Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Returning a poor camera

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2006, 10:43 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Returning a poor camera

Interesting question for you all then, my mate bought a camera online for his other halfs christmas pressie. They used it Christmas Day and Boxing Day and it ate the batteries and he wishes to return it. This is the email string so far...

Order Number - xxxxxxxx
Product Code - xxxxxxxxxxxx
Reason for return - The battery life on this camera is appalling, 2 X AAA batteries will last less than 1hr and if used frequently less than 1/2 hour! I've spent £10 on batteries in less than 2 days.

---------------------

Digital Cameras do use an intensive amount of batteries and normaly we would recommend rechargeable batteries. Although this does sound a little extreme.

xxxxx have a 0906 number for technical support but I have spoken to a couple of people and I have been told to give you the number below for technical support.

Hopefully they will be able to resolve your problem.

Kind Regards,

----------------------

I have spoken to the xxxxxx technical help desk and have been advised that the camera is operating as designed, I therefore of the opinion that the perform of this product is unacceptable. Unfortunately and accordance with my statuary rights I request a full refund or replace with an attentive product.

Kind regards

-----------------------

My apolgies for not getting chance to return you call this afternoon.

I have checked into this as much as possible and as you yourself agree the product is not faulty. Therefore we would be unable to accept it for return as such.

We would be able to accept it back with a restocking fee of 30%. This is to cover the administration behind the return.

Should you have a problem with the way the product operates when operating correctly then I must ask that you discuss this futher with the manufacturer.

Regards,

------ End of email exchange so far ----------

Now hes asked me to write him a reply because apparently Im good at getting ar$ey with companies this is what I got so far. Whats you lots opinion on it ???

Thank you for your reply, although I am a little disgruntled at the response. It’s not a matter of whether or not the product is faulty, the point is the product is unfit for sale to the public to perform what it has been designed for, because of this I must point out to you that according to the Sale and Supply of Goods act 1994 Section 1 (2B) states a product must be sold, and I quote

For the purposes of this Act, the quality of goods includes their state and condition and the following (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods—

(a) fitness for all the purposes for which goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied,

(b) appearance and finish,

(c) freedom from minor defects,

(d) safety, and

(e) durability.

Please note point (a) fitness for which goods of this kind in question are commonly supplied and (e) Durability. My complaint of this product is its life span is appalling even when being used with good quality, expensive batteries and on a day trip out would be un-useable. My experience with the camera is solely with the photography side, according to your advert, the product is suitable for movies record and playback. I dread to think the battery life on this camera if I had tried to record a movie and then watch it back. Again this falls in the above act.

I hope the above is satisfactory enough for you to supply me with a full refund as I am not simply returning the product as unwanted.

I shall await your response.

Regards,
Old 05 January 2006, 10:54 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

I know its not the quetion you asked, but digi cams eat batteries, particularly if you are using the screen on the back all the time.

Either use the very best batteries, or buy a set of rechargeables.

Or ask for a replacement and see if that is any better.
Old 05 January 2006, 11:01 AM
eldudereno
Scooby Regular

Even if you don't use the LCD screen they still eat the batteries, all digi cameras are the same.

You need some high capacity rechargeable batteries like these ones from Argos.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...2Bchargers.htm

Last edited by eldudereno; 05 January 2006 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05 January 2006, 11:01 AM
Kuro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diablo
I know its not the quetion you asked, but digi cams eat batteries, particularly if you are using the screen on the back all the time.

Either use the very best batteries, or buy a set of rechargeables.

Or ask for a replacement and see if that is any better.
I once (stupidly) put some Tesco batteries in our Fuji - it took 4 photos and collasped wheezing on the floor.

What type of batteries are you using, we used Energizer Ultimate (or something like that) and they were designed for this type of use and consequently excellent.

Other than that, I can recommend the Sony DSC-W17 which used two batteries during 250+ images. (and they're still going!)
Old 05 January 2006, 11:12 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

You cant really return it if there is nothing wrong with it?

Is he just unhappy about the batteries or does he want to return it because he has actually "changed his mind?".

Because if I had bought a camera I would want to find out how to fix the batteries as I bought the camera and still needed it??? I wouldn't want to return it?

I recently purchased a fuji camera the AA batteries that came with it only lasted about 40 shots, the rechargable batteries I recently purchased for £20 have so far lasted 200 to 300 shots.

Dan,
who has to deal with customer returns and sales on the internet ebay and in shops.
Old 05 January 2006, 11:21 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
You cant really return it if there is nothing wrong with it?

Is he just unhappy about the batteries or does he want to return it because he has actually "changed his mind?".

Because if I had bought a camera I would want to find out how to fix the batteries as I bought the camera and still needed it??? I wouldn't want to return it?

I recently purchased a fuji camera the AA batteries that came with it only lasted about 40 shots, the rechargable batteries I recently purchased for £20 have so far lasted 200 to 300 shots.

Dan,
who has to deal with customer returns and sales on the internet ebay and in shops.
its not that hes changed his mind, its the fact he bought it and used it on christmas day and was very dissapointed after half hour when it died. Theyre completely unimpressed by the quality of the product.

I should imagine he'll buy another camera but something a bit better next time...

any links to the rechargeable batteries for £20? hes had a scout around the net and finding £40+ average for something with a charger etc.
Old 05 January 2006, 11:22 AM
Dick Cheese
Scooby Regular

Get some GOOD rechargeables before you send it back. I had a similar problem, I bought some high capacity ansmann batteries with the camera, they would take about 5 flash photos before expiring. I was on holiday at the time and spent a fortune on Duracell (not knowing they were unsuitable for digital cameras). The duracells would take about 3 flash photos before expiring.
The camera was returned and I received a new one, at which point I realised that the ansmann batteries were faulty!
Old 05 January 2006, 11:25 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Energiser Ultimate or Duracell M3's work well in digicams. My old Fuji used to eat batteries if I used the screen but with limited screen use and the aforementioned batteries it would take a couple of hundred pics over two to three days before giving up. On the other hand my Canon Ixus has awesome battery life and that's with using the screen all the time, I've taken over 600 pics on a two week period and am only still on the second battery
Old 05 January 2006, 11:25 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

duracell work fine on my kodak?

He also says hes unhappy with the quality of the photos in the dark, anything at night time is poor. Generally the camera isnt upto standards in his opinion, so whats the rights?
Old 05 January 2006, 11:32 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I purchased from this bloke:

http://www.greatdigitaldeals.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=8{3}9{4}9{31}12{16}9{ 34}9&osCsid=170590118f4e80dd2500a9b6a28dbbb8

He also sells them on ebay as well, depends on what camera hes got, to what type of battery will fit. What make is it?

I was siapointed when I got mine and the batteries went flat in only a few shots but like I sais above as soon as I put a decent set of rechargeable in they have lasted for ages and show no sign of running out yet!
Old 05 January 2006, 01:09 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I presume there's nothing on the box or in the manual that gives any ideas re battery life?? Sounds like an "unfit for purpose", or whatever the expression is, claim as one could argue that the man on the Clapham Omnibus would expect the damn batteries to last longer than they do. I'd suggest that you give your local trading standards office a ring as they may give an opinion although they do try and sit on the fence. You could also threaten supplier with small claims court and they may back down. dl
Old 05 January 2006, 01:21 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

As above, battery type is really critical with cameras. My Cannon A60 will eat a set of 4 Duracell AA batteries in about 5 shots with the flash. With a set 2000mAh Ni-MH battreis they last for around 50-60 shots.

Use a minumum of 2000mAh Ni-Mh rechargables for cameras

Ni-CD, alkaline or anything less than 1700mAh is NOT suitable.

If that doesn't fix it, send it back

Last edited by ALi-B; 05 January 2006 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05 January 2006, 01:27 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

why have you all got cameras where you have to replace them all the time. dont they make cameras with a rechargeable lithium battery anymore ?
Old 05 January 2006, 01:35 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Cheaper digicams tend to be built for AA batteries. More pricey ones tend to come with lithium-ion. Advantage of AA is that should you run out of juice in the wilds away from electricity, you can get AA spares anywhere.

Saying that, I've just bought 32 x AA's (2500mAh) on Ebay for about £20. Quality looks good. Compare this to 4 x 2500mAh AA's in Argos/Maplin etc for £15.
Old 05 January 2006, 01:42 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with the camera. Perfectly normal. A good set of rechargable NiMH will solve the battery problem.

But if he insists on sending it back, never mind the Sale and Supply of Goods Act, look into the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000. If he has given written notice of his intention to return the product within seven days of receiving it, they pretty much have to take it back and refund costs (with a few exceptions).

Cheers

Ian
Old 05 January 2006, 02:16 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Cheers Ian, thats good to know, I dont know when he actually received it so Ive passed on the info, I know he sent the complaint in via email asking for a refund on the 29th so fingers crossed he received it just before christmas.
Old 05 January 2006, 02:20 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IWatkins
Doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with the camera. Perfectly normal. A good set of rechargable NiMH will solve the battery problem.

But if he insists on sending it back, never mind the Sale and Supply of Goods Act, look into the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000. If he has given written notice of his intention to return the product within seven days of receiving it, they pretty much have to take it back and refund costs (with a few exceptions).

Cheers

Ian
Excellent point Ian. (I'd missed the bought on line bit in original post).

===========
the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 may apply to your business.

Key features of the regulations:

the consumer must be given clear information about the goods or services offered
after making a purchase the consumer must be sent confirmation
consumer has a cooling-off period of 7 working days
new powers for local Trading Standards Departments and the OFT
==========
Old 05 January 2006, 04:54 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Try www.7dayshop.com for rechargeables - they are about half the price of the advertisers at the bottom of this thread. Make sure you get Ni-Mh ones 800-900 mAh.

Last edited by GaryCat; 05 January 2006 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05 January 2006, 06:03 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IWatkins

Cheers

Ian
I think he would have a job sending it back under the DSR, you are technically allowed to open and inspect the goods (although 95% of place wont take them back if they have been opened) but as he has sent a email saying that he has been using the camera it would make it almost impossible to return them under the DSR. I dont think he's entitled to the postage costs to or from the supplier either if he did manage to get them to take it back under DSR.

What makes the camera is it a brand name Fuji, sony Olympus or is is something slightly dodgy like Trust or Vivitar?
Old 05 January 2006, 06:11 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Just a suggestion...
If trading standards etc are not help ( we have contacted them before and they were next to useless), and in light of the customers dissatisfaction, and that they have admitted that the battery situation is a 'little extreme', could it not be requested that the company provides the rechargable batteries FOC??
Old 05 January 2006, 07:45 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Not a Minolta by any chance is it?

I bought one, cost me a packet too, it's the Dimage 7i. It REALLY eats batteries. I have THREE sets of NiMH batteries all good makes, one 1700mAh, one 2000mAh and the last 2100mAh, it just chews 'em up and spits 'em out dead.

Add to that the fact that they WILL NOT hold theior charge when not in use for any more than 2 weeks, and tyhe camera spends it's time in a box on the top of my wardrobe. Minolta were singularly unhelpful.

Some of the camera amnufacturers don't do themselves any favours: I can imaginer someone buying one, finding it ate batteries, and going back to film. How does that help their customer base?

I now have a Nikon D70 with Li-Ion battery, much better.

Alcazar
Old 05 January 2006, 09:27 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

My old Canon camera will take 1400 shots before I start to worry about battery life. Mind you the battery is bigger than most point and shoot cameras.

Cheers

Ian
Old 06 January 2006, 03:49 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Sounds shocking performance. I would also expect 1000 shots from my Canon (no flash) before needing to recharge.