Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Daft Car insurance question...

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2006, 11:09 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daft Car insurance question...

If someone tries to break-in/steal your car by jimmying the lock, causing damage to the door, the lock, the handle, and the alarm, which result in you having to phone the lovely insurance people (theiving gets), obviously it is classed as a claim but....

does it count against your no-claims bonus etc?? I suspect it does but just wondered... some buggar has done this to my car tonight..
Old 06 January 2006, 11:10 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

It will probably be classed as a claim as your insurance company cannot claim from them. Ask them if they have uninsured loss protection.

Last edited by Scooby-Doo; 06 January 2006 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06 January 2006, 11:20 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Originally Posted by Scooby-Doo
It will probably be classed as a claim as your insurance company cannot claim from them. Ask them if they have uninsured loss protection.
ahh thank you.. i said it was daft..
Old 06 January 2006, 11:43 PM
DarkForce
Scooby Regular

Actually, in a similar vein to the original question - if all the above stuff happens and you only have TPF&T insurance, will you be covered as it's an attempted theft?
Old 06 January 2006, 11:44 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Take into account your excess and the resulting increase in premium due to dropping a few years NCB (assuming you had a lot of NCB) you may find a claim could be false economy.

How much ££ damage do you think has been done?
Old 06 January 2006, 11:49 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Take into account your excess and the resulting increase in premium due to dropping a few years NCB (assuming you had a lot of NCB) you may find a claim could be false economy.

How much ££ damage do you think has been done?
Am not sure tbh. It's not a fancy car,just a Vectra SRi. We did think about £250 but that was before I realised the locking system won't double lock and set the immobilser...

I have never had anything like this b4 - they were taking a chance as it was outside my fiance's parents house, on a fairly well used country lane which they would have been blocking their car with. The alarm went off and they scarpered... so I suppose i got off lightly..little *******
Old 07 January 2006, 01:31 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Just got back from the garage...£700+ damage... fecking *******...
Old 07 January 2006, 02:43 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkForce
Actually, in a similar vein to the original question - if all the above stuff happens and you only have TPF&T insurance, will you be covered as it's an attempted theft?
No, you'll only be attempted covered.

Sorry
Old 07 January 2006, 04:07 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear it Ginge. However, to answer some questions.

does it count against your no-claims bonus
There's a reason why the call it a no-claims bonus . It will count, but as someone else has said, if you calculate how much bonus you will lose this year and next and compare it with the cost of the damage it may not be worth claiming.

Next question
if all the above stuff happens and you only have TPF&T insurance, will you be covered as it's an attempted theft
I've just had a look at my policy and under the fire & theft section it says "If your car is lost or damaged as a result of theft, attempted theft, fire, lightning or explosion..." and then goes on to say what they will do, so attempted theft is covered (at least it is with the Halifax).