SPEED CAMERAS

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2006, 05:51 PM
steve2k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPEED CAMERAS

Hello peeps,

Was thinking about buying a Speed camera detector and also GPS system but not sure which one to purchase. I know certain GPS systems have speed zones alarms, but do they detect them Sneaky mobile cameras which park up anywhere making milions out of the public. If so which ones and how much are they. If not the which individual ones and how much are is i looking to pay. Thanks for your help.

steve.
Old 05 January 2006, 06:12 PM
TREG
Scooby Regular

I have the ROAD ANGEL NAVIGATOR.It costs around £500 in the shops or £300 via ebay.
It covers all of what you have mentioned above and alot more.
Old 05 January 2006, 06:19 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by steve2k
Hello peeps,

Was thinking about buying a Speed camera detector and also GPS system but not sure which one to purchase. I know certain GPS systems have speed zones alarms, but do they detect them Sneaky mobile cameras which park up anywhere making milions out of the public. If so which ones and how much are they. If not the which individual ones and how much are is i looking to pay. Thanks for your help.

steve.
Yes, the RA is programmed with the "plug and pay" variety of cameras. but may not get em all, as -I believe- are most GPS based locators. If you're refering to scamera vans and hand held lazer traps, then the RA2 will pick them up -as will any system with lazer detection- but generally by the time it detects it, they've got a read on your car unless you get a lucky deflection from another car, so they are of limited efficacy in preventing you from getting caught, but are a useful way of letting you know where they tend to hide out and also reassuring you that you've not been caught if you've been a little enthusiastic.......................if you see what I'm getting at!

NS04
Old 05 January 2006, 06:22 PM
John57
Scooby Regular

My Road Angel II warns you of known mobile camera sites - as published by most camera partnerships ..... what it doesn't and can't do is warn you of the -allegedly- 15% of times they are free to wander where they like. They can go to areas of 'community concern'. These vary so the people at Road Angel don't really know from one day to the next where they will be.

One other problem with the mobile sites is that the camera operators vary where they sit - the A217 in Surrey between Reigate and Sutton is a mobile site...... but a bit of a long one - the camera partnerships don't tell you exactly where their vans sits and on this road they use about 6 or 7 separate locations just to keep you on your toes! No GPS based detectors help you out in these situations ......

The RA 2 does have a Laser detector but - as has been mentioned above - it is not really much use as the camera operator is seeing your speed literally the split second the RA2 bleeps ...... and thats if the RA2 catches the laser at all.

Last edited by John57; 05 January 2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06 January 2006, 11:53 AM
scoobynewbie1
Scooby Regular

I have just added "Safe Speed" to the standard RAC Trackstar on the WRX 300.

http://www.ractrackstar.co.uk/speed-...rotection.aspx

Seems to work OK without being too annoying and intrusive. I was worried it was going to be too loud but even though it goes off every 10 seconds on the bottom of the M25 on the way to work, it's tolerable.

Only works on the fixed permanent camera sites though, but does know when you are going the wrong way for the camera and doesn't trigger an alarm.

It's only gone off once so far without there actually being a camera there, but it may be that it was just down a side road that I passed.

Hope this helps
Old 06 January 2006, 01:00 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

The database that most of the Smartphone/PDA solutions (TomTom etc which use GPS) use was put together by the general public. So if they notice a camera then its on the database, regardless of its it's fixed, mobile or other.

Of course it's only as good as the data fed into it. It goes off on the A3 just past Guildford (North) for a mobile I've never seen, yet drive there everyday. It also had an update for the Ewell bypass as soon as they moved and added the extra camera in Ewell. But there is one in Tadworth that is a year out of date.

Of course you also have to remember to update the database as well!
Old 06 January 2006, 01:06 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this device ............ 100% reliable if used in accordance with the instructions - which are very intuitive!

VERY cheap too ..... maybe your car actually has the wiring for one and even the mounting points supplied!

I can HIGHLY recommend it!!

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=...peedometer.jpg

Pete
Old 06 January 2006, 01:09 PM
wide
Scooby Regular

Old 06 January 2006, 01:10 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wide
You struggle with ...... what exactly??

Pete
Old 06 January 2006, 01:18 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Why not remove your numberplate - the worst you will get is a producer
Old 06 January 2006, 01:20 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Why not remove your numberplate - the worst you will get is a producer
Why not stick to the Speed Limit and don't even get a producer????

Pete
Old 06 January 2006, 01:22 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

Heed your own words Mr Lewis - he hasn't been done for speeding, you have!
Old 06 January 2006, 01:23 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Talking

Originally Posted by scoob_babe
Heed your own words Mr Lewis - he hasn't been done for speeding, you have!
Brutal!
Old 06 January 2006, 02:37 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by John57
My Road Angel II warns you of known mobile camera sites - as published by most camera partnerships ..... what it doesn't and can't do is warn you of the -allegedly- 15% of times they are free to wander where they like. They can go to areas of 'community concern'. These vary so the people at Road Angel don't really know from one day to the next where they will be.

One other problem with the mobile sites is that the camera operators vary where they sit - the A217 in Surrey between Reigate and Sutton is a mobile site...... but a bit of a long one - the camera partnerships don't tell you exactly where their vans sits and on this road they use about 6 or 7 separate locations just to keep you on your toes! No GPS based detectors help you out in these situations ......

The RA 2 does have a Laser detector but - as has been mentioned above - it is not really much use as the camera operator is seeing your speed literally the split second the RA2 bleeps ...... and thats if the RA2 catches the laser at all.
agreed, but you can add all moblie sites as poi,s

Mart
Old 06 January 2006, 02:41 PM
imi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynewbie1
I have just added "Safe Speed" to the standard RAC Trackstar on the WRX 300.

http://www.ractrackstar.co.uk/speed-...rotection.aspx

Seems to work OK without being too annoying and intrusive. I was worried it was going to be too loud but even though it goes off every 10 seconds on the bottom of the M25 on the way to work, it's tolerable.

Only works on the fixed permanent camera sites though, but does know when you are going the wrong way for the camera and doesn't trigger an alarm.

It's only gone off once so far without there actually being a camera there, but it may be that it was just down a side road that I passed.

Hope this helps
you can reduce the volume in order to make it less intrusive...
Old 06 January 2006, 03:54 PM
T20Driver
Scooby Regular

I find the Drive-Smart http://www.drive-smart.co.uk first rate for identifying all fixed and mobile sites.

It also knows what direction the cameras are in and so there are very few 'false alerts' and there is a clever piece of software that provides you with your average speed through SPECS areas.

The European Camera Locations DB is also updated (near enough) daily - FREE btw - with pleanty of updates/feedback coming from users via their active and helpful forum.

At less that £200 I think ... its very good value with money: which will be even more effective when coupled with their recently announced 'garage door opener' (Defender 2).