Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hard Shoulder Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2006, 12:16 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hard Shoulder Ticket

Can't say I have seen anything on this on here but there again as I am an infrequent vistor this post could well be a SIAL.

Heard on the news 2 days ago that a woman driver, confused and lost on one of our Motorways, saw a Police patrol car on the hard shoulder and pulled over to ask for help. What she got instead was a £30 fixed penalty for parking on the hard shoulder.

Now given that she could reasonably argue that as she was lost and confused she was becoming an increasing danger on the motorway and did the sensible thing by pulling over to ask for help before she caused major accident through driver inattention, I am at a loss as to why she got ticketed. Any views on this?

Can we please not turn this into a slag fest against the police? I am genuinely curious as to what kind of thinking would get a patrol officer to act in this seemingly illogical way.

I admit I wasn't there, did not know how dangerous the road conditions were, etc, but I wonder how this could have happened if the driver was simply trying to essentially avoid a stressed situation that may have caused a major accident down the line.

WB
Old 06 January 2006, 12:21 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ONLY choice the woman had in reality was to continue to the next junction anyway, whether she asked for help or not!

Therefore IMO she should have calmed down, engaged brain, continued to the next junction and THEN asked for assistance once off of the motorway,That's not the place to ask advise, Copper or Arkangel Gabriel !

You can hardly get totally lost these days though can you

I used to turn up roads I didn't know just for fun when I first learnt to drive.

Andy

Last edited by Fuzz; 06 January 2006 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06 January 2006, 12:27 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Ticket was overzealous IMO.

Just point her in the right direction and warn her it is highly dangerous and an offence to park on the hard shoulder (unless in an emergency) and she "could" be fined. Then send her on her way.

Probably just another "by the book" copper, rather than one with a decent level of initiative and common sense. (and before anyone commnets...there are plenty of good coppers out there that are capeable of using discretion in terms of upholding the law )

Last edited by ALi-B; 06 January 2006 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06 January 2006, 12:38 AM
pj748r
Scooby Regular

Copper should have used common sense and warned her that it was against the law to stop on the hard shoulder,and then told her where she needed to go.Unfortunately some of them don't have the common sense they were born with,then they wonder why they feel alienated against the general public!
If it was my missus I think I would have been writing an official letter of complaint about this arsehole.One of their remits is to help the Public and if my missus had been lost and stopped to ask a Police Officer directions and got a ticket,I don't think I would have been too happy!
Old 06 January 2006, 07:01 AM
DJ73
Scooby Regular

Why was he stopped on the hard shoulder ???police business ??? if there was no reason he should also be given a ticket , seem's these w@nker's can do ( with in reason ) what they want while on " duty ",,,,,, toss pot's !!!!
Old 06 January 2006, 07:20 AM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

Why didn't she make a list of directions before she went anywhere ie junctions, roads, right, left etc - its not as if the Toll road appeared overnight is it?!? If you aren't sure, go to the next junction and turn back then, regardless of what kind of raod you are on.
Granted it was a bit harsh for a ticket however how many times have you seen someone act stupidly and wish there was a traffic cop around to catch them?

PS - I was renowned for my crap sense of direction on the road too!!
Old 06 January 2006, 09:17 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

What a stupid bint. So she should get booked. And it's only £30 not the end of the world! She should have gone to ask at some services or something.
Old 06 January 2006, 09:39 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ73
Why was he stopped on the hard shoulder ???police business ??? if there was no reason he should also be given a ticket , seem's these w@nker's can do ( with in reason ) what they want while on " duty ",,,,,, toss pot's !!!!
Oh, grow up!

The police could have any number of reasons for being on the hard shoulder (e.g. they just pulled someone over etc.).

Anyway, we DON'T know the full story. Could be an over zealous copper, however I think far more likely is that she pulled over, they told her what to do/where to go and warned her about stopping on the hard shoulder. She then failed the attitude test or had a go at the copper or denied she did anything wrong etc.
Old 06 January 2006, 09:40 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Could have just told her to turn around and go back the way she came?
Old 06 January 2006, 10:00 AM
Dick Cheese
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wacky.banana
Now given that she could reasonably argue that as she was lost and confused she was becoming an increasing danger on the motorway and did the sensible thing by pulling over to ask for help before she caused major accident through driver inattention, I am at a loss as to why she got ticketed. Any views on this?
WB
Are you serious?!! Just because I'm lost and confused doesn't mean I'm about to cause a major pile-up. Complete nonsense! Driver inattention? That could be covered under the "Driving without due care and attention" offence. The sensible thing to do would be to READ the signs - (BIG letters for stupid people) and CHOOSE where to go. I would much rather drive 20 miles out of my way if I missed a junction than to try to take a junction if I had to cause another car to swerve, or if I had to move from right-lane to left slip road.

She was a numptie and we should learn from her actions, not try to justify what she did.
Old 06 January 2006, 11:27 AM
Arctic Chill
Scooby Newbie

I agree it was maybe a little over the top, but, as has been mentioned, we don't know the full circumstances.
I also agree that being lost is no excuse for dangerous behaviour. A lot of people think that because they have a licence they can do whatever they what.
Old 06 January 2006, 12:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think it is a bit unfair to assume that the woman was unpleasant to the copper when we just don't know that at all.

If all she did was to ask for directions then if I was the copper I would feel ashamed at taking advantage of the opportunity to give her a penalty for doing so.

Les
Old 06 January 2006, 12:09 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

i think we all realise that:

a) the lady shouldn't have stopped on the hard shoulder just because she was lost but people do odd things when they get panicky. like go up that flight of stairs in the old house straight into the arms of the maniac waiting.

b) the rozzer should have realised this, warned her, helped her and sent her on her way without being so officious.

both parties apparently in error on these facts but you never know, said bird might have got arsey when advised that the hard shoulder is not a car park so the rozzer reacted accordingly to a tiresomely rude member of GPublic.

one wonders if the same thing would have happened if she had pulled over in distress because she was being dangerously tailgated by some raging loon (inevitably in a 318i or a filthy white van, respectively driven by a hair-gelled UPVC window rep or an educationally sub-normal mong with a crewcut, beer belly and an england football top).
Old 06 January 2006, 12:10 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

sorry leslie you sorta got there before me.
Old 06 January 2006, 12:18 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

I wonder if she pulled up BEHIND the patrol car, thereby giving herself nowhere to go and partly obscuring the police car. Then he'd have to move in order for her to safely proceed, so if that was the case I'm not that surprised that she was given a ticket to concentrate her mind in future... IMHO a stern warning would probably have done it, but we don't know the facts.
Old 06 January 2006, 02:15 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Agree with ricardo here possibly the issuing of the ticket was the best a way of reinforcing the lesson to the person, you dont stop on the motorway !
Lets be honest who has not been pulled up and got off with a lecture and thought phew ! and then after a period of time done the same again - speeding for example.
I dont think the lady in question will be stopping on motorways any more !
Richard

Last edited by richs2891; 06 January 2006 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06 January 2006, 11:45 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK guys, just got back to this. As I said earlier we don't know the full facts so probably a bit hard to comment.

However given that one of our number posted up a couple of weeks ago as to how his female partner feared for her life because she was relentlessley chased by some fool and suffered serious road rage just because she did not overtake a car as fast as he wanted her to (someone may find the thread on this), I'm not sure that its right to, in effect send a signal to women drivers that if they, say, have real fears for their safety, can't get to the next slip road quick enough, see a patrol car on the hard shoulder and they stop for help (lets assume that they parked safely on the hard shoulder and are not an immediate danger to anyone) that the response could be a fixed penalty.

As someone said earlier rational thinking does go out the window when one is stressed. Just because we think we might be able to act rationally in a stressed situation doesn't mean that everyone else can.

Again I stress that full facts in this case are not known. However it is quite valid to have a sensible debate around a hypothetical but very real scenario (contradiction in terms but you know what I mean).
Old 07 January 2006, 06:39 AM
DJ73
Scooby Regular

Oh, grow up!

The police could have any number of reasons for being on the hard shoulder (e.g. they just pulled someone over etc.).

Anyway, we DON'T know the full story. Could be an over zealous copper, however I think far more likely is that she pulled over, they told her what to do/where to go and warned her about stopping on the hard shoulder. She then failed the attitude test or had a go at the copper or denied she did anything wrong etc.
Grow up ???

they might have but it does'nt say what ? could have been sat eating donut's
How do you know she failed a attitude test as you said we DON'T know the full story
all i know is i see load's of copper's driving and abusing it !!!! look at how many police driver's have got away with speeding ticket's and they seem to park on double yellow's while getting the dinner's in without getting parking ticket's

Last edited by DJ73; 07 January 2006 at 06:42 AM.