing the MOT than some of the motors (unfortunately, many of them Santanas) that I've seen although I agree, there are far too many foreign oik motors around.
Old 13 January 2006, 02:27 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
Yes. I can relate to that.

Oh yeah, whoops, sorry genuinely forgot
Old 05 February 2006, 05:37 PM
Lee_1075
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mannyo
If it looks like a radar detector, chances are you will lose it. I have had no problems with my tomtom satnav with camera database loaded though.

I believe spare bulbs are required in Germany, if thats where you are heading. Also as said, more and more autobahns are having limits applied. Some have variable limits, like the M25, when the traffic is heavy there is a limit otherwise it maybe unrestricted. Where there are limits they are well signposted, but by the same token they are also well enforced.
Rader warners arnt allowed over here in Germany and the nice Policeman will take it off of you for good!. You dont need spare bulbs over here as a requirement, you must have:
Warning triangle and a First aid kit that is LAW. A Petrol canister could be useful to because If you run out of petrol on the AB out here you can get a hefty fine. To the speed limits many ABs dont have them it depends really where you go to, as a rule the German Law says that the "recommended limit" is 130 Kmh, but it isnt a must. Most 2 lane ABs are limited as are roadworks. If you come from Dover-Calais route then the A40 that will be the first AB in Germany that you will come on, its also the worst one and is generally limited between 50mph - 65 mph. Get off the A40 onto the A57 towards Nimwegen which is also limited, then go on the A42 towards Dortmund, get off again at the cross roads for the A2 towards Dortmund. This is the main Autobahn between Oberhausen and Berlin has a few limits when it goes into two lanes or the road works appear. Dont forget the Football world cup is being held here and they are rebuilding the ABs like mad to cope. As soon as you see this sign (ignore the 70 in the middle of the white sign) then you can put you foot down as much as you want on the motorway!, on B-roads that same sign means MAX 100KMH!!. Also dont forget Priorty roads and the "giveway to the right rule"! If you see a speed limit sign on the AB like this then keep to it!, then German Police are renound for camoflaged Speed Cameras!. Also you may see that speed restriction sign with the words "bei nässe", under the Nr, you can then ignore this speed limit if its not raining.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: this may help too: http://german.about.com/library/blauto_traf.htm

Last edited by Lee_1075; 05 February 2006 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05 February 2006, 08:19 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

if your feeling brave and confident, do it at night...

we did a very quick dash to Saarlouis in Germany after taking the 10pm tunnell from the uk, we blasted through france, belguim and down to luxembourg, before nipping into germany we arrived at out hotel at 5am... and managed 2 hrs kip before going into our customers plant

most of the trip was 100mph with the autobahns and some deserted french roads offering speeds in excess of that

Mart
Old 05 February 2006, 09:17 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

We went to Germany a couple of years back, on the Mosel not far from Frankfurt Hahn airport. The route to Trier took in an Autobahn which as far as I know was unrestricted. Either that or I was going too fast to see a speed limit sign

Did get up to 130mph before the traffic started getting slightly heavier and I thought 80 was a bit more sensible

I took spare bulbs, first aid kit and a warning triangle.